APOD: Phobos from Mars Express (2010 Mar 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Seljuk
Asternaut

Re: APOD: Phobos from Mars Express (2010 Mar 17)

Post by Seljuk » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:25 pm

wonderboy wrote:What about Olympus Mons, is it possible that there was such a massive eruption from this huge volcano that chunks from the martian surface ended up in orbit around the planet? This is a very VERY distant possibility but it should be noted that volcano's on our planet can blast stuff pretty high into the atmosphere, why couldn't a volcano the size of Olympus Mons blast something that high from the interior of the planet. It could explain the idea of sedimentary deposits on the moon. I still stand by my original idea though :P.
:rocketship: With the Space Shuttle program coming to an end, volcanic propulsion is the way of the future...to infinity and beyond! :mrgreen:

Seljuk
Asternaut

Post by Seljuk » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:48 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:This image demonstrates that the "Grooves" don't always travel in the same linear direction. Look at the Orbit 748 image (upper right) And This surface map also indicates cross banding in the left hand region. And Here is a nice red/blue 3D image showing Cross Banding
Thank you for the links, i had not seen these images before. Looking back at the Orbit 748 image, when you think about the size of the impact crater on the upper right side of the blob, dont you think Phobos should have shattered to bits unless it absorbed the impact like a waterballoon would(apparently the gravity isnt all that small). And to add to that, there is no prominence on the opposite side. This little potato is absorbing impacts like a feathery cushion. I want to guess the grooves are ripple effects from the impacts but they seemed to have formed earlier and they are not circular in shape dispersing from a fixed center.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:02 pm

Hofi
Ensign

Post by Hofi » Thu May 06, 2010 2:49 pm

Is it actually better known why the axial tilt is 177.3°? I just have heard that Venus possibly was hit by a huger object. How sure do "we" know that?

(Just because of the discussion on page 1 and 2)
Best wishes,
Thomas Hofstätter

http://hidden-space.at.tf