Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Weather!

Post by Beyond » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:07 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Alright, I pointed my fancy firefox at that belt buckle and soon found myself looking at a nutty pen holder. Aw, geez. :lol2:
There's a story there. That's what's leftover when somebody orders a female version of High Four. Nothing goes to waste.
Well... i can only click on the belt buckle and get no results, but... from Chris' last post, I'm pretty well sure i know what I'd get IF i had a phone with an app. thingie. :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Apps, geez. They are only a "les" short of the forbidden fruit. :evil:

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:29 pm

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:25 pm

Those are snow hay bales for feeding snow cows.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:16 am

We've had a good foot of snow in the last couple days. Just beautiful this morning. A bit nippy at 0°F, but it warmed to 20°F by mid-afternoon.
E7_16174_stitch_p2.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:45 am

Nice try hiding the crazy tracks behind the banister, there. That's very beautiful, though. Monday morning we are to receive half a foot of wet snow but just an ugly city for it to fall on.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:46 pm

geckzilla wrote:Nice try hiding the crazy tracks behind the banister, there. That's very beautiful, though. Monday morning we are to receive half a foot of wet snow but just an ugly city for it to fall on.
I think about Ann and her aversion to snow when we have days like this. I think she'd be much more appreciative of mountain snow. It does make a difference. I remember when I lived in Munich, the snow was usually associated with gray weather, and it was pretty for about 5 minutes before it got all dirty and sloppy from people and traffic. Guess that's what you have coming, too.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:57 pm

Yes, it gets dirty from the existing soot and general dirt which exists in the environment at all times but what makes it even dirtier is the sand and salt trucks. The sand makes it extremely sloppy looking to the point that the side of any given city bus is completely and utterly brown and could put Opportunity's ten years of dust to shame. I saw one of the buses with "Dirt Test Bus" written in the caked on brown dirt. I'm not sure why someone wrote that but it was somehow funny. The salt, on the other hand, dissolves into slight snow melt and then that evaporates, leaving a white coating which makes the lines on the highways invisible. The salt also has a way of sticking to the sides of all the cars which is just as filthy looking as the dirt. So, yeah, snow time is nasty time. I do like looking at it in my tiny backyard though. The cemetery is pretty, too.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:58 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Nice try hiding the crazy tracks behind the banister, there. That's very beautiful, though. Monday morning we are to receive half a foot of wet snow but just an ugly city for it to fall on.
I think about Ann and her aversion to snow when we have days like this. I think she'd be much more appreciative of mountain snow. It does make a difference. I remember when I lived in Munich, the snow was usually associated with gray weather, and it was pretty for about 5 minutes before it got all dirty and sloppy from people and traffic. Guess that's what you have coming, too.
Even I can see that the snow-covered Colorado landscape where you live is breathtakingly beautiful.

We have had snow here for a week. My hometown of Malmö has been dirty, overcast, cold and slippery, but the darn snow has started to melt. I can hardly wait for it to be all gone.

But like you said, Chris... yes, I can see the beauty of snow in Colorado.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:20 pm

It's part of John Denver's Colorado Rocky Mountain "High". One might say that Chris lives in a song. :yes:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Last edited by Beyond on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:29 pm

geckzilla wrote:
I do like looking at it in my tiny backyard though. The cemetery is pretty, too.
A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.” ― James Joyce, Dubliners
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:40 pm

Ann wrote:We have had snow here for a week. My hometown of Malmö has been dirty, overcast, cold and slippery, but the darn snow has started to melt. I can hardly wait for it to be all gone.
I've only been to Malmö in the summer, when it was green, pretty, and clean. That's the time to see it, I guess.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:We have had snow here for a week. My hometown of Malmö has been dirty, overcast, cold and slippery, but the darn snow has started to melt. I can hardly wait for it to be all gone.
I've only been to Malmö in the summer, when it was green, pretty, and clean. That's the time to see it, I guess.
It is. :yes:

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:29 am

Pat and I put on some of his brother's old army boots and trekked out into the snow. As expected, there was a lot of snow. The local graffiti artists are apparently activists and geeks. Mint had "LINUX" written inside the T. The bottom picture is on a path which I have personally dubbed the Path of Suspension of Disbelief. You are not in a city... you are not in a city...
No one is interested in snow baseball.
No one is interested in snow baseball.
Snow-den. Har har har.
Snow-den. Har har har.
Snow doing what snow does.
Snow doing what snow does.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:32 am

geckzilla wrote:Pat and I put on some of his brother's old army boots and trekked out into the snow. As expected, there was a lot of snow. The local graffiti artists are apparently activists and geeks. Mint had "LINUX" written inside the T. The bottom picture is on a path which I have personally dubbed the Path of Suspension of Disbelief. You are not in a city... you are not in a city...
That last image is stunning.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:37 am

Good, then it was worth plopping my butt in the snow to make the panorama.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 am

Beautiful light in the last one. Looks like the Queen of Narnia might pop out at any moment, offering enchanted Turkish Delight.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:13 am

The snow i got, about a 100 miles N/E of you, geckzilla, was just a bit drier and didn't quite make the same effect as yours.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:13 pm

We are getting a little snow today; looks like we are on the edge of the storm! There hasn't been much more than an inch all season! Plenty of -0F mornings though! :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:28 pm

lup974 wrote:Anti crepuscular rays during the full moon rise.(Reunion Island)
http://www.lucperrot.fr
https://www.facebook.com/lucperrotphoto
Copyright: Luc Perrot
I thought I was fortunate enough to have seen this phenomenon this morning. There were Dark bands in the sky to the west just at sunrise. Then, as the vermilion color began to pour into the eastern sky I noticed that the western sky was taking on an alternating purple and gray banding. Eventually, just before Sun-Up, the skarlet Hues were banding the western sky. About an hour after sunrise, the banding was still in the western sky and I discovered that it was really bands of clouds in the sky that just happened to align with the rising sun

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:09 pm

Here's a little goodie about snow i just ran across.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:43 pm

Beyond wrote:
Here's a little goodie about snow i just ran across.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Job_%28G.I._Joe%29 wrote:
<<Snow Job is the G.I. Joe Team's original arctic trooper. His real name is Harlan W. Moore, and his rank is that of staff sergeant E-6. Snow Job was a major Olympic Biathlon contender, who enlisted for the special training and support privileges that the Army gives to Olympic champions. He can ski down a steep slope, while picking off a target at 1,000 yards, and is considered one of the best marksmen on the team. While this allows his teammates to trust him with their lives in the thick of combat, no one wants to be on the receiving end of one of Snow Job's scams. Being conned by Snow Job has almost become a hazing ritual for new recruits. His scams are never outrageous, and he sees them as a way to keep his teammates perceptive and aware.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:51 am

I think, Mr. neufer, that you are missing an -A- in your handle. -A- for Artistic. So that would be... Artistic Abstruse Allusion Artificer. :yes:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:49 pm

We got about an 1nch of white stuff; gonna have to clean the walks! :?
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:12 pm

Brrrr! 9F below zero; wind chill is minus 24F! I'm staying indoors today! :wink:
Orin