Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Weather!

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:06 am

Ann, i planned ahead to not have anything that would go bad in the fridge. That's the good news. The bad news, is that i not only didn't have use of electrical things, like my computer, but that i also had to listen to my neighbors generator running most of the time. Darn things noisey!
Also i do feel like i have to point out a teenie-tiny not quite rightness. Beyond has a 'capital' (B), and owlice has a regular (o). Unless of course you start a sentence with either. Then Beyond still has a capital (B) and owlice has a capital (O). That's kinda funny, actually. Owlice lives in Washington D.C., the Capital city, but doesn't normally have a capital (o). I live out in the (b)oondocks, but always have a capital (B). As the Moody Blues sing -- Isn't life strange?
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:14 am

Beyond wrote:

Also i do feel like i have to point out a teenie-tiny not quite rightness. Beyond has a 'capital' (B), and owlice has a regular (o). Unless of course you start a sentence with either. Then Beyond still has a capital (B) and owlice has a capital (O). That's kinda funny, actually. Owlice lives in Washington D.C., the Capital city, but doesn't normally have a capital (o). I live out in the (b)oondocks, but always have a capital (B). As the Moody Blues sing -- Isn't life strange?
Ooops! :oops: Thanks for pointing that out. I just edited my last post! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:29 am

Beyond, I'm glad you got your power back!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:56 am

I took a bike ride on my favorite trail yesterday; I'm really glad I did this in daylight, because in three different places, there were trees across the trail, including in one place not just a tree on the trail, but two large trees hanging ominously over it, having been stopped in their descent. There was mud, too, that made a few places a little treacherous.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:45 pm

owlice wrote:Beyond, I'm glad you got your power back!
I am quite confident that you are no more gladder than i. YEE-HAA :cowboy:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:10 am

I just read an article from the CL&P, the power company of Connecticut, and was surprised to learn that most of the power outages in CT. were in the east part. Some may not have power restored for a week or longer. They say that about 400,000 are still without power in the state. It would seem that the east part of CT. had the worse winds because of being on the east side of the eye of Irene, such as it was in it's diminished condition. I saw on the weather radar that the more west in CT. that you were, the more rain fell. The west part had a lot of flooding. It's a good thing that the storm wasn't really a full Hurricane, but more like a tropical storm. The problem was that it was so BIG and slow moving. Well, i now await the next exciting adventure that Mother Nature will throw at us. Tornados anyone??

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:40 am

Earthquake, hurricane... I figure a plague of locusts is next.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 am

There are whole towns in vermont that have been cut off because so much rain has washed away the connecting roads to the outside world. Helicopters are being used to bring in supplies. Now THATS having it tough, and it's going to be that way for a while!!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:02 pm

owlice wrote:Earthquake, hurricane... I figure a plague of locusts is next.
Probably, with all of the flooding, it will likely be a plague of mosquitoes first. Then, with all the dead animals lying about, a plague of Blowflies will be next. As these flies mature, they will begin attacking people and a plague of boils will follow. Nothing like a little pestilence to blighten ones biblical proportions

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:26 pm

I'm looking forward to the firey hail :!: Now... Where'd i put those giant marshmallows.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:18 am

Hey, I didn't know giant marshmallows even existed until Saturday, when my tall child and I were in a grocery store near his college! Boy, do I wish they had been around when I was a kid building fires in the backyard to roast potatoes and toast marshmallows!!

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:37 am

You must live a sheltered life. I see these around every year on the local mallow farms.
giant-mallows.jpg
giant-mallows.jpg (9.67 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Rob

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:58 am

Dere's a lotta calories on dem dere mallow farms :!:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:31 am

Wow, time to break out the Winter coat. High tomorrow 81, Monday 76. Not supposed to get higher than the mid 80s all week. 102 today. Cold front moving through, now, with RAIN. Need the rain, wild fires have been terrible.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:02 pm

We had our first freeze last night... down to 30°F. It was late coming this year, so people got a week or two extra with their gardens. But most of the plants will be done for pretty quickly now, and I expect this should start the aspen leaves changing en masse.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:30 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
We had our first freeze last night... down to 30°F. It was late coming this year, so people got a week or two extra with their gardens. But most of the plants will be done for pretty quickly now, and I expect this should start the aspen leaves changing en masse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populus_tremuloides wrote:

<<Populus tremuloides is a deciduous tree native to cooler areas of North America. The species is referred to Quaking Aspen, Trembling Aspen, and Quakies, names deriving from its leaves which flutter in the breeze. The name references the quaking or trembling of the leaves that occurs in even a slight breeze due to the flattened petioles. The specific epithet, tremuloides, is given for this trembling characteristic. Other species of Populus have petioles flattened partially along their length, while the Quaking Aspen's are flattened from side to side along the entire length of the petiole. The given name Waverly means Quaking Aspen, or Meadow of Quaking Aspen. The tree-like plant has tall trunks, up to 25 metres, with smooth pale bark, scarred with black. The glossy green leaves, dull beneath, become golden to yellow, rarely red, in autumn. The species rarely flowers, often propagating through its roots to form large groves. It propagates itself primarily through root sprouts, and extensive clonal colonies are common. Each colony is its own clone, and all trees in the clone have identical characteristics and share a single root structure. A clone may turn color earlier or later in the fall than its neighbouring aspen clones. Fall colors are usually bright tones of yellow; in some areas, red blushes may be occasionally seen. As all trees in a given clonal colony are considered part of the same organism, one clonal colony, named Pando, is considered the heaviest and oldest living organism at six million kilograms and approximately 80,000 years old. Aspens do produce seeds, but seldom grow from them. Pollination is inhibited by the fact that aspens are either male or female, and large stands are usually all clones of the same sex. Even if pollinated, the small seeds (three million per pound) are only viable a short time as they lack a stored food source or a protective coating.

Beginning in 1996, individual North American scientists noticed an increase in dead or dying aspen trees. As this accelerated, in 2004, word spread and a debate over causes began. No insect, disease, or environmental condition is yet specifically identified as a joint cause. Trees adjacent to one another are often stricken or not. In other instances entire groves have died. Because of the vegetative regeneration method of reproduction used by the aspen, where an entire group of trees are essentially clones, there is a concern that something that hits one will eventually kill all of the trees, presuming they share the same vulnerability. A conference was held in Utah in September 2006 to share notes and consider investigative methodology.>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Fud-Lee the Whale

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:15 am

Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:53 pm

You see the whale in the blue portion
but do you see the wolley mammoth in the green portion?
The red bands are the front and rear legs

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
BMAONE23 wrote:
You see the whale in the blue portion
Where's Wolley?
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:49 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:You see the whale in the blue portion
Yeah, one tusk is in the whales mouth and the other is on top of the whales head.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:42 pm

RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!

Enough, already!! Cut it out!!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Don't be such a hog, send us some rain. We need it!
— Garrison Keillor

neufer

Ocean of Storms

Post by neufer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:34 pm

________ :arrow:
Pete Conrad does typical Pete Conrad stuff, 1965.
Thanks to Retro Space Images for this amazing photo!
owlice wrote:
RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!

Enough, already!! Cut it out!!
http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00003172/ wrote:
<< Apollo 12 is said by many to represent the most congenial of the Apollo crews, featuring the boyish Pete Conrad, who made no attempt to hide his obvious elation while he was shuffling around on the moon. The Saturn V rocket that launched the mission from Earth was struck by lightning twice during its ascent to orbit, but luckily, no serious damage occurred and the mission was a success. The crew landed in the moon's Ocean of Storms near Surveyor 3, a robotic probe that had previously landed on the moon two years earlier. To this date Surveyor 3 remains the only probe to have been sent to another world and receive a subsequent visit from its creators.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:32 am

bystander wrote:Don't be such a hog, send us some rain. We need it!
If Oklahoma and Texas get together and politely ask mother nature, I'm sure a Hurricane could be arranged to drop copious amounts of water on all that parched land. It should also blow out all those wildfires really well. It may help if you mention that the eastcoasters say they would be more than :D to GLADLY share their overabundance of the wet stuff.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:43 am

Yeah, I'm hoping Nate will come this way, but more like Lee than Irene.
— Garrison Keillor