Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Weather!

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:05 pm

Ann wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:51 pm Yesterday the weather here in Malmö was nice, and I was out walking in the parks downtown, taking many pictures with my fairly simple mobile phone.
Hmm. Springtime in Malmö. Here's Springtime in Guffey. Yesterday at 9am, today at 9am.
_
P24042609004210.jpg
P24042709001210.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Zenonion0
Asternaut

Post by Zenonion0 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:08 am

Just in time for most of us to say "Finally spring", just for mother nature to take it all away, I think she might do that a couple more times this year, I remember it last a few years back, she did the same thing in the middle of spring

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:45 pm

Ann - that's a really nice picture. It's cool that it was picked up by your local news. Two questions:
1. Is that a historic cemetery? Or perhaps historic plots the city has grown around? It's always interesting in older cities to find remnants of the past.
2. Are there a lot of waterways for paddle boating? That looks like fun...

Chris - without context I would have guessed that bottom picture was the dead of winter. That said, I suppose I shouldn't complain about a couple of "April morning ice scrapings" we had early this month. In the PNW we'll have some "perfect spring days" - that is, 65 - 70 and blue skies. But generally speaking, spring is a pretty consistent 45 - 55, mostly overcast with off/on precipitation.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:19 pm

Orca wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:45 pm Ann - that's a really nice picture. It's cool that it was picked up by your local news. Two questions:
1. Is that a historic cemetery? Or perhaps historic plots the city has grown around? It's always interesting in older cities to find remnants of the past.
2. Are there a lot of waterways for paddle boating? That looks like fun...

Chris - without context I would have guessed that bottom picture was the dead of winter. That said, I suppose I shouldn't complain about a couple of "April morning ice scrapings" we had early this month. In the PNW we'll have some "perfect spring days" - that is, 65 - 70 and blue skies. But generally speaking, spring is a pretty consistent 45 - 55, mostly overcast with off/on precipitation.

Malmö started out as a fishing village in about the 12th century, when the Strait of Öresund was teeming with fish, and the demand for fish was very high in Catholic Europe, where people typically ate fish on Fridays. And because of its geography, Malmö was an excellent fishing port.

The oldest building in Malmö is S:t Peter's Church (Petrikyrkan). It was finished in the early 14th century.

Malmö became rather important in the 16th century, when Jörgen Kock was mayor of Malmö and also the mint master of Denmark. (Malmö belonged to Denmark back then.)

Jörgen Kock's house from 1525 is one of the oldest buildings in Malmö:

I like this map of 16th century Malmö:

The cemetery where I took the picture was built in 1820, so it is 200 years old. Before this cemetery existed, people were buried in a churchyard near Saint Peter's Church, and wealthy and important people were buried underneath the floor of the church! The stench on hot days was terrible!

Do we have a lot of waterways? Only downtown:

Ann
Color Commentator

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Sat May 04, 2024 12:22 am

Ann - thanks for the information, Malmö sounds like an interesting place. I have always been fascinated by the depth of history in so many places around the world. I had a boss that grew up in England and told me about walking along Roman roads or near Norman ruins. You read in the news about farmers digging in fields or construction workers in London finding artifacts from various periods.

While there were Native cultures here long ago, US history on the West Coast doesn't go that far back. Most of the older/established towns and cities in my state were founded in the first half of the 1800s. For us, any building that is more than, say, 120 years old is "old." Folks in Boston or New York would say, "hold my beer," and show us buildings that are 300+ years old. Across Europe they'd say, "hold my beer," and show off buildings that are 600+ years old. In Greece they'd say, "hold my beer" and show us structures from antiquity.

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Sun May 05, 2024 8:36 pm

I went to a concert in Portland a couple of months ago. Walking from the parking space I walked past a large tree and noticed this plaque in front of it:

PXL_20240211_205553559 (1).jpg

The city has grown all around the tree; it's flourished and become quite large. Which is pretty neat...nice work, Sylvester!

Rauf
Science Officer

Post by Rauf » Thu May 09, 2024 10:53 am

Orca wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:36 pm I went to a concert in Portland a couple of months ago. Walking from the parking space I walked past a large tree and noticed this plaque in front of it:

The city has grown all around the tree; it's flourished and become quite large. Which is pretty neat...nice work, Sylvester!
Wow. Do you have a picture of the tree itself?

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Thu May 09, 2024 2:16 pm

Rauf wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:53 am
Orca wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:36 pm I went to a concert in Portland a couple of months ago. Walking from the parking space I walked past a large tree and noticed this plaque in front of it:

Originally from that neck of the woods, I was curious too. :thumb_up:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Rauf
Science Officer

Post by Rauf » Thu May 09, 2024 3:49 pm

Fred the Cat wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:16 pm

Thanks! Btw, it mentions that "based on its species and history, it will probably be there for another 100 years."
Why 100 years? What will happen after that?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu May 09, 2024 3:54 pm

Rauf wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:49 pm
Fred the Cat wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:16 pm

Thanks! Btw, it mentions that "based on its species and history, it will probably be there for another 100 years."
Why 100 years? What will happen after that?
Well, they have a lifespan of a few hundred years, depending on conditions. Maybe it will be there for another 200. But not forever.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com