Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Weather!

Post by Beyond » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:45 pm

neufer wrote:
Beyond wrote:
On a 'lighter' note, after about a week of reaching into the 90's F, it's now 52' F and raining lightly. 52' F in the latter part of July :?: :?: Well, i guess it's not unheard of around here, but it sure is uncommon :!: That said, it's a welcome change from the humid 90's.

I might even have to use a little bit of heat tonight. :shock:
:lol2: That would be a real gas :!: But alas, i don't have access to any methane laden permafrost. :( I guess I'll just have to wait for the Artic to melt more and for something to ignite the methane. Then, not only would i be warmer, i might also have some new Northern Lights to see. Or, most likely, Artic smoke.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Elephant Butt

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:09 pm

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=81714 wrote:
Click to view full size image 1 or image 2

<<In the summer of 2013, Elephant Butte Reservoir dwindled to its lowest level in forty years. By late July, despite the arrival of monsoon rains, the reservoir was still virtually empty. Numbers from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers estimated the total water in storage to be 65,057 acre-feet on July 24, 2013, about 3 percent of the reservoir’s capacity of 2.2 million acre-feet. The last time water levels were that low was 1972, after droughts in the 1950s and 1960s depleted Elephant Butte. On the other hand, the reservoir was filled nearly to capacity for most of the period between 1985 and 2000.

Located in southern New Mexico and fed by the Rio Grande, Elephant Butte is New Mexico’s largest reservoir. Created in 1915 with the construction of the Elephant Butte Dam, the reservoir provides water for about 90,000 acres of farmland and nearly half the population of El Paso, Texas. Drought severely strained the system in 2013. Spring runoff from snowpack in the mountains was well below average, and anemic rains throughout the beginning of the year left 80 percent of New Mexico grappling with either “extreme” or “exceptional” drought (the two most severe categories). The arrival of rains from the southwestern monsoon in early July offered a burst of moisture. But the impact on water storage at Elephant Butte was minimal, according to the Albuquerque Journal.

The Operational Land Imager (OLI) aboard Landsat 8 acquired the top image of the parched reservoir on July 8, 2013, when it was filled to about 3 percent of capacity. The bottom image shows the reservoir on June 2, 1994, when it was at about 89 percent of capacity. With such limited water supplies in 2013, farmers have faced the shortest irrigation season on record, receiving just three acre-inches instead of three acre-feet of water. To meet the demand, El Paso water authorities have had to drill new wells that tap underground aquifers. The city has also increased desalinization efforts and called for voluntary water conservation measures.>>
Art Neuendorffer

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:34 pm

Tornadoes strike Italy near Milan – incredible video

1st -
http://www.youreporter.it/video_Tromba_ ... ull_adda_5

2nd - getting closer - you can hear "the train" coming!
http://www.youreporter.it/video_tromba_ ... o_D_Adda_2

3rd - twister hits - The twister is just outside the window! The person making
the video kept retreating, as he should have. :shock:
http://www.youreporter.it/video_Tromba_ ... uglio_2013
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:43 pm

Just before the end of the second video, i was thinking that you could tell the tornado was getting closer, because the stuff flying around was getting bigger, when a chunk of something went thunk! right in front of the camera.

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:06 pm

and the thrid vid too, just when a huge piece slams into the window on the leftmost pane, he stops filming. Once a window breaks it would be instantly very windy inside that room.
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:26 pm

mjimih wrote:and the thrid vid too, just when a huge piece slams into the window on the leftmost pane, he stops filming. Once a window breaks it would be instantly very windy inside that room.
Hmm... somehow i missed that. I guess it just blew right by me. :mrgreen:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:54 pm

Pretty sticky today; it's is trying to rain! There isn't much coming down; but everything is wet! :wink: Looks like it could settle in for a couple of hours!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Yesterday and today, we've had lovely spring weather!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:44 pm

We had loud thunder and light sprinklings of rain most of the afternoon. I only mention this because, despite the seeming closeness of the thunder, I didn't see a single flash of lightning. :? I've never experienced that before.

Rob

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:06 am

I was wondering why it was feeling a little cool in my little place. Turns out i left my outside bedroom door open and the temperature dropped all the way down to 7'C, 45'F. SHEESH! It's only August 6th!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:10 am

It has been quite pleasant for a couple of weeks but now the 10 day forecast is for temperatures in the 90's! :( Oh well fall is just around the corner! :wink:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:43 pm

orin stepanek wrote:It has been quite pleasant for a couple of weeks but now the 10 day forecast is for temperatures in the 90's! :( Oh well fall is just around the corner! :wink:
Just about the same here. The weather or not guys are threatening us with a heat-wave this week. Well, cooling off the weather, sure beats shoveling it :!: :lol2:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:39 am

Beyond wrote: Just about the same here. The weather or not guys are threatening us with a heat-wave this week. Well, cooling off the weather, sure beats shoveling it :!: :lol2:
I haven't been able to cool it off; but sounds like a good idea! :lol2: As far as shoveling goes; it's not so bad if there isn't more that an inch!! :mrgreen: I did get a new snow blower when they went on sale in the Spring! I'm not anxious to try it out though! :wink:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:17 am

orin stepanek wrote: I'm not anxious to try it out though! :wink:
I know what you mean. I'm hoping for a 'use-it-one-time' or less, winter. :yes:

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:15 am

http://www.startribune.com/weather/blog ... ather.html
Shift In The Pattern. The (amazingly) persistent kink in the jet stream that has funneled a parade of Canadian cool fronts south of the border, sparking frost over the Minnesota Arrowhead and 30s over interior New England in recent days will become more progressive, blowing west to east, allowing a heat bubble to expand eastward into the Plains and Midwest by midweek. Animation: WeatherNation TV.
Will we have a mild autumn? The atmosphere has an uncanny ability to "even things out". Considering snow lingered into May and it's been unseasonably cool for the last 4 weeks I suspect we'll enjoy a warmer than average autumn, continuing the trend of recent decades. Odds favor a very mild El Nino into the winter months, meaning a very slight mild bias. We'll see. For now prepare for one of the hotter 1-2 weeks of the summer.
Wildfires' Size, Scope Biggest Since Yellowstone Blaze In '88. The fire in Idaho is gargantuan - here's an excerpt from a description at The Idaho Statesman: "...In 13 of the past 25 years, more than 5 million acres of wild land has burned in the nation. In 2012, 2008 and 2007, more than 9 million acres were burned, and eight of the nine worst fire years since 1960 have taken place since 2000. A generation of firefighters has been humbled, facing conditions their predecessors never imagined. The fires, driven by a warming climate, bountiful fuels and a growing population living on lands that once were wild, are reshaping the ecosystem and the human communities within...A Department of Agriculture report predicts that the acreage burned by wildfires will double by 2050 to about 20 million acres annually. Another USDA report predicts that for every 1.8-degree temperature increase the earth experiences - expected by 2050 - the area burned in the western U.S. could quadruple. "The largest issue we now face is how to adapt our management to anticipate climate-change impacts and to mitigate their potential effects," Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell told Congress this year..."

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:33 am

Waah, it's hot. It was so nice for a week it was like early autumn. I was hoping to skip a final heat wave. Alas, it always happens. Can't wait for summer to end so I can stop using the irritatingly loud wall A/C we have. That sounds incredibly ungrateful now that I write it. Oh well, can't have everything.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:58 pm

On the other paw, I was feeling decidedly depressed at the far too early feel of Fall in the air. But now I've been refreshed by a couple of days of heat. Lovely stuff, that heat -- what would we do without it...
little-ice-age.jpg
Rob

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
rstevenson wrote:
On the other paw, I was feeling decidedly depressed at the far too early feel of Fall in the air. But now I've been refreshed by a couple of days of heat. Lovely stuff, that heat -- what would we do without it...
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:37 pm

rstevenson wrote:On the other paw, I was feeling decidedly depressed at the far too early feel of Fall in the air. But now I've been refreshed by a couple of days of heat. Lovely stuff, that heat -- what would we do without it...
little-ice-age.jpg
Rob
Not sweat so much :?:

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:49 pm

I enjoyed the heat a lot more when I lived in Lakeside, CA. It's an inland area near San Diego. I just had a dream that I was back there and I could see the night sky again so I was going to finally get a photo of Milky Way. The desert heat is not so bad because it's dry and also because it gets pretty cold at night. Heat everywhere else just seems oppressive and moist and it lingers throughout the night.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:03 pm

It is an oven out here and is supposed to last at least a week! I am watering the lawn every other day! I am hopeful that the Fall season brings milder weather! :wink:
Orin

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Ugh oven heat (with high tropical humidity) for 6 days straight :no:
... It was 15F degrees cooler in the deserts of southern California than it was in Minnesota yesterday.
ECMWF "Euro" guidance is hinting at a push of much cooler air coming sooner than expected; a big drop in temperature/dew point by Sunday and Labor Day.

"Ridge Riders". More T-storms will flare up along the northern boundary of a very slow moving heat bubble over the Upper Midwest, the best chance of some badly needed rain Thursday. Cooler air is building over Canada, relief that will finally sweep across the northern tier of the USA early next week.
maybe a nice fresh cool breeze for the last day of the Great MN State Fair (labor day), which always signals the end of summer for us.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:20 pm

mjimih wrote:Ugh oven heat (with high tropical humidity) for 6 days straight :no:
... It was 15F degrees cooler in the deserts of southern California than it was in Minnesota yesterday.
ECMWF "Euro" guidance is hinting at a push of much cooler air coming sooner than expected; a big drop in temperature/dew point by Sunday and Labor Day.

"Ridge Riders". More T-storms will flare up along the northern boundary of a very slow moving heat bubble over the Upper Midwest, the best chance of some badly needed rain Thursday. Cooler air is building over Canada, relief that will finally sweep across the northern tier of the USA early next week.
maybe a nice fresh cool breeze for the last day of the Great MN State Fair (labor day), which always signals the end of summer for us.
As the temperature climbs, be certain to keep those HotDogs on ice

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:09 am

Will this help :?: Right now at 6:00am where i am in the N/E corner of Connecticut, it's about 3-degrees above freezing :!: :!: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:08 pm

WELLLL; darn! The heat has come back and will be with us until Tuesday! It is not as uncomfortable as the last heat wave though! I guess it has something to do with the humidity. Anyway; we will have temps in the 90's until Tuesday brings cooler weather. :) I like the cooler weather coming, and I hope we have long Autumn. 8-)
Orin