APOD: GRO J1655 40: Evidence for a Black... (2010 Sep 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: GRO J1655 40: Evidence for a Black... (2010 Sep 05

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:42 pm

beyond wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
beyond wrote:You mean to tell me that there is an actual Really Big GIANT bar magnet in pulsars?
Yes, and most amazing, it is naturally red at one end and white at the other, and has a giant "N" and "S" engraved on it.
Researchers are still working on extensions to General Relativity to explain these phenomena.
Chris - you wouldn't happen to have some sort of visual or infared picture of that "bar" would you?
I'm feeling a tug on my pants legs.
Are they well ironed pants?
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:45 pm

owlice wrote:
neufer wrote:it's black Holes all the way down.
:D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down wrote:In the book Small Gods, the question "what does the turtle stand on?" is asked, and gets the reply "It's a turtle, for heaven's sake. It swims. That's what turtles are for."
Gee, thanks owlice. All this time i thought that Turtles were for sunning themselves on rocks and things that stick up out of the water and for singing songs such as, but not limited to - "So Happy Together."
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:51 pm

neufer wrote: Are they well ironed pants?
GOOD HEAVENS NO!! I don't want to be sucked up by a pulsar with one of those red and white ended bar magnets and get caught in an engraved S or N.

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:55 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
beyond wrote:You mean to tell me that there is an actual Really Big GIANT bar magnet in pulsars?
Yes, and most amazing, it is naturally red at one end and white at the other, and has a giant "N" and "S" engraved on it. Researchers are still working on extensions to General Relativity to explain these phenomena.
I saw one of those in my telescope once. I was trying to observe the arrow that points to Pluto.

-Noel

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:59 pm

NoelC wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Yes, and most amazing, it is naturally red at one end and white at the other, and has a giant "N" and "S" engraved on it. Researchers are still working on extensions to General Relativity to explain these phenomena.
I saw one of those in my telescope once. I was trying to observe the arrow that points to Pluto.

-Noel
Is pluto magnetic?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:03 pm

neufer wrote: a black hole can only have three attibutes
Wouldn't the ability to suck up anything that came near it be an attribute?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 pm

beyond wrote:Wouldn't the ability to suck up anything that came near it be an attribute?
That's covered by mass, mass implies gravity.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Ann wrote:
Baby dressed in black hole.

Ann
That is a cute little sucker! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:22 pm

bystander wrote:
beyond wrote:Wouldn't the ability to suck up anything that came near it be an attribute?
That's covered by mass, mass implies gravity.
AH, so the 'suck' factor is just the result of a really strong gravity caused by all the mass that has been sucked up? Sort of like a self-expanding Vaccuum cleaner??, in that the more it sucks up - the more it sucks up. Would that be considered to be more like a catch-44 than a catch-22?

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:29 pm

beyond wrote:Is pluto magnetic?
http://www.cafepress.com/+pluto+magnets
-------------------------------------------
http://www.disneyshorts.org/years/1936/donaldandpluto.html wrote:
"Donald and Pluto" September 12, 1936
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<From Ryan Kilpatrick at The Disney Film Project : Pluto takes up the majority of the short with a simple premise: he swallows a magnet and ends up having all sorts of things being attracted to his rear end where the magnet is lodged. Pots, pans, knives, Donald’s hammer – they are all chasing Pluto throughout the short. [What] amazes me about Pluto, is that the animators always seem to keep in mind that he is a dog. The human reaction to the magnet antics would be much different than a dog. As a dog, Pluto spends half of his time trying to figure out what is going on, then trying to move on when he’s satisfied that it’s “over.” This is exactly what a dog would do, so it makes perfect sense.>>
-------------------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Hey - what a good demonstration of the speed of c. In this case c representing the maximum speed of a cartoon dog in a cellulose medium when knives were being attracted to him. :lol:

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:17 pm

beyond wrote:
Hey - what a good demonstration of the speed of c. In this case
c representing the maximum speed of a cartoon dog in
a cellulose medium when knives were being attracted to him. :lol:
C representing the maximum speed of a cartoon dog in
a celluloid medium when cleavers are being attracted to his butt.

C Pluto run. Run Pluto run!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celluloid wrote:
<<English photographer John Carbutt founded the Keystone Dry Plate Works in 1879 with the intention of producing gelatin dry plates. The Celluloid Manufacturing Company was contracted for this work by means of thinly slicing layers out of celluloid blocks and then removing the slice marks with heated pressure plates. After this, the celluloid strips were coated with a photosensitive gelatin emulsion. It is not certain exactly how long it took for Carbutt to standardize his process, but it occurred no later than 1888. A 15-inch-wide (380 mm) sheet of Carbutt's film was used by William Dickson for the early Edison motion picture experiments on a cylinder drum Kinetograph. However, the celluloid film base produced by this means was still considered too stiff for the needs of motion picture photography. By 1889, more flexible celluloids for photographic film were developed, and both Hannibal Goodwin and the Eastman Kodak Company obtained patents for a film product (Ansco, which purchased Goodwin's patent when he died, was eventually successful in an infringement suit against Kodak). This ability to produce photographic images on a flexible material (as opposed to a glass or metal plate) was a crucial step toward the advent of motion pictures.>>
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:35 pm

The shape of a black hole's event horizon? http://www.bautforum.com/archive/index.php/t-80286.html
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

kfsone
Asternaut

Post by kfsone » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:59 pm

Question: Why do artists always seem to depict a black hole as being below the plane of the incoming material? Is it a misunderstanding of the gravity well?

Henning Makholm
Science Officer

Post by Henning Makholm » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:02 pm

kfsone wrote:Question: Why do artists always seem to depict a black hole as being below the plane of the incoming material? Is it a misunderstanding of the gravity well?
I don't think it's "always". But in those cases where they do, your hypothesis is probably as good as any.

In this APOD I'm more concerned about the lampshade around the central object. Cosmic censorship?
Henning Makholm

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:16 pm

kfsone wrote:Question: Why do artists always seem to depict a black hole as being below the plane of the incoming material? Is it a misunderstanding of the gravity well?
It may not be that unreasonable to assume the thickness of the accretion disk is larger than the diameter of the black hole.

Henning Makholm
Science Officer

Post by Henning Makholm » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:30 pm

beyond wrote:AH, so the 'suck' factor is just the result of a really strong gravity caused by all the mass that has been sucked up?
Black holes do not suck! Or at least, do not "suck" any more (or any differently) than the same amount of mass in any other form would do.
Henning Makholm

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:58 pm

Henning Makholm wrote:
beyond wrote:AH, so the 'suck' factor is just the result of a really strong gravity caused by all the mass that has been sucked up?
Black holes do not suck! Or at least, do not "suck" any more (or any differently) than the same amount of mass in any other form would do.
I think that if you happened to get caught in the gravity well of a black hole, you would most likely say it sucks as it begins to deform you on the way to being totally gravitized or whatever it is called when something enters into the black hole. I can't speak from personal experience, so it is much of a guess. But i figure that the word "sucks" would probably fit the situation pretty good.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:28 am

beyond wrote:
Henning Makholm wrote:
Black holes do not suck!
Or at least, do not "suck" any more (or any differently) than the same amount of mass in any other form would do.
I think that if you happened to get caught in the gravity well of a black hole, you would most likely say it sucks as it begins to deform you on the way to being totally gravitized or whatever it is called when something enters into the black hole. I can't speak from personal experience, so it is much of a guess. But i figure that the word "sucks" would probably fit the situation pretty good.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:57 am

This is an Electrolux vacuum cleaner, a Swedish brand (or it used to be, I don't know if it is any more):

In the 1950s the Electrolux people tried to come up with a great advertisement that would make American customers interested in buying this Swedish vacuum cleaner. In Swedish "vacuum cleaner" is "dammsugare", literally "dust-sucker", that is, it is something that sucks in dust. So the advertisement the Swedes came up with for the American market was:

NOTHING SUCKS LIKE ELECTROLUX!

So beware, black holes, you little suckers! You've got nothing on an Electrolux vacuum cleaner!

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:01 am

Ann, I've got a long canister model, but with a different hose then it came with. They really SUCK!! :lol:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:05 am

Neufer's Wall e Vacuum cleaner clip video pretty much define's the word "suck" under most conditions.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:27 am

Wall E's vacuum cleaner didn't suck, it spat out!

But I'll bet there's an Electrolux vacuum cleaner at the bottom of today's APOD black hole!

(And hey... now I understand what a "white hole" is. It is a black hole that spits out the dust it has sucked up, like Wall-E's vacuum cleaner. You only have to wonder why they call it a "white" hole? Did Wall-E look white in that video when he was covered in all that dust?)

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:43 am

ann wrote: Wall E's vacuum cleaner didn't suck, it spat out.
EGGZAKLY :!: :!: The situation "sucked" because of what happened, at least to whomever had to clean up the mess and to Wall e who went away in a mess. HAHAHAHA. Funny video. Wall e must be related to Johnny 5, he's such a good actor.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Ann wrote:
beyond wrote:
VANGELDROP wrote:Could it be a black hole inside a black hole?
Could that possibly be a baby black hole?? if it is, I'd bet that it would be a cute little sucker :!:
Baby dressed in black hole.

Ann
Here is an example of a "Black Hole" evolving into a "White Hole." It takes in much material and creates much mass that repels all but the parental Black Holes that created it. The parental Black holes share the task of dealing with the energy input and the mass that is produced as the little "Wonder" grows out of the younger I want it black hole stage, to the more mature adult White Hole stage that puts out useful energies.