APOD: NGC 4911: Spiral Diving into a Dense... (2010 Sep 08)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: NGC 4911: Spiral Diving into a Dense... (2010 Sep

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Ann wrote:
<<The thing is that to me, colors that are both "beautiful" (to me) and "true" (to me) are exquisitely enjoyable. I guess you might compare it with listening to music. Personally I care less for music than most people, which is not to say that I don't enjoy certain songs, certain compositions, certain voices, certain harmonies, certain sounds. But if I haven't listened to music for a whole day, I don't miss it. Color, on the other hand, is vital to me. I would never surround myself with objects and images that are not beautiful in their colors. I would certainly never put a black and white image on one of my walls, so that I would have to look at it every day.

Now consider people who truly love music. Some of them can appreciate musical notation as much as they can enjoy the music itself, because when they see the notation they immediately "translate" that notation into sounds "in their heads". Beethoven may have had that ability.>>
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Bogey_March wrote:
<<The "Colonel Bogey March" is a popular march that was written in 1914 by Lieutenant F. J. Ricketts (1881–1945), a British military bandmaster who was director of music for the Royal Marines at Plymouth. Since at that time service personnel were not encouraged to have professional lives outside the armed forces, Ricketts published "Colonel Bogey" and his other compositions under the pseudonym Kenneth Alford. Supposedly, the tune was inspired by a military man and golfer who whistled a characteristic two-note phrase (a descending minor third interval) instead of shouting "Fore!". It is this descending interval which begins each line of the melody. Bogey is a golfing term meaning one over par. Edwardian golfers in North America often played matches against "Colonel Bogey".

The sheet music was a million-seller, and the march was recorded many times. "Colonel Bogey" is the authorized march of The King's Own Calgary Regiment (RCAC) of the Canadian Forces. Many humorous or satirical verses have been sung to this tune; some of them vulgar. The English quickly established a simple insulting use for the tune, where the first two syllables were used for a variety of rude expressions, e.g. "Bollocks", then followed by "...and the same to you." and perhaps even more commonly "Bullshit, that's all the band can play, Bullshit, they play it night and day". The best known, which originated in England at the outset of World War II, goes by the title "Hitler Has Only Got One Ball".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Has_Only_Got_One_Ball wrote:
Claimed original "Hitler Has Only Got One Ball" version, credited to Toby O'Brien
  • Göring has only got one ball
    Hitler's [are] so very small
    Himmler's so very similar
    And Goebbels has no balls at all
This version, thought to be the original, is interesting in that Göring has the one ball (in fact, he had lost one of his testicles during the Beer Hall Putsch in 1923) and Hitler apparently has two and that it starts with Göring. The musical comedy word play of rhyming Goebbels with "no balls" both argue in favour of this being a very early version.
The English composer Malcolm Arnold added a counter-march for use in the 1957 dramatic film The Bridge on the River Kwai, which was set during World War II. Although the lyrics were not used in the film, British audiences of the time fully understood the subtextual humour of "Hitler Has Only Got One Ball" being sung by prisoners of war. Because the tune is so identified with the film, many people now incorrectly refer to the "Colonel Bogey March" as "The River Kwai March". In fact, Arnold used this name for a completely different march that he wrote for the film. Because the film concerned prisoners of war being held under inhumane conditions by the Japanese, there was a minor diplomatic flap in the late 1970s when the "Colonel Bogey March" was played during a visit by the Japanese prime minister to Canada.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD: NGC 4911: Spiral Diving into a Dense... (2010 Sep

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:58 am

neufer wrote: Embedded video of Beethoven's 5th
After watching that old video, one would need a 5th of Bacardi's RUMba to Smooooth out the effects of that Beethoven's 5th.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.