APOD: It Came from the Sun (2010 Oct 18)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: It Came from the Sun (2010 Oct 18)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:58 am

Image It Came from the Sun

Explanation: What's that coming over the edge of the Sun? What might appear at first glance to be some sort of Sun monster is actually a solar prominence. The above prominence, captured by the Sun-orbiting SOHO satellite earlier this year during an early stage of its eruption, rapidly became one of the largest ever on record. Even as pictured, the prominence is huge -- the Earth would easily fit inside. A solar prominence is a thin cloud of solar gas held just above the surface by the Sun's magnetic field. A quiescent prominence typically lasts about a month, while an eruptive prominence like the one developing above may erupt within hours into a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME), expelling hot gas into the Solar System. Although very hot, prominences typically appear dark when viewed against the Sun, since they are slightly cooler than the surface. As our Sun evolves toward Solar maximum over the next three years, more large eruptive prominences are expected.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

yellowlevel@verizon.net

Re: APOD: It Came from the Sun (2010 Oct 18)

Post by yellowlevel@verizon.net » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:42 am

Not only could the earth easily fit inside the prominence, but it looks like the Earth / Moon system could fit inside, at the distance they are apart: 250,000 miles vs. the Sun's diameter of 865,000 miles.

mexhunter
Science Officer
AKA: César Cantú

Post by mexhunter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:04 am

Our Sun begins to have a party, hopefully we can come together to it, with good pictures in the future.
http://www.astrophoto.com.mx/picture.php?/86/category/6
Greetings
César
I come to learn and to have fun.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:45 am

Is a CME precursor to what Earth can expect to more intimately experience some billions of years from now?

Thanks for your link mexhunter. Starship Asterisk* deepens... lots to explore.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:50 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

I never saw this Sci Fi movie. It doesn't look like I missed much. :shock:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:55 pm

yellowlevel@verizon.net wrote:
Not only could the earth easily fit inside the prominence,
but it looks like the Earth / Moon system could fit inside,
at the distance they are apart: 250,000 miles
vs. the Sun's diameter of 865,000 miles.
orin stepanek wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045920/ wrote:
<<John Putnam is a writer and an amateur stargazer with a new home out in the beautiful Arizona desert, which he enjoys with Ellen Fields, his girlfriend and a local schoolteacher. John is not trusted by the people of the small town near where he lives, certainly not by Sheriff Matt Warren, who feels protective of Ellen, and perhaps something more. One night, John and Ellen see a meteor crash in the desert. John drags his friend, Pete, out of bed to take him over to the crash site in his helicopter. Once there, John climbs down into the crater. Unfortunately, he does so alone, as Pete and Ellen wait for him. John is the only one who sees the spaceship before a landslide covers it. And John is the only one who catches a glimpse of the hideous thing inside. At first John's story seems mad, until some of the townsfolk begin acting strange - as if they aren't really who they seem to be.>>
..................................................................................
[last lines]
Sheriff Matt Warren: [three-shot, characters gazing toward sky into which meteor-spaceship has rocketed] Well, they've gone.

Ellen Fields: For good, John?

John Putnam: No. Just for now. It wasn't the right time for us to meet. But there'll be other nights, other stars for us to watch. They'll be back.
Art Neuendorffer

bugwriter

Post by bugwriter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:33 pm

Just left of center there appears to be a verticle line on the surface of the sun. It doesn't seem that that could be natural, so I'm asking, is that just an artifact of the photo, or is it actually on the sun? If it is really there, what causes something like that?

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:37 pm

I can see horizontal lines as well. Looks like it's been stitched together from smaller images, which is often found in astro images of various kinds.

Rob

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Ah, happy sigh! Thank you for that video, Orin. And thank you, Art, for that amazing hairdo man! :mrgreen:

Anyway, the future - how beautiful it was!
The future from 1929, after, we hope, the Great Depression (which they somehow put on "replay", eh?). Note the hairdo woman in her fashionable bob.
This ain't so bad either, although it is in French!

Ann
Color Commentator

Dana K

Post by Dana K » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:59 pm

Just curious...there seems to be a straight line down the sun to the left of center of this photo...what on Earth (or, what on the Sun) can cause that?????

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Dana K wrote:Just curious...there seems to be a straight line down the sun to the left of center of this photo...what on Earth (or, what on the Sun) can cause that?????
rstevenson wrote:I can see horizontal lines as well. Looks like it's been stitched together from smaller images, which is often found in astro images of various kinds.

mexhunter
Science Officer

Post by mexhunter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:39 pm

bystander wrote:
Dana K wrote:Just curious...there seems to be a straight line down the sun to the left of center of this photo...what on Earth (or, what on the Sun) can cause that?????
rstevenson wrote:I can see horizontal lines as well. Looks like it's been stitched together from smaller images, which is often found in astro images of various kinds.
It is surely not very happily sewing mosaic.
This is the original picture:
Greetings
César

gar37bic
Asternaut

Post by gar37bic » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:50 pm

More interestingly, it appears to me that there is a curved band more-or-less between the two brighter patches, where the texture of the surface seems different - the cell size of the dark and light pattern is larger and the edges less distinct. If this is not an artifact of the picture taking process, could this be a surface manifestation of currents farther down in the sun's atmosphere, akin to the jet stream or some kind of vertical thermal current?

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:15 pm

César wrote:It is surely not very happily sewing mosaic.
César
Sorry César, I didn't mean to suggest you did anything inappropriate. But I can clearly see several horizontal straight lines and at least two long straight vertical lines. Something must have happened during processing to make those lines. Either that or we need to take a real close look at the sun. :shock:

Rob

mexhunter
Science Officer

Post by mexhunter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi Rob:
Well I still believe and I think that between frame and frame spent some considerable time and changed the stricture, so that sewing could not match the frames. It may also be errors CCD line sensor, or as you say, a processing problem.
Anyway, that does not diminish at all the visual information so powerful that it brings.
Greetings
César

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.