APOD: A Bucket Wheel Excavator on Earth (2010 Oct 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Bucket Wheel Excavator on Earth (2010 Oct 24)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:59 am

Image A Bucket Wheel Excavator on Earth

Explanation: Please wait while one of the largest mobile machines in the world crosses the road. The machine pictured above is a bucket-wheel excavator used in modern surface mining. Machines like this have given humanity the ability to mine minerals and change the face of planet Earth in new and dramatic ways. Some open pit mines, for example, are visible from orbit. The largest excavators are over 200 meters long and 100 meters high, now dwarfing the huge NASA Crawler that transports space shuttles to the launch pads. Bucket-wheel excavators can dig a hole the length of a football field to over 25 meters deep in a single day. They may take a while to cross a road, though, with a top speed under one kilometer per hour.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

skim

Re: APOD: A Bucket Wheel Excavator on Earth (2010 Oct 24)

Post by skim » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:00 am

A S T R O N O M I C A L

judy

Post by judy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:22 am

should we go to the big bucket wheel excavator picture of the day if we want to pictures of the universe?

Watcher

Post by Watcher » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:44 am

judy wrote:should we go to the big bucket wheel excavator picture of the day if we want to pictures of the universe?
I'm afraid I have to agree with judy on this one. What does this have to do with astronomy? There are plenty of other sites out there that have pictures of big machines. If I wanted to see those kinds of pictures I wouldn't be here.

The "Tomorrow's Picture" line is almost never right anymore, is that and this picture a sign of things to come? Is this site on it's way down the toilet too?

I hope not!

bonnerjk
Asternaut

Post by bonnerjk » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:56 am

My, "man is a horrible creature" indoctrination is almost complete.
Your hypocrisy baffles me.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:07 am

This got a WOW! out of me; I've never seen a picture of one of these before!

I love APOD; I learn so many different things from it!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

jamessherman88@yahoocom

Post by jamessherman88@yahoocom » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:54 am

Seeing this machine , which as you state, "have given humanity the ability to mine minerals and change the face of planet Earth in new and dramatic ways." is a hugely disturbing image. Personally, I see this machine as a beast which can destroy our planet at an excellerated rate. This is a machine that rips, tears, and maims the earth so that we can drive Hummers, SUVies, heat multi-million dollar homes where two people live. We are completely "insane". We spend 54 per cent of our Federal Budget on war and the aftermath of wars. When people are damaged by our American system, we build more and more prisons to warehouse them. The only hope for the earth is for this living planet to rise up and destroy all of us. Man, who has the potential for great good, has , for the most part, chosen death.

WHen I choose to buy a new 52 inch HD television.. I have chosen to allow children to go hungry, medicine to stay in the warehouse, libraries to close or reduce operating hours. Every financical transaction I make, however seemingly insignificant, moves all of us either towards the life and light....or the other direction.

This is the only planet we have and we either care for it with loving thoughfulness or....................

MadCat-75
Ensign

Post by MadCat-75 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:21 am

Hi,

i've seen this machines live in Garzweiler, a Lignite-strip mine near Cologne, Germany.
With these machines was digged the deepest hole in Germany:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... au_Hambach

many small villages vanished and where build on new places...
there are some nearly ghost-villages too, they are not fully evacuated and will razed 2017...

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 0209112804

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s ... 7&t=h&z=13
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Garzweiler
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Lignite

here some airial-pictured - with german description:

http://www.luftbild-archiv.de/jump_g16.htm

see you,

Heiko

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:10 am

Good Grief!!!!

A list of thoughts:
1. it's so big, with all those heavy long arms, how does it even hang together?
2. I bet that road is going to need repairs after the BWE gets to the other side.
3. Speaking of the "other side", like that un-named chicken of yore, why did the BWE cross the road?
4. How many people does it take to run a BWE?
5. There's a huge open sand pit near my home, dug by many "mini-me's" like that - sure destroyed a beautiful forest area.
6. Imagine something like this up on the moon, mining for some perceived valuable rock that was being shipped back to Earth - how quickly would it mess up the orbital dynamics of the moon?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:34 pm

from links!
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
And as seen fron orbit! Wow! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

K1NS

Post by K1NS » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:45 pm

I think this is a totally appropriate photograph for APOD.

First of all, as the caption says, this monster can change the face of the earth. But secondly, I am sure I have seen this machine in a science fiction movie somewhere! It looks like the spaceship that hovered over some major city and shot up downtown with laser blasters. :wink:

But seriously, . . . it is described as a bucket wheel, but it is actually a large rotary saw blade, or more accurately a dado blade since it cuts a groove instead of slicing an object. In an odd way, it illustrates the fractal principle that objects are infinitely scalable. Walk across the room and look at this photo, and it could be a weird Dremel hand tool.

royalpalms6

Post by royalpalms6 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:58 pm

The bucket wheel points out so manny interesting places in the night sky. Thank you for your hard work finding this beutifull photo.

hyperemia
Asternaut

Post by hyperemia » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:04 pm

This is disgusting! Oh yeah, it's an amazing machine, let's pat ourselves on the back for being able to tear the planet up that much easier, and faster, after all time is money. yes?? We can make it into this unrecognizable blob where everything looks the same and it all looks like a wasteland or garbage dump. And in the end cannot support life anymore. Not people anyway!

Redbone
Ensign

Post by Redbone » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:13 pm

To paraphrase the great liberal George Carlin:

"The earth has been through ice ages, volcanic eruptions, asteroid impacts, bombarded by meteors and radiation from supernova, reversals of the magnetic field, tectonic subduction, earthquakes, continental fires, plagues, droughts and floods; and you are worried about some plastic bags?"

lnigra
Asternaut

Post by lnigra » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:52 pm

This is a real stretch, folks. Nice advertisement for the mining industry, though: "Machines like this have given humanity the ability to mine minerals and change the face of planet Earth in new and dramatic ways." That sounds so nice - yay, humanity! I think APOD has lost their way. What does the "A" stand for again?

mitsy

Post by mitsy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:00 pm

Not only does it have nothing to do with Astronomy but is destructive of earth itself.
Not suitable for the Astronomy :cry: site at all.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:24 pm

I like today’s APOD. I think I could use that thing to help me mine the vastness of SA*... Might help the absorption of information go faster!
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:30 pm

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2005/09/14.html wrote:
Dartmouth researchers build world's smallest mobile robot
Dartmouth College Office of Public Affairs
Press Release Posted 09/14/05

<<In a world where "supersize" has entered the lexicon, there are some things getting smaller, like cell phones and laptops. Dartmouth researchers have contributed to the miniaturizing trend by creating the world's smallest untethered, controllable robot. Their extremely tiny machine is about as wide as a strand of human hair, and half the length of the period at the end of this sentence. About 200 of these could march in a line across the top of a plain M&M.
I can only imagine what this must do to the roadbed. And I can imagine what this monster does to the environment.
The researchers, led by Bruce Donald, the Joan P. and Edward J. Foley Jr. 1933 Professor of Computer Science at Dartmouth, report their creation in a paper that will be presented at the 12th International Symposium of Robotics Research in October in San Francisco, which is sponsored by the International Federation of Robotics Research. A longer, more detailed paper about this microrobot will also appear in a forthcoming issue of the Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, a publication of the IEEE, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.

"It's tens of times smaller in length, and thousands of times smaller in mass than previous untethered microrobots that are controllable," says Donald. "When we say 'controllable,' it means it's like a car; you can steer it anywhere on a flat surface, and drive it wherever you want to go. It doesn't drive on wheels, but crawls like a silicon inchworm, making tens of thousands of 10-nanometer steps every second. It turns by putting a silicon 'foot' out and pivoting like a motorcyclist skidding around a tight turn."

The future applications for micro-electromechanical systems, or MEMS, include ensuring information security, such as assisting with network authentication and authorization; inspecting and making repairs to an integrated circuit; exploring hazardous environments, perhaps after a hazardous chemical explosion; or involving biotechnology, say to manipulate cells or tissues.

McGray, who earned a Ph.D. in Computer Science working on this project in Donald's lab, adds, "Machines this small tend to stick to everything they touch, the way the sand sticks to your feet after a day at the beach. So we built these microrobots without any wheels or hinged joints, which must slide smoothly on their bearings. Instead, these robots move by bending their bodies like caterpillars. At very small scales, this machine is surprisingly fast." McGray is currently a researcher at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, Md.

The prototype is steerable and untethered, meaning that it can move freely on a surface without the wires or rails that constrained the motion of previously developed microrobots. Donald explains that this is the smallest robot that transduces force, is untethered, and is engaged in its own locomotion. The robot contains two independent microactuators, one for forward motion and one for turning. It's not pre-programmed to move; it is teleoperated, powered by the grid of electrodes it walks on. The charge in the electrodes not only provides power, it also supplies the robot's instructions that allow it to move freely over the electrodes, unattached to them.>>
Last edited by neufer on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:46 pm

If you're missing pictures of moons, stars, galaxies, other planets, eclipses, etc., please take a look at some of the recent submissions to APOD, and if you'd like the latest news on missions and other astronomy-related events, please visit the Communications Center. You can even view votes for the Astronomy Picture of the Week, search for your favorite APOD (and discuss it), or simply browse APODs by date.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

MadCat-75
Ensign

Post by MadCat-75 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:55 pm

biddie67 wrote:Good Grief!!!!

A list of thoughts:
1. it's so big, with all those heavy long arms, how does it even hang together?
2. I bet that road is going to need repairs after the BWE gets to the other side.
3. Speaking of the "other side", like that un-named chicken of yore, why did the BWE cross the road?
4. How many people does it take to run a BWE?
5. There's a huge open sand pit near my home, dug by many "mini-me's" like that - sure destroyed a beautiful forest area.
6. Imagine something like this up on the moon, mining for some perceived valuable rock that was being shipped back to Earth - how quickly would it mess up the orbital dynamics of the moon?
1. strong steelcables - and physics ^^
2. no, the pessure to the ground through the tankchain ist not much greater than a normal truck
3. because the BWE travel to a new digging-ground
4. as far as i know less then twelve

and it runs only with eletricity... supplied through armthick cables ^^

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks neufer! You know why.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:38 pm

K1NS wrote:First of all, as the caption says, this monster can change the face of the earth. But secondly, I am sure I have seen this machine in a science fiction movie somewhere!
I think it was the model for the machine that was tearing up Pandora in Avatar.
But seriously, . . . it is described as a bucket wheel, but it is actually a large rotary saw blade, or more accurately a dado blade since it cuts a groove instead of slicing an object.
I don't think so. Blades work by cutting, a process that is different from digging. If you run a blade very slowly, it doesn't cut at all, but can gouge (dig) out material. Unless this excavator spins at a few hundred RPM, it really can't be called a saw blade. Also, material properties don't scale with size; the material behavior of a small piece of wood or metal is nothing like the material behavior of a huge section of earth.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

oldbitman

Post by oldbitman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Way off the mark on this one!!!

mexhunter
Science Officer
AKA: César Cantú

Post by mexhunter » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:29 pm

I was born in 1953, 1963 the latest toys were these:
http://www.tonkatoys.com/loboy.html

Today's APOD exceeds anything I ever imagined as a child. :D
Greetings
César
I come to learn and to have fun.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:52 pm

César, back in 1963 I had toys like these (they were boring):

But these days even Barbie has "entered the space age":

I think I prefer astronaut Barbie over the bucket wheel excavator.

Ann
Color Commentator