APOD: Saturn s Serpent Storm (2011 Mar 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Saturn s Serpent Storm (2011 Mar 17)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:07 am

Image Saturn s Serpent Storm

Explanation: Late last year, a new, remarkably bright storm erupted in Saturn's northern hemisphere. Nicknamed "the Serpent Storm", the northern hemisphere disturbance is still going strong and now circles far around the planet. Offering spectacular space-based views to the Saturn-orbiting Cassini spacecraft, the storm shows enough contrast with the banded cloud tops to be visible with even modest ground-based equipment, as seen in this sharp image from Buena Vista, Georgia, USA, planet Earth. Amateur astronomers first spotted the bright storm in early December 2010, with the ringed gas giant rising in predawn skies, and continue to monitor the storm's progress.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Re: APOD: Saturn s Serpent Storm (2011 Mar 17)

Post by NoelC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:21 am

Wow, that's a big storm!

Beautiful image of Saturn. Congratulations, Brian!

-Noel

Efrain Morales Rivera

Post by Efrain Morales Rivera » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:28 pm

Congrats Brian, On Heavily endorsed image, Showing the magnificent Serpent Storm wrapping around the planet. Looking forward to see more from you And a Super job welldone and Clear Skies.
Efrain

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:40 pm

I wonder what keeps it from spreading out and losing It's narrow shape, even as it gets longer.
I also wonder if It's just a mass of swirling gasses, or if there may be some kind precipitation underneath them.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Anthony Barreiro

Amateur - Professional Collaboration

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:04 pm

>> Amateur astronomers first spotted the bright storm in early December 2010, with the ringed gas giant rising in predawn skies, and continue to monitor the storm's progress.

We seem to be in a golden age of collaboration between amateur and professional astronomers. Given the large number of amateurs around the world with excellent optics, mounts, cameras, and software, new events are more likely to be observed first by an amateur with an 11- or 14-inch telescope than by an over-subscribed big professional telescope with a years-long waiting list for precious observing time. And with high-speed internet connections, data and pictures fly around the world almost instantaneously, so when something really interesting happens, the big scopes can be pointed in the right direction pretty quickly.

With my little 5-inch schmidt-cassegrain telescope, I'm not going to be making any significant contributions any time soon, but I can dream.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:06 pm

If Saturn had a solid surface under the clouds; I would suggest maybe the white band would be a volcanic plume that is taken by the winds going around the planet. Surly something under the cloud tops is creating this phenomena? :?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:29 pm

orin stepanek wrote:If Saturn had a solid surface under the clouds; I would suggest maybe the white band would be a volcanic plume that is taken by the winds going around the planet. Surly something under the cloud tops is creating this phenomena? :?
It's reasonable to assume that the phenomenon involves the next lower cloud layer as well, which cannot be seen, at least in visible light.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Re: Amateur - Professional Collaboration

Post by NoelC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:21 pm

Anthony Barreiro wrote:We seem to be in a golden age of collaboration between amateur and professional astronomers. Given the large number of amateurs around the world with excellent optics, mounts, cameras, and software, new events are more likely to be observed first by an amateur with an 11- or 14-inch telescope than by an over-subscribed big professional telescope with a years-long waiting list for precious observing time. And with high-speed internet connections, data and pictures fly around the world almost instantaneously, so when something really interesting happens, the big scopes can be pointed in the right direction pretty quickly.

With my little 5-inch schmidt-cassegrain telescope, I'm not going to be making any significant contributions any time soon, but I can dream.
Well said, Anthony!

And don't be too sure you can't contribute... Point your scope at places people don't usually look. Leave the big, bright, spectacular objects to the masses. You never know, a comet or NEO or nova or gas bubble or previously unnamed planetary nebula or who KNOWS what might just show up. :)

-Noel

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:33 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Surly something under the cloud tops is creating this phenomena? :?
"Hey, Surly only looks out for one guy ... Surly!"
Art Neuendorffer