APOD: It s Raining on Titan (2011 Apr 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: It s Raining on Titan (2011 Apr 01)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:06 am

Image It s Raining on Titan

Explanation: It's been raining on Titan. In fact, it's likely been raining methane on Titan and that's not an April Fools' joke. The almost familiar scene depicted in this artist's vision of the surface of Saturn's largest moon looks across an eroding landscape into a stormy sky. That scenario is consistent with seasonal rain storms temporarily darkening Titan's surface along the moon's equatorial regions, as seen by instruments onboard the Cassini spacecraft. Of course on frigid Titan, with surface temperatures of about -290 degrees F (-180 degrees C), the cycle of evaporation, cloud formation, and rain involves liquid methane instead of water. Lightning could also be possible in Titan's thick, nitrogen-rich atmosphere.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

default player

Re: APOD: It s Raining on Titan (2011 Apr 01)

Post by default player » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:26 am

So when are we going to drop a tank of liquid oxygen on Titan just to see the fireworks?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:46 am

You couldn't see Saturn from Titan, unless you had infrared detecting eyes.

Ann
Color Commentator

pgp566

Post by pgp566 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:01 am

OMG -- thought Astronomy Picture Of The Day was supposed to be about the science called Astronomy, rather than unscientific figments of the imagination.

wolfie138
Ensign

Post by wolfie138 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:16 am

alright, as someone not too well-versed in chemistry : if it's raining methane etc, how come the lightning wouldn't ignite it and cause a big explosion? :-/

nstahl
Science Officer

Post by nstahl » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:26 am

To quickly reply to posters two through four:

Wolfie, look at the first post and think about it. Ann if you lived on Titan you might well have infrared detecting eyes; or think of it as yet another mapping of the spectrum. Pgp this is a fairly scientific figment of the imagination. I presume it uses a good dollop of the latest info on Titan. Let's face it, a lot of us are interested in astronomy because of what we've imagined as being out there at one time or another.

And it broadens our choices. Not just another pretty galaxy. I support the occasional APOD of this sort.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:58 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:07 am

APOD Robot wrote:Image It s Raining on Titan

<<Lightning could also be possible in Titan's thick, nitrogen-rich atmosphere.>>
It should be pointed out that there is absolutely NO evidence for lightning on Titan.

Solar heating is clearly minimal (besides which methane has only a third the heat of condensation of water vapor).
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:26 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 pm

APOD Robot wrote:that's not an April Fools' joke.
I was kind of hoping to see one here, actually. Thus, this (otherwise excellent and enjoyable artists rendering) was rather a disappointment. A small consolation was the "Water on Mars" APOD, which I had all but forgotten.

-Noel

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Upon reading today's APOD, my immediate reaction was the same as wolfie138's above - wouldn't the lightning, if it existed, ignite the methane even when it is in liquid form?

If lightning did exist there, it seems that there would be an entirely different atmosphere resulting.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:08 pm

A previously-speculated but little-known NASA mission has been successfully completed. Two probes were sent to the moon to do further experiments on the lunar surface, some of which necessitated lighting up the fields of experimentation. Miniature rovers were released from the probes to gather information; tracking was done both through radio signals and visually, requiring that the fields be lit. Alert amateur and professional astronomers were stunned to see and capture this and similar images of the moon during the 20-minute period that portions of the moon were flooded with artificial light. Though initially the experiments were to run while the moon was new, the launching of the probes was delayed due to bad weather and the experiments were performed instead during the crescent phase.

Yes, I'm kidding.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

rfvy1267

Post by rfvy1267 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Isn"t Titan in the same plane as the rings, which would mean that you would have to see the rings edge on from Titan?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:23 pm

Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:27 pm

Its orbital eccentricity is 0.0288, and it is inclined 0.348 degrees relative to the Saturnian equator.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_moon
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:48 pm

biddie67 wrote:
Upon reading today's APOD, my immediate reaction was the same as wolfie138's above - wouldn't the lightning, if it existed, ignite the methane even when it is in liquid form?
No oxygen.
Art Neuendorffer

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:07 pm

neufer wrote:No oxygen.
It's interesting that many people don't realize that free oxygen isn't a given, but a (happy) consequence of billions of years of life and photosynthesis on this planet in the Goldilocks zone by the very entities (bacteria, plants) we seem to have been working SO hard to wipe out.

I cannot look at this picture of Titan without imagining a horrible, gagging death in just a few short moments.

Enjoy that oxygen while you have it, people.

-Noel

APODFORIST
Ensign

Post by APODFORIST » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Ann wrote:You couldn't see Saturn from Titan, unless you had infrared detecting eyes.

Ann
Why someone would need infrared detecting eyes to watch Saturn from Titan? Would the visible spectrum of Saturn's light(reflection) eliminated by Titans atmosphre?

booky1@earthlink.net

Post by booky1@earthlink.net » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:59 pm

You may actually be able to see saturn in normal light. Dim, to be sure.

Titan is NOT in the equatorial ring plane except twice a month (one titan revolution). So you could often see the rings at a low angle.

But there is another problem with the painting. From the equatorial region, the ring plane would be almost vertical. If you saw the primary near the horizon (as in the painting), the rings would point up and down. Or else the location is not in the equatorial region.

Another painting from about 20 years ago of the Huygens probe chuting down in the titanic atmosphere showed saturn in the background SILHOUETTED against the sky. Somebody did not do his/her homework!

fangorn

Post by fangorn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:25 pm

A lovely image, even if it is an artist’s imagination. We can always pick away at the technical details, but it still conjures up images of an alien environment. It is our imaginations that got a probe out there in the first place.

That said, I have a question about the technical details.... The rivulet of methane running down the slope seems to show ripples at the surface. I’m not a chemist, so I ask, given the properties of methane, the atmospheric pressure and composition, and the gravity on Titan, would ripples form in flowing liquid methane, as shown here?

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Is oxygen the only element that supports combustion??

I love all the free oxygen that comes my way and comfortably live in the forest that is self-directed. I'm even comfortable with all the hordes of eco-friendly bacteria in this ol' world. I refuse to use hand-sanitizers and, so far, have had the good fortune to avoid hospitals with their growing colonies of monster GM bacterias and viruses .....

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:58 pm

booky1@earthlink.net wrote:
You may actually be able to see Saturn in normal light. Dim, to be sure.
If the Huygens probe couldn't even see the Sun...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28moon%29 wrote:
<<The Huygens probe was unable to detect the direction of the Sun during its descent, and although it was able to take images from the surface, the Huygens team likened the process to "taking pictures of an asphalt parking lot at dusk".>>
But there is another problem with the painting. From the equatorial region, the ring plane would be almost vertical. If you saw the primary near the horizon (as in the painting), the rings would point up and down. Or else the location is not in the equatorial region.
Correct... A tribute to Chesley Bonestell, no doubt:
Art Neuendorffer

jabm67
Asternaut

Post by jabm67 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:15 pm

booky1@earthlink.net wrote:Titan is NOT in the equatorial ring plane except twice a month (one titan revolution). So you could often see the rings at a low angle.
Pushing a few numbers around, I think that from the points where Titan has the greatest displacement out of the ring plane, the rings would have an angular thickness of a couple of minutes of arc. That's below the limit of unaided vision.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:17 pm

biddie67 wrote:
Is oxygen the only element that supports combustion??
Fluorine, chlorine & even bromine are stronger oxidants than oxygen:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen wrote:
<<Fluorine reacts vigorously with water to produce oxygen (O2) and hydrogen fluoride (HF):

2 F2(g) + 2 H2O(l) → O2(g) + 4 HF(aq)

Chlorine has minimal solubility of 0.7g Cl2 per kg of water at ambient temperature (21ºC). Dissolved chlorine reacts to form hydrochloric acid (HCl) and hypochlorous acid, a solution that can be used as a disinfectant or bleach:

Cl2(g) + H2O(l) → HCl(aq) + HClO(aq)

Bromine has a solubility of 3.41 g per 100 g of water,[5] but it slowly reacts to form hydrogen bromide (HBr) and hypobromous acid (HBrO):

Br2(g) + H2O(l) → HBr(aq) + HBrO(aq)

Iodine, however, is minimally soluble in water (0.03 g/100 g water @ 20ºC) and does not react with it. However, iodine will form an aqueous solution in the presence of iodide ion, such as by addition of potassium iodide (KI), because the triiodide ion is formed.>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:32 pm

jabm67 wrote:
Titan is NOT in the equatorial ring plane except twice a month (one titan revolution). So you could often see the rings at a low angle.
Pushing a few numbers around, I think that from the points where Titan has the greatest displacement out of the ring plane, the rings would have an angular thickness of a couple of minutes of arc. That's below the limit of unaided vision.
One should distinguish seeing from resolving.

One has no trouble 'seeing' Saturn from Earth with unaided vision
though it is never more than a third of a minute of arc in diameter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wall_of_China#Visibility_from_low_earth_orbit wrote:
<<Based on the optics of resolving power...
[a line] object of reasonable contrast to its surroundings which is 1 arc-minute wide would be visible to the unaided eye.

Astronaut William Pogue thought he had seen the Great Wall of China [5 to 9 m wide] from Skylab [440 km] but discovered he was actually looking at the Grand Canal of China near Beijing. He spotted the Great Wall with binoculars, but said that "it wasn't visible to the unaided eye.">>
Art Neuendorffer