APOD: Otherworldly Planet Rise (2011 Apr 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Otherworldly Planet Rise (2011 Apr 11)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:06 am

Image Otherworldly Planet Rise

Explanation: What would a sunrise look like on another world? So far, humanity has only recorded sunrises on Mars and Earth, but it is fun to wonder what they would look like on planets known and yet unknown. Planets far from their parent star would record the rise of an unusually bright point of light rather than a round orb. Although this might appear to be what is pictured above, the careful combination of long exposures and creative lighting is actually based on Venus-rise from planet Earth a few weeks ago, captured through Mesa Arch in Canyonlands National Park, Utah, USA. Picturesque buttes and mesas dot the background landscape. The orange sky is created by air scattering and dust, but is likely reminiscent of dusty skyscapes on Mars. Sunrise was set to occur a few minutes hence, and did indeed involve a round orb.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Re: APOD: Otherworldly Planet Rise (2011 Apr 11)

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:02 am

All these cgi posts are terrible, as if they were made by a 10 year old. Please stop posting them.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:41 am

Guest wrote:All these cgi posts are terrible, as if they were made by a 10 year old. Please stop posting them.
Um, Guest: if you bothered to read the 'Explanation', it clearly states that the image is
actually based on Venus-rise from planet Earth a few weeks ago...
Reading comprehension is your friend, Guest. :roll:

I thought the image was pretty nice - I love Canyonlands NP!

:mrgreen:
Forget the box, just get outside.

mitsy

Post by mitsy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:10 am

Marvelous idea. Fantastic photo! Congratulations!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:15 am

neat movie!
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Amateur Photo Bug

Post by Amateur Photo Bug » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:38 pm

I've taken photos at Mesa Arch at different times of the day. The manipulated photo is a good one, but is it possible to see a version with Venus rising without the "sun-like" enhancement?

moonstruck
Science Officer

Post by moonstruck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:50 pm

Guest wrote:All these cgi posts are terrible, as if they were made by a 10 year old. Please stop posting them.
Speaking of a 10 year old shouldn't you be in school? :x
The picture is beautiful. I've been there and it's a fascinating place.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Indigo_Sunrise wrote:
Um, Guest: if you bothered to read the 'Explanation', it clearly states that the image is
actually based on Venus-rise from planet Earth a few weeks ago...
Reading comprehension is your friend, Guest. :roll:
Of course parts of it were taken from a real image, but then they were cobbled together using mspaint. Look at the horizon, jesus, it looks terrible.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:23 pm

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Interesting photo - but as majestic as this landscape is, I'm sure glad that the whole Earth isn't like this!
owlice wrote:(bb|[^b]{2})/ ~ Shakespeare
.... so in what language does the apparently multi-lingual Shakespeare speaketh? Do I dare ask what was said?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:52 pm

"What would a sunrise look like on another world?"

What would the people look like on that world?
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap100519.html

Another world THAT far away from its sun probably wouldn't have canyons & arches.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_the_Canyonlands_area wrote:
<<A vast sea covered the [Canyonlands] region in early Pennsylvanian time. A basin in the area called Paradox Basin subsided and a mountain range called the Uncompahgre Mountains was uplifted to the east. Great quantities of seawater were trapped in the subsiding basin and water became increasingly saline in the hot and dry climate. Thousands of feet of evaporites (anhydrite and gypsum then halite) started to build up in the Mid Pennsylvanian and storms occasionally washed sediment from the nearby mountains. Fresh seawater periodically refilled the basin but was never able to flush out the very salty water there (the new water in fact floated on top of the brine). These beds were later lithified to become the Paradox Formation, which in turn is part of the Hermosa Group. Compressed salt beds from the Paradox started to flow plastically later in the Pennsylvanian and probably continued to move from then until the end of the Jurassic.

The Paradox is up to 5000 feet thick in places and in the park is exposed at the bottom of Cataract Canyon as rock gypsum inter-bedded with black shale. Upward movement of the Paradox is also a possible theory for the creation of Upheaval Dome, although none of the Paradox is exposed on the dome, the predominant theory being a meteor crater.

Starting 70 million years ago and extending well into the Tertiary, a mountain-building event called the Laramide orogeny uplifted the Rocky Mountains and with it the Canyonlands region. Even though the strata were uplifted thousands of feet they were left at more-or-less the same horizontally.

When ground water seeped into the salt beds of the Paradox Formation it carried away the topmost and more soluble salts, leaving gypsum. This process was so pronounced in The Grabens that the overlying rock collapsed into voids left by escaping salt. Increased precipitation during the ice ages of the Pleistocene quickened the rate of canyon excavation. Canyon widening and deepening was especially rapid for the gorges of the Green and Colorado Rivers, which were in part fed by glacier melt from the Rocky Mountains. Alluvial fan creation landslides and sand dune migration were also accelerated in the Pleistocene. These processes continue to shape the Canyonlands landscape in the Holocene (the current epoch) but at a slower rate due to a significant increase in aridity.>>
Last edited by neufer on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Guest wrote:Of course parts of it were taken from a real image, but then they were cobbled together using mspaint. Look at the horizon, jesus, it looks terrible.
From the exif data:

Code: Select all

Camera:   Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi
Lens:     20mm f/1.8
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/13 sec, f/8, ISO 100
Flash:    Off, Did not fire
Date:     March 13, 2011   6:35:30AM
Why is it when people see an image they wish they were able to take but don't have the patience or technical expertise to take, their immediate comment is that it is faked or photo shopped?

It's a very nice image. My congratulations and thanks to Mr. Robert Arn.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:23 pm

13 miles off on average. How are the rest of you doing on the game? :ssmile:
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Sam
Science Officer

Post by Sam » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:55 pm

owlice wrote:13 miles off on average. How are the rest of you doing on the game? :ssmile:
USA

After a couple tries and a switch to a computer with a mouse instead of a touch pad, I got a 100% with an Avg Error of 0 miles in 239 seconds. Putting Arkansas or Kansas in the middle of a blank map is not easy!
Sam
"No avian society ever develops space travel because it's impossible to focus on calculus when you could be outside flying." -Randall Munroe

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:48 pm

RE: the game ....

Maybe somewhere on the bell curve with the average bear - I did see more red linings than I would like to admit to have seen.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:56 pm

biddie67 wrote:Interesting photo - but as majestic as this landscape is, I'm sure glad that the whole Earth isn't like this!
owlice wrote:(bb|[^b]{2})/ ~ Shakespeare
.... so in what language does the apparently multi-lingual Shakespeare speaketh? Do I dare ask what was said?
Elizabethan English, regex dialect!

brucet9
Asternaut

Post by brucet9 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:00 pm

bystander wrote:
Guest wrote:Of course parts of it were taken from a real image, but then they were cobbled together using mspaint. Look at the horizon, jesus, it looks terrible.
From the exif data:

Code: Select all

Camera:   Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi
Lens:     20mm f/1.8
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/13 sec, f/8, ISO 100
Flash:    Off, Did not fire
Date:     March 13, 2011   6:35:30AM
Why is it when people see an image they wish they were able to take but don't have the patience or technical expertise to take, their immediate comment is that it is faked or photo shopped?

It's a very nice image. My congratulations and thanks to Mr. Robert Arn.
Exif data doesn't mean the image has not been PhotoShopped. Those data stay with the image even after substantial alterations have been made.

This image has had the orange sky color altered; and not very skillfully at that; very nasty selection lines remain. The starburst has clearly also been added, such that if Venus was in the image, it has been obliterated by the starburst effect that was placed over it.

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:18 pm

The image has definitely been edited with an image editor. That's clear from the content.

But what's wrong with that? Digital artwork is shown here quite often, and this is a pretty one.

-Noel

marlan

Post by marlan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:23 pm

I thing you could never have these rocky shapes (the left center of the image) on another planet with such a distant sun, because they are typically a part of an ancient deep ocean floor. With such a distant sun no liquid water could have exist. Am I wrong ?

florid_snow
Ensign

Post by florid_snow » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Of course it has been digitally processed. It also says so at the bottom of the page that owlice posted http://barn.zenfolio.com/p1068266116/h3dd79de#h15b98baa

I agree in spirit with the criticisms, they should just be clearly articulated. The prettiness of digital artwork is in the eye of the beholder. From a scientific perspective, I don't think the photo illustrates the points the description focuses on. The horizon has been messed with to look abnormally sharp, as if there is very little atmosphere in the line of sight. So I would suggest the orange sky glow should be reduced to illustrate a low amount of atmosphere, or at least incorporate a strong gradient so that it is reduced quickly towards the zenith. If a low amount of atmosphere was to be simulated, why are the distant mountains saturated with a type of greyish whiteness as if there is a lot of dust in the air? These effects don't go together, and to me such incongruities are visually distracting. The multiple undiscussed atmospheric effects are, at least to this observer, incompatible. I appreciate the author's imagination, and I'd love to see more of his images.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:46 pm

owlice wrote:13 miles off on average. How are the rest of you doing on the game? :ssmile:
92% - 30 miles off - 398 sec.

Not bad for a Canajun, eh? Oklahoma got me, but I hear Oklahoma gets a lot of people.

Rob

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:31 am

marlan wrote:
I thing you could never have these rocky shapes (the left center of the image) on another planet with such a distant sun, because they are typically a part of an ancient deep ocean floor. With such a distant sun no liquid water could have exist. Am I wrong ?
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110401.html
Art Neuendorffer

Atul

Post by Atul » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:08 am

To quote from today's APOD ... "has only recorded sunrises on Mars and Earth", I am curious (and wonder too) if humans never witnessed sunrise on Lunar soil?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:42 am

Game :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:09 am

Atul wrote:
To quote from today's APOD ... "has only recorded sunrises on Mars and Earth",
I am curious (and wonder too) if humans never witnessed sunrise on Lunar soil?
There were very good reasons for Apollo astronauts to have both Sun & Earth in view at all times when on the Moon.
Art Neuendorffer