A Radar View of Titan (APOD 24 Nov 2004)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
The Meal
Ensign

A Radar View of Titan (APOD 24 Nov 2004)

Post by The Meal » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:53 pm

APOD under comment.

Could the question of where the craters are, be addressed by the link to the APOD from last August? Is it possible that a thick atmosphere (and a nearby large gravity well) does an effective job in diverting/burning up potential impactors? I know, I know, growing organic biomass is a much more exciting solution :), but I'm a bit curious to hear from folks "in-the-know" as to the protecting effects that beefy atmospheres can have (if not just for Titan, then for other extra-solar planets in the galaxy).

Thanks,
~Neal
BSME, Michigan Tech 1995
MSME, Michigan Tech 2000

BMAONE

TITAN'S CRATERS

Post by BMAONE » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:34 pm

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassi ... index.html
IN THE NASA CASSINI-SATURN WEBSITE THERE IS A GOOD RADAR PICTURE OF TITAN. IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY AT THE DESIGNS IN THE LIGHT (HIGH) AREAS THEY APPEAR (TO ME) TO BE SOMETHING LIKE VOLCANIC FLOES. MAYBR THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THE CREATERS.

Sputnick
Science Officer
AKA: Sputnick

Protection

Post by Sputnick » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:52 am

I don't think we have to look beyond earth to see the protection a beefy atmosphere has .. not many craters here.
If man were made to fly he wouldn't need alcohol .. lots and lots and lots of alcohol to get through the furors while maintaining the fervors.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Protection

Post by neufer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:30 pm

Sputnick wrote:I don't think we have to look beyond earth to see the protection a beefy atmosphere has .. not many craters here.
Titan has a surface pressure 50% higher than earth's but a gravity only 1/7th of earths:
1.5 * 7 ~ 10 times thicker atmosphere.
Art Neuendorffer