APOD: Mercury's Surface in Exaggerated Color (2011 Jun 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD: Mercury's Surface in Exaggerated Color (2011 Jun 1

Post by Beyond » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:55 am

Owlice, thanks for the gesture, but i KNOW those cupcakes didn't survive long after the photo. :lol:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:01 am

No, no, I still have them! Really! I had an Orange Blossom cupcake:
Fresh orange-infused vanilla cupcake with an
orange-infused vanilla cream cheese frosting
topped with a candied orange peel

Didn't have "Happy 16th Anniversary, APOD" written in icing on top, but was still good.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:19 am

I dunno, owlice. I think theres something a little :fish: here. Those may be vintage photos to disguise the fact that you've already gobbled them down and can't invite us to your Apod 16 party.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:34 am

owlice wrote:
Didn't have "Happy 16th Anniversary, APOD" written in icing on top, but was still good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decadence wrote: <<Decadence can refer to a personal trait, or to the state of a society (or segment of it). Used to describe a person's lifestyle. Concise Oxford Dictionary: "a luxurious self-indulgence". Oscar Wilde gave a curious definition: "Classicism is the subordination of the parts to the whole; decadence is the subordination of the whole to the parts." In literature, the Decadent movement—late nineteenth century fin de siècle writers who were associated with Symbolism or the Aesthetic movement—was first given its name by hostile critics, and then the name was triumphantly adopted by some writers themselves. These "decadents" relished artifice over the earlier Romantics' naive view of nature (see Jean-Jacques Rousseau). Some of these writers were influenced by the tradition of the Gothic novel and by the poetry and fiction of Edgar Allan Poe.

In a social context, the word 'decadent' is often used to describe corrosive decline due to a perceived erosion of moral traditions (a society that discards unnecessary and outmoded values would not be considered decadent, although perceptions of "unnecessary and outmoded" significantly vary). Due to arguments over the nature of morality, whether a society is decadent or not is a matter of debate.>>
Art Neuendorffer