Space: 35 Years Ago, Viking Invaded Mars

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Space: 35 Years Ago, Viking Invaded Mars

Post by bystander » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:39 am

NASA First Invaded Red Planet with Viking Mars Landing
Space.com | Charles Q Choi | 2011 July 20
On Mars Day every year, people celebrate the first spacecraft to successfully land on Mars — NASA's Viking 1, which touched down on the Red Planet 35 years ago.

The craft that landed July 20, 1976, the first of many visitors to Mars, had been designed to work for 90 days, but it continued gathering data for more than six years. In doing so, Viking 1 helped answer many questions about the nature of Earth's neighbor, but it also left behind a mystery that remains tantalizingly unsolved to this very day: Is there evidence of life on Mars?

Before Viking 1 arrived, scientists had no high-resolution images of the Martian surface. The mission helped image the entire surface of Mars at a resolution of about 500 to 1,000 feet (150 to 300 meters), with selected areas at about 25 feet (8 m).

This provided a more complete view of the planet than scientists had ever had, showing volcanoes, lava plains, giant canyons, craters and wind-formed features.

The Martian air and surface

Viking 1, along with Viking 2, also provided the first measurements of the atmosphere and surface.

"By digging up Martian soil, the Viking landers found out they were several percent water by weight," said Robert Zubrin, president and founder of the Mars Society.

"Of course, this was an underestimate, which was known about even then — the soil was made to sit in 15 degrees C temperatures [59 degrees F] before it was properly sampled, so it lost some water. Still, it showed Martian soil was several percent water, as opposed to several parts per million water as is the case with lunar soil. This greatly reinforced the picture greatly suggested by Mariner 9 that Mars was covered with innumerable systems of dry riverbeds."

Looking for life

Viking also represented the first and so far only attempt to search for life on Mars. Its findings are hotly debated today.

"One school of thought, exemplified by Gil Levin, made the cause for life, while the other from Norm Horowitz argued against it on Mars," Zubrin said. "The Viking experiments remain inconclusive."

The landers had detected organic molecules such as methyl chloride and dichloromethane. However, these compounds were dismissed as terrestrial contamination — namely, cleaning fluids used to prepare the spacecraft when it was still on Earth.

"The real question of Mars is about life, and to answer it we'll need people there," Zubrin said. "If one thinks the laws of science of life on Earth are the same elsewhere in the universe — which I do — then it's rational to believe that life once developed on Mars when it was a warm and wet planet. There may now be fossils on the surface and maybe living organisms underground."

He added: "The question that a human mission to Mars could resolve is whether the origin of life is a high-probability event that occurs in a natural sequence of chemical complexification. If that's the case, then life should have appeared on Mars and life is extremely abundant in the universe. If not, then we could be unique. Mars is a Rosetta stone for understanding the potential and diversity of life in the cosmos."
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Space: 35 Years Ago, Viking Invaded Mars

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:24 pm

Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:10 am

The pre-vikings, too, invaded Mars!
"Barna Hedenhös i världsrymden" means, loosely, "The Stone-Age Kids in Space". These were the Stone-Age Kids:

The boy is called Sten (Rock) and the girl is called Flisa (Splinter).

In the book "Barna Hedenhös i världsrymden", the kids' father built a spaceship out of a hollow tree trunk. The family then went first to the Moon and then to Mars. As a kid, I loved the part when the kids visited Mars! Mars looked like a futuristic yet very 1950-ish Sweden. The Martians (who were called "Marzipans") were extremely white-skinned, because their planet was so far from the sun that the Marzipans never got sun-tanned. They wore 1950s style shirts, ties, jackets and pants (see http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24484 :wink: ) and drove nice little 1950s style cars. (I think, though I'm not quite sure, that they might have had some flying cars, too.) They had an enormous canal system, where water was led all over Mars through an humongous system of huge pipelines. And there were cats, "Mars cats", which ran all over the planet and scared Sten and Flisa's dog! (In Sweden, we use the expression "Mars cats" to describe cats that fight and make a lot of loud noise in March - called "Mars" in Swedish - during their mating season.)

Unsurprisingly, the favorite food of the Marzipans was marzipan!

Ah, those were the days back in the early sixties when I read about Sten and Flisa and even stone age kids could go to Mars!

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Ann wrote:
"Barna Hedenhös i världsrymden" means, loosely, "The Stone-Age Kids in Space". These were the Stone-Age Kids:

The boy is called Sten (Rock) and the girl is called Flisa (Splinter).
This must have been before the Swedes regularly bleached their hair.
Art Neuendorffer