FOGGY MIRRORS AND FREAKY EYE DOGS

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Rare White Ape
Asternaut

FOGGY MIRRORS AND FREAKY EYE DOGS

Post by Rare White Ape » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:00 am

I would like to share something I noticed tonight after I had a shower. It freaked me out at first, until I realised what I was seeing! I hadn't noticed it before, and I've never heard of it mentioned anywhere else, so I thought I would share my 'discovery'.

I looked at myself in the foggy mirror and saw that my eyes were encircled by two weird rings of alternating light and dark areas. They weren't colourful, just took on an almost black or white shade. It looked like I had weird cartoony eyes. I tried taking photos, below, but that was difficult as I have a black camera and you probably need a lighter colour in the background.

Do it yourself after your next shower! Simply look through the fog straight into your eyes reflected in the mirror and you will see the optical illusion.

How is this caused? I think it is a result of the tiny water droplets that have condensed on the mirror's surface. As light passes through the droplets, it is bent and refracted and polarised in the water droplets in the same way a sundog creates a ring of reflected light with airborne ice crystals. The reason it is centered around your eyes is because of your perspective - the image of your eye is light bouncing off your eye, reflecting off the mirror and back to your eye, and the angle is almost exactly 180 degrees. The ring shape is caused by the distance of the cells in the retina from dead-centre in the field-of-view. Move further away and the light reflected changes radially from light to dark and back again.

Check out my photos: centered directly over the camera lens is the dog.

Closer detail of the image with the contrast boosted a bit to hopefully bring it out a little.

Uber-sized original: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6077/607 ... 4bc6_o.jpg

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Re: FOGGY MIRRORS AND FREAKY EYE DOGS

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:54 pm

I've noticed this effect myself on a number of occasions. Something about how the Fogged Mirror bends and distorts the light

lauren

Post by lauren » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Oh my god thank you so much for posting this. I thought I was "tripping" or going insane... Possibly seeing something! Ahhh I feel much better.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:01 pm

I've seen something totally different on a clear mirror in two different houses so the possibility of halucination is pretty farfetched bt let me me tell you it was really freaky

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Both of my eyes were 2 different eyes the right one was half blue (dark ocean blue) and half blood red and this extended throughout the whole eye not just the pupil. While my left eye was a cats eye in the pupil and was pale yellow and outside the pupil was pitch black. It was hela scary and i have no reason to lie about this either

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:06 pm

My eyes emit strands of spaghetti. No, really...
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Snippy

Post by Snippy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:54 pm

geckzilla wrote:My eyes emit strands of spaghetti. No, really...
I think you're being sarcastic, but that's just my opinion.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Lol I swear im serious tho I hav a friend who saw red eyes in the mirror so i googled it and found this website btw do u watch naruto @ geckzilla those spaghetti strands look like the mangenkiyo

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:38 pm

No, I don't watch Naruto, though I know what you are talking about. My avatar is more of an infinity symbol or Celtic knot style thing.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

anon.

Post by anon. » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:31 am

I see colors when I look in the mirror after a shower, usually blood red in both. I used to think I was posessed, so after like 4 months I finally googled it and found this. Thanks the the assistance, I now know I'm neither mental nor posessed!...well, I'm still probably mental, but you get the point.