APOD: Apollo 17 Site: A Sharper View (2011 Sep 08)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
saturn2

Re: APOD: Apollo 17 Site: A Sharper View (2011 Sep 08)

Post by saturn2 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 pm

I think that Apollo missions was the part more important of the space investigations.
Why?
Because the human astonauts walked on the Moon.
We can to have many spacecrafts near of many planets.
But only the astronauts walked in the Moon.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:11 am

There are those here who will explain how incredibly expensive it is to send humans into space and how the money can be better spent on unmanned projects. But I'm with you. I think the presence of human beings in space makes all the difference.

But don't worry; we're going back -- if not soon, then later; if not the current space veteran nations, then others will step forward. Humans are explorers, not watchers.

Rob

APODFORIST
Ensign

Post by APODFORIST » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:27 am

owlice wrote:There is at least one set of initials on the moon from Apollo 17:
While Jack cleaned up inside, I drove the Rover about a mile away from the LM and parked it carefully so the television camera could photograph our takeoff the next day. As I dismounted, I took a moment to kneel and with a single finger, scratched [my daughter] Tracy's initials, T D C, in the lunar dust, knowing those three letters would remain there undisturbed for more years than anyone could imagine.
http://www.nationalaviation.org/cernan-eugene/
(Also in the book Cernan authored called he Last Man on the Moon: Astronaut Eugene Cernan and America's Race in Space.)
The picture shows the rover is parked about 100m away from the landing module ... So what did Cernan wrote there with "about a mile" ?