APOD: On the Origin of Gold (2011 Sep 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: On the Origin of Gold (2011 Sep 11)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:06 am

Image On the Origin of Gold

Explanation: Where did the gold in your jewelry originate? No one is completely sure. The relative average abundance in our Solar System appears higher than can be made in the early universe, in stars, and even in typical supernova explosions. Some astronomers have recently suggested that neutron-rich heavy elements such as gold might be most easily made in rare neutron-rich explosions such as the collision of neutron stars. Pictured above is an artist's illustration depicting two neutron stars spiraling in toward each other, just before they collide. Since neutron star collisions are also suggested as the origin of short duration gamma-ray bursts, it is possible that you already own a souvenir from one of the most powerful explosions in the universe.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: On the Origin of Gold (2011 Sep 11)

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:25 am

Two neutron stars making gold; and other heavies 8-)
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:51 am

I like this linked article. The new mechanism identified with neutron star collisions is the small fraction of extremely hot ejecta ("several jupiter masses") that escapes during the collision process, unlike a fully destructive, detonation event e.g. massive progenitor-star supernovae.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

Leon1949Green

Post by Leon1949Green » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:51 am

This reminds me of the wonderful words of Samuel F. B. Morse on the occasion of the first working of his telegraph: What hath God wrought?! God works in mysterious ways.

Amazed

Post by Amazed » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:40 pm

:x

Nobody knows anything! It's always a mystery. Everyday I come to this website and also the same.
Millions and millions are spent but no results.

It is becoming quite boring to watch the daily pics and read 'MYSTERY'.

For once I like to read 'WE KNOW"

but that will NEVER be because knowledge will elude you.

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Amazed wrote:For once I like to read 'WE KNOW"
Realizing you posted to provoke, I'll try to answer anyway.
I thought it is quite refreshing to see APOD scientists honestly admit what isn't known (yet). Compare that to other reports on any subject in the media, presented as absolute truths, but it fact either propaganda or most likely scenario without stating the uncertainty.
And: cutting edge science is ALWAYS on what we don't know (precisely), otherwise it would be a history lesson, not science to learn new things.
Also: each answer we get usually results in a multitude of new questions. (“The more you know, the more you realise how much you don't know”)

If known process "A" can't be the cause of thing-we-find "B", then yet-to-be-discovered process "C" must be needed to explain "B". Let's make a model of what "C" could be, and try to test that. No absolute certainty there, but the best we (humanity) can do. It's how we advanced since the dawn of mankind.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:31 pm

Amazed wrote:Nobody knows anything! It's always a mystery. Everyday I come to this website and also the same.
Millions and millions are spent but no results.
What you, and far too many others seem to think, is that science is all about answering questions. And while answers are something we all want, the most important component of science is arguably asking good questions. Because what we don't know is largely the result of not asking the right questions. The history of science demonstrates that once you have a well formed question, you start getting answers. A "mystery" identified is a mystery likely to be solved.

Your understanding of scientific knowledge appears as poor as your understanding of scientific method if you actually don't see the results that have been generated by modern science, and the results that are being produced right now at an accelerating rate!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Wolf Kotenberg

Post by Wolf Kotenberg » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Makes sense for it is CERN lab duplicating collisions to create new particles, right ?

Wolf Kotenberg

Post by Wolf Kotenberg » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:14 pm

And it is possible some ancient beings in a galaxy far away, very far away, and a really long time ago, detected a gamma ray emanating friom the Mily way galaxy, or whatever moniker they used to describe this galaxy. Just maybe.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:28 pm

There is a good analogy, if you will, for the "greater than average abundance". People think in small finite terms, and this is limiting in the first place. Take DIAMOND for example. The carbon came from Stars. And MOST diamond is from carbon around volcanoes in Kimberlite "fingers". But it was the deep PRESSURES that formed it into diamonds, STARS did not FORM the diamonds, they formed HERE. Micro-diamonds are formed from the carbon in Asteroids when they hit the Earth. The PRESSURE and HEAT cause them to form. There can be millions of micro-diamonds in a rock that went through an asteroid impact, just like Shocked-Quartz can indicate an asteroid impact. That shocked quarts was from the IMPACT, not that it was formed in stars and came here. Get it? It is a process. On Earth.
OIL IS NOT FORMED IN STARS!!! IT IS FORMED ON EARTH THROUGH BIOLOGICAL AND GEOLOGICAL PROCESSES!!!!! Even though the elements might originate in a star. GEOLOGICAL processes form things that are not found in stars!!!!! I doubt, there is very much WATER ON THE SUN!!!!!
Earth Diamonds are a process too. Gold, ON EARTH, is a process as well. In and around volcanoes you have elements, heat, and pressures. It is a precipitation process. When the volcanic area cools, elements precipitate out, and combine, and form. Many other elements precipitate out along with gold and diamonds. Gold in this case can be found in or with Quartz Crystal. My Uncle had a ring with a piece of Quartz....with a vein of Gold shot through it. So, WHILE THE ELEMENTS OF THE EARTH may, and were created in the processes of Stars, there are also Earth processes, AND EVEN MAN MADE processes, (as in the creation of LAB DIAMONDS), that would explain the seeming discrepancy between "greater than average abundance" than we would expect to see. Not all processes are in space....just because your head is out there....There would at least SEEM to be EARTH PROCESSES that help in the formation of gold...even if the primary elements were formed in stars. AFTER ALL, YOU ARE MADE OF ELEMENTS FROM STARS.....BUT YOU ARE A BIOLOGICAL EARTH PROCESS!!!!!!!! YOU WERE NOT MADE IN STARS!!!!!! Earthling.....
The sand is here naturally from broken down rock.....it takes a FURNACE to make it into GLASS!!!! Glass can occur from Asteroid impact above a desert and has happened in the Sahara. So while the elements might have formed in Stars, the Star did NOT FORM THE GLASS IN YOUR HAND. I doubt there is much GLASS in the Sun, or created by exploding stars.
I hope this helps explain this apparent discrepancy, and it shows that "CREATION" is an on going process. What started in Stars, and stopped....continued in and on planets in various other processes. OTHERWISE THERE WOULD ONLY BE A COLD, DEAD, BARREN ROCK HERE!!!!
If I am not correct....at least I maybe quite close in my analysis....

By the way....I CALL "DIBS" ON OLYMPUS MONS!!!!!! The Largest Volcano in the Solar System!!!!!!
"BACK OFF, YA LONG EARED VARMINT!!!! IT IS MINE, MINE, MINE, ALL MINE, I TELL YOU!!!!!! GOOOOLLLDDD!!!! DIAMONDS!!!!!! I'M RICH!!!!!!!!!!! MUUUUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
"COMMAND ME, MY MASTER!!!!!!!!"

LOL,

:-----------========== *

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:42 pm

Case wrote:
Amazed wrote:For once I like to read 'WE KNOW"
Realizing you posted to provoke, I'll try to answer anyway.
I thought it is quite refreshing to see APOD scientists honestly admit what isn't known (yet). Compare that to other reports on any subject in the media, presented as absolute truths, but it fact either propaganda or most likely scenario without stating the uncertainty.
And: cutting edge science is ALWAYS on what we don't know (precisely), otherwise it would be a history lesson, not science to learn new things.
Also: each answer we get usually results in a multitude of new questions. (“The more you know, the more you realise how much you don't know”)

If known process "A" can't be the cause of thing-we-find "B", then yet-to-be-discovered process "C" must be needed to explain "B". Let's make a model of what "C" could be, and try to test that. No absolute certainty there, but the best we (humanity) can do. It's how we advanced since the dawn of mankind.
You are absolutely right!
I am trying to provoke answers to questions that this website has amazingly left on answered.
What is light?
What is gravity?
What is magnetism?
What is water?
and on and on....

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Guest wrote:You are absolutely right!
I am trying to provoke answers to questions that this website has amazingly left on answered.
What is light?
What is gravity?
What is magnetism?
What is water?
and on and on....
It is not the mission or intent of this forum to answer those questions. Of course, there are good answers to all of them, and discussions about them may come up in the context of discussing APOD images and the science around them... which is what this forum is all about.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:50 pm

What is light?
What is gravity?
What is magnetism?
What is water?
and on and on....
Why is it amazing that this website has in your opinion left those questions unanswered? APOD isn't a quiz show.

If what you're trying to provoke is answers, I'd say it's likely you're in the wrong place. If you are continuously disappointed in what you find on APOD, why do you keep looking at it??
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:50 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
What is light?
What is gravity?
What is magnetism?
What is water?
and on and on....
It is not the mission or intent of this forum to answer those questions. Of course, there are good answers to all of them, and discussions about them may come up in the context of discussing APOD images and the science around them... which is what this forum is all about.
Again I am confused I thought those images were images of stars and planets etc?

Apparently light, gravity, magnetism, and water do not exist there.

"The problem is mans ignorance is only outpaced by his arrogance."
"in a court of law it doens't matter what you believe it's what you can prove."

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Guest wrote:Again I am confused I thought those images were images of stars and planets etc?
Really? Your point escapes me.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:23 pm

<<An indirect way in which extinct weird life might leave a trace is through mineral processing. Many mineral deposits, including iron, copper and gold, are thought to be biogenic - that is, their deposition and concentration have been caused at least in part by the activities of microbes that use these metals for metabolism. A mineral deposit that was impossible for known life to create, yet showed all the marks of being biogenic, would be circumstantial evidence for alternative biochemistry at work.>>

- _The Eerie Silence: Renewing Our Search for Alien Intelligence_ By Paul Davies
--------------------------------------------------
http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=09-P13-00013&segmentID=7 wrote: <<Paul Davies is an astrobiologist at Arizona State University, and in a recent
article in the journal Astrobiology he calls for a mission to planet earth
in search of, what he calls, "weird life."

Professor Davies, welcome to Living on Earth.

DAVIES: Thank you.

GELLERMAN: So you’re calling on scientists to search for alien life. In your paper you call it weird life. What’s weird life?

DAVIES: Weird life is life as we don’t know it. All life on Earth that we currently know is the same life, it’s descended from a common ancestor. But, I don’t think we’ve looked carefully enough to see whether there could be another form of life right here on Earth. And what interests me is the issue – has life happened more than once?

GELLERMAN: It’s what you call the shadow biosphere – that is that there would be a second genesis, kind of like a second tree of life.

DAVIES: Exactly right. So Darwin had this idea that life forms a sort of tree, and I think we’re all familiar with that, that species branch and that you can look at all the different species on earth today and trace back when they would have been genetically identical in the far past. And there’s been this assumption for decades that the tree of life is single tree. But I’ve often wondered, could it be a forest. Could there have been many geneses of life either on Earth or somewhere else and come to Earth. And the first thought is, well, surely we would have noticed. But almost all life on Earth that we know, that is that belongs to our tree, is microbial. And you can’t tell by looking at microbes what they’re made of.

GELLERMAN: Yeah, you write that if you had one gram of dirt, there’d be a million microbes and we’ve only characterized one percent of them. So we really don’t – we don’t even know what’s in that gram.

DAVIES: Exactly right, yeah. We tend to notice the big things, the elephants and the oak trees and, of course, the people, but overwhelmingly, life on Earth is bacterial life or there’s another branch of microbes called Archaea. And they make up the lion share of all life. But most of these haven’t been characterized or catalogued and nobody really knows what’s out there. And I’m just saying let’s be open to the fact that there could be microbes from a different genesis of life from you and me.

GELLERMAN: Well all this really begs the question, what is life? What is life?

DAVIES: Well, you probably remember in high school all these definitions like reproduction and metabolism and response to stimulus and so on. Now the difficulty is that for every one of those properties, you can find something that we all agree is not living that shares them. So for, example, crystals and bush fires replicate. And then the flip side is we can find living things that don’t satisfy some of those definitions. So mules, for example, are certainly living, but they’re sterile, so they don’t reproduce. But some people turn the whole thing around and they say that any system that undergoes Darwinian evolution is by definition living. It doesn’t really matter too much for my purposes except the transition from nonliving to living should be a well defined thing. And the difficulty is that even the simplest known living cell is already so immensely complex it’s inconceivable it just sort of popped into existence ready made. It would have had to have come from some long series of simpler, earlier things. And we don’t know what those things are. And one of the fascinating aspects of this entire study is that if we go look, if we go out there to look for another form of life, weird life, we might find that, of course, but we might also find a living fossil, a precursor of familiar life.

GELLERMAN: Well here we are living on Earth, where would you boldly go where no one has boldly gone before to find weird, unknown life?

DAVIES: Well, there are two strategies here. One of these is that we could look somewhere that’s beyond the reach of known life because then it’s easier to identify. If anything’s living there and we know that known life can’t, well, then, by definition that’s going to be weird life. So my first thought is to look in areas that are just simply so hostile to known life that maybe weird life has got a toehold there. But the other scenario, which is actually I think more plausible is that weird life and known life are simply intermingled. That is that these weird or alien bugs are all around us because you can’t tell by looking what they are. And if you go and see microbiologists at work and ask them do they ever have any microbes they’re working with they’re having difficulty with, they can’t culture them, they can’t sequence them – well all the time. And what happens to these, well, they get thrown down the sink. So, it’s entirely likely that microbiologists have seen weird life but not recognized it for what it is because its not going to stand out saying “I am weird.” It’s not going to be wearing a uniform.

GELLERMAN: So how would you know something when you didn’t know what you were looking for?

DAVIES: That’s part of the difficulty. So you need to make an educated guess as to how weird life might differ. And so, all life uses molecules that have the same handedness. That is that DNA is always wound like a right-handed spiral staircase, a right-handed helix. And amino acids that make up the proteins in our bodies are all by some definition left handed. Now there’s nothing in the laws of chemistry that says something’s got to be left handed or right handed, but life has made one particular choice. But we can imagine that life would use all the same stuff, the same bases for DNA, the same amino acids for proteins, identical molecules, but the mirror images, called this mirror life, if you like. And then one way of identifying that is you make a soup, a nutrient medium of mirror molecules and you see if anything will grow in it.

GELLERMAN: You know that soup, I think I have some of that in my refrigerator from a few years ago, way in the back.

[LAUGHING]

GELLERMAN: If we did find alien life on Earth, what do you think we might learn?

DAVIES: Oh I think this would be the most stupendous discovery in biology since Darwin, because it’s telling us what we would really like to know which is that life is not a stupendously improbable freak. It’s not just an accident of chemistry that’s occurred only once in the universe. It’s something that emerges naturally and relatively easily from the underlying laws of physics and chemistry. Now, the truth of the matter is that we don’t know. It could be that that’s it – we’re alone in the universe. Or it could be that it does emerge more or less automatically and readily in Earth like conditions and there’s no planet more Earth like than Earth itself. So, if it’s true that life pops up on Earth like planets around the universe, it should pop up many times here on Earth. So we would test that and if we found that yes, indeed there isn’t just one form of life on Earth, there’s two or maybe ten – who knows – we could say with confidence that we will find life all around the universe and with almost equal confidence that we are not alone. And that is a very very deep and profound conclusion. And we can do it without basically leaving our own planetary doorstep.

GELLERMAN: So Professor, why do you think the search for different life forms is so interesting to us earthlings?

DAVIES: I think we are curious because it touches on some of the deep issues. Go back 500 years when everybody’s thinking about the nature of life was based on religion. And so in Europe at that time, Giordano Bruno, while he lived somewhat earlier than that, was burned at the stake for, in part, suggesting that there are other inhabited worlds. Because the idea was that human beings and life on Earth was God’s special creation. And then after Darwinism, people accepted that this wasn’t so, that life is a natural phenomenon, that we have emerged from nature naturally. And then the question is, you know, are we freaks? Is this just an accident? And some people don’t like to think of themselves as freaks. They feel more comfortable with the idea of a biofriendly universe that brings forth life as part of its grand overarching scheme. So, I think the answer to this does touch on some very, very deep issues about what we think of ourselves and how we position ourselves in nature. It does matter.
---------------------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

alter-ego

Post by alter-ego » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Guest wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
What is light?
What is gravity?
What is magnetism?
What is water?
and on and on....
Guest wrote:Again I am confused I thought those images were images of stars and planets etc?
Don't be confused here. Yes, they are those things.
Nope, not true. Those things do exist there.
I think I understand your point, but you are a bit extreme in your implication. First off, man is human :roll: Often the struggle to ask the right questions to illuminate the right mystery entails barriers within one self. In a big way, ego gets in the way of truth, and "ignorance" is maintained as you suggested. Freeing one self of these bonds to see anew is key to breaking the barriers of old knowledge. But Nature is NOT a court of law. Laws are a creation of man which, when describing the Universe, always fall short, i.e. theories evolve. Proof implies a final answer, an ultimate solution. Proof is a construct which is self consistent within a closed set of information and constraints. With regard to the Universe, proof will not be had, but approaching the truth is real and is the quest of science (albeit a bumpy road :ssmile:). APOD and this forum is on this road. As stated in other posts, the goal is not to answer the grand questions, but to discuss them and hopefully help those interested acquire new perspectives and a better understanding. I personally find real satisfaction when any questions can be answered definitively.

Last point, it is interesting that a famous set of theorems explicitly state that within the realm of natural numbers, there are observable truths that are not provable within that system, and I believe that this is a fundamental tenet of mathematically describing the Universe. I'll speculate with confidence that we will always be faced with boundaries preventing us from explaining (proving) everything.

To me, your statements reflect an arrogance preventing you from seeing the Universe as it really is. :idea: :)

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:15 pm

Ooooops!
I opened todays APOD, saw that apocalyptic picture,and read the title, missing out the 'l'.
And rememberd Arthur Clarke's "Nine Billion Names of God" (QV: http://downlode.org/Etext/nine_billion_ ... f_god.html )
I've got my breath back now.

John

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:25 pm

So if some neutron star stuff pukes out of a neutron star during some kind of cataclysmic event, under the reduced gravity the stuff pops back into "normal" matter?

I find it easy to believe, but hard to imagine anyone has any kind of handle on the rules of physics that govern that.

-Noel

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:22 am

NoelC wrote:So if some neutron star stuff pukes out of a neutron star during some kind of cataclysmic event, under the reduced gravity the stuff pops back into "normal" matter?
It was always "normal" in most respects- just under very high pressure.
I find it easy to believe, but hard to imagine anyone has any kind of handle on the rules of physics that govern that.
Actually, I think it is fairly well understood (although obviously not examined experimentally). The physics of phase states and phase changes of normal matter under a range of temperatures and pressures has been studied for a long time. The fact that the pressures in the case of a neutron star are very high doesn't really change the fundamental theory, however.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:28 am

Guest wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
What is light?
What is gravity?
What is magnetism?
What is water?
and on and on....
Again I am confused I thought those images were images of stars and planets etc?

This is the solar spectrum:

The light from the Sun consists of several colors. When the light from the Sun is divided into its various colors, dark spectral lines appear, which are caused by chemical elements in the Sun.

Guess what: the light from the stars in the night sky can be similarly divided into different colors. When the light from the stars is separated into different colors in the way that you can see in the image at right, then the light from the stars is also seen to contain dark spectral lines, just like the light from the Sun.

Guess what this proves? It proves that the stars are light sources similar to the Sun. It proves, in fact, that the stars are suns.

Isn't it amazing? Go outside the next clear and moonless night and have a look at the night sky. Those tiny lights in the sky up there are suns. Like the Sun. (Except that most stars that we can see in the night sky with the naked eye are intrinsically much brighter than the Sun.)

Isn't it amazing? Isn't it wonderful?

How big does that make the universe? That those tiny points of light are suns? And yet the stars that we can see with the naked eye are all nearby stars belonging to our own galaxy.
There are other galaxies. This is a Jason Ware image of the Andromeda galaxy, which you can see with the naked eye in the constellation Andromeda, if you are in a dark spot away from light-pollution. The Andromeda galaxy contains hundreds of billions of stars, many of them similar to the Sun. And there are many other galaxies. Modern astronomy has proven the existence of millions of other galaxies.

It's impossible for the human mind to grasp how big the universe is. Even so, astronomy has, over the centuries and through the application of science - careful and repeated observations and the use of rigorous math - gathered an absolutely amazing body of knowledge about this vastness that is all around us and that we are a tiny part of. Isn't it amazing?

You want definite answers? You want certainty? Then you should probably turn to religion, not to science.

But if you were to become very seriously ill or very severely injured, ask yourself whose help would be most likely to save your life, a doctor who has studied the science of medicine or a religious leader who can pray for you.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Color Commentator

alter-ego

Post by alter-ego » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:30 am

Ann,
It is this perspective, the one where I feel just epsiilon above nothingness that is the most important to me. The fact that I exist amongst all this begets the feeling of being most alive. The routine day-to-day living often takes this feeling away from me.

By the way, as much as science is my life, I must admit there have been times when I have wanted both a doctor and prayer.

AE

lhmsr44@gmail.com

Post by lhmsr44@gmail.com » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:39 am

This web site is a great information site for non-science truck drivers like me. Thanks for being there...Santa Lorrin :D :D

alter-ego

Post by alter-ego » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:50 am

lhmsr44@gmail.com wrote:This web site is a great information site for non-science truck drivers like me. Thanks for being there...Santa Lorrin :D :D
Now that is warmth to my soul.