APOD: Violent Sunspot Group AR 1302 ... (2011 Sep 28)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Violent Sunspot Group AR 1302 ... (2011 Sep 28)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:06 am

Image Violent Sunspot Group AR 1302 Unleashes a Flare

Explanation: One of the most active sunspot groups in years is currently crossing the Sun. AR 1302 first came around the Sun's edge last week and is so large it can be seen without a telescope. Coronal Mass Ejections from AR 1302 have already caused strong geomagnetic storms including notable aurora activity around both of Earth's poles. Pictured above, plasma was left magnetically hanging above the Sun's surface after AR 1302 emitted an X-class solar flare last Thursday. Earth is illustrated in the inset for a size comparison. Although another X-class flare was emitted on Saturday, no flares from AR 1302 have been aimed directly at the Earth, as yet. The AR 1302 sunspot group will continue to evolve but likely remain visible on the Sun for the next week.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Violent Sunspot Group AR 1302 ... (2011 Sep 28)

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:57 am

And we are not even visible dots on that little planet....

:--------======== *

cketter
Ensign

Post by cketter » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:39 am

www.spaceweather.com
Damien Vens took the picture from the beach in Koksijde, Belgium
Seagulls transit the setting sun on sept. 27
above and below sunspot AR 1302
Last edited by owlice on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed img tag to img2 tag

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:03 pm

Great picture; the scale of that sunspot and coronal ejection is quite mind boggling!

I am absolutely delighted because I have just managed to see this sunspot in reality, as it is happening on the surface of the sun, by using the ultra-careful method indicated by 'mexhunter' in his post on the Observation Deck (sorry, I'm not yet adept enough to link to it from here :( , maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to...) Thank you mexhunter, your picture inspired me to go outside in the glorious sunshine we're having today and give it a try . . . and it worked! :D

I'll be keeping my eyes on the night sky too, just on the off-chance that I might be fortunate enough to see any Aurorae from my location. That would be the icing on the cake!

nstahl
Science Officer

Post by nstahl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:13 pm

Nice pic. The link from yesterday's APOD to today's doesn't work and on yesterday's there's something about an astronomy picture of the week I was not allowed to access.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:30 pm

APOD Robot wrote: Although another X-class flare was emitted on Saturday, no flares from AR 1302 have been aimed directly at the Earth, as yet.
And I'd just as soon that they dont! :roll: :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

saturn2

Post by saturn2 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:46 am

Coronal Mass Ejections from Ar 1302 on the Sun.
The impact on the magnetic Earth is very important, incluiding auroras in the sky.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm

Great image, also showing just how small our planet is. 8-)

I am confused by the wording of the final sentence that reads "The AR 1302 sunspot group will continue to evolve but likely remain visible on the Sun for the next week." It is the use of "but" that seems odd here (at least to me). I wonder if it should be "and" not "but". :?:

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:36 pm

I think it meant that it would probably not evolve out of existence. That's how I took it, anyway.

I just looked at the sunspot with binoculars displaying the image on white paper. Very cool! It's very hard (read: impossible!) to handhold binoculars and have the image stay steady. I had to move a few times, as the power lines which grace my street were bisecting the sun initially, and then a cat knocked the foamcore the paper was mounted on over, and then the wind... well, you get the idea. Would have been easier with fewer cats, another person or two, and something steady to rest the specs on!

But I could see the sunspot! SO cool!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:45 pm

owlice wrote:I think it meant that it would probably not evolve out of existence. That's how I took it, anyway.

I just looked at the sunspot with binoculars displaying the image on white paper. Very cool! It's very hard (read: impossible!) to handhold binoculars and have the image stay steady. I had to move a few times, as the power lines which grace my street were bisecting the sun initially, and then a cat knocked the foamcore the paper was mounted on over, and then the wind... well, you get the idea. Would have been easier with fewer cats, another person or two, and something steady to rest the specs on!

But I could see the sunspot! SO cool!

Thanks owlice. Yes I see that is probably what the final sentence is meant to mean. :)

In the late 1970s (to possibly the early 1980s) I used to look at sunspots on sunny mornings (through a dark lens that was suitable to do so) and I recorded my observations as simple pencil drawings. I recall being confused though why the sunspots seemed to move down as they moved across the Sun over a few days. It took me a long while before it struck me that it was probably due to the angle of the Earth to the Sun! I would never have made a scientist! :) I haven't looked at my drawings for very many years now but I know they were accurate enough as I recall once coming across a reference to a very active period and when I looked at my drawings at that time they reflected that as the spots were very complex. It was all done just for my interest, as my simple drawings of sunspot activities will be of no interest elsewhere.