APOD: Jupiter Near Opposition (2011 Oct 22)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
jldauvergne
Ensign

Re: APOD: Jupiter Near Opposition (2011 Oct 22)

Post by jldauvergne » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:24 pm

NoelC wrote:I wonder if the pros are doing what the amateur planetary imagers have been doing - take LOTS of short photos, use software to choose the best, then average the best to reduce noise. I imagine that a well-funded highly sensitive professional grade camera would beat the pants off of the webcams amateurs use for sensitivity and resolution, and thus we see images this good from the ground. Is there more info on the process used for this image somewhere?

On another subject, what is it about the Pic du Midi site that makes one want to change careers and go work there?

-Noel
This image was made with a Basler Scount camera (it's quite classical 18fpt with an ICX 285 inside), and processed with registax 6 that give very good results on Jupiter, and photoshop/fits liberator for the color.

We should use in the next few months a more professional camera.

jldauvergne
Ensign

Post by jldauvergne » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:28 pm

The most impressive image of the run for me is this one : This one puch the limits from the ground over :)

montylc2001
Ensign

Post by montylc2001 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Mr. Colas, as per my previous post have you gentlemen thought of masking Io to get an image of a eruption plume?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:44 am

montylc2001 wrote:
Mr. Colas, as per my previous post have you gentlemen thought of masking Io to get an image of a eruption plume?
Plumes are most easily (...exclusively :?: ) seen with back-lighting.

Mr. Colas is in no position to get back-lighting on Io.
Art Neuendorffer

jldauvergne
Ensign

Post by jldauvergne » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:46 am

Yes but may be we could try with a narrow band filter, it's a little bit like lonnking for HII proeminences around the sun. We have not tried yet, but we are thinkind about it ;)

just me

Post by just me » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Can someone explain how Jupiter at opposition can be at its "almost annual closest approach to planet Earth"?
It seems more likely to me that Jupiter is closest to Earth when they are both on the same side of the sun.
J S E -> Distance is JS + SE
S E J -> Distance = SJ - SE.

(Neglecting eccentricities in orbits, which would would make things vary year to year, but on average, it still seems
opposition would be the most distant case).

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:24 pm

just me wrote:Can someone explain how Jupiter at opposition can be at its "almost annual closest approach to planet Earth"?
It seems more likely to me that Jupiter is closest to Earth when they are both on the same side of the sun.
Jupiter and Earth are on the same side of the Sun. That's what it means to be in opposition. Right now, The Sun, Earth, and Jupiter are in line, with the Earth in the middle. We see Jupiter rise at sunset, cross the meridian at midnight, and set at dawn.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

just me

Post by just me » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks, Chris,
I mis-interpreted the article's phrase "opposite the Sun in planet Earth's sky," concentrating on the "opposite the Sun" part and not really processing what he meant by "in plant Earth's sky".

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:16 pm

Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"