APOD: Solar Eclipse over Antarctica (2011 Dec 02)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Solar Eclipse over Antarctica (2011 Dec 02)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:06 am

Image Solar Eclipse over Antarctica

Explanation: Last Friday, the fourth and final partial solar eclipse of 2011 was only visible from high latitudes in the southern hemisphere. If you missed it, check out this dramatic picture of the geocentric celestial event from a very high southern latitude on the continent of Antarctica. From a camera positioned at San Martín Station (Argentina) near the antarctic peninsula mountain range, the picture looks toward the south and east. The Sun and silhouetted lunar disk are seen through thin, low clouds. Perhaps fittingly, the mountainous slope in the foreground is part of the larger Roman Four Promontory, named for its craggy, snow covered face that resembles the Roman numeral IV. For 2011, there is actually one more eclipse to go, a total eclipse of the Moon. Parts of that eclipse be visible from most of planet Earth (but not Antarctica ...) on December 10.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

ezucker
Asternaut

Re: APOD: Solar Eclipse over Antarctica (2011 Dec 02)

Post by ezucker » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:12 am

For the first time I can remember, there is a typo in today's APOD. In the title, Antarctica is misspelled as Antartica.

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:30 am

Very alien, very ethereal . . looks like a view from another world . . . cold beauty!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:18 am

ezucker wrote:
For the first time I can remember, there is a typo in today's APOD.
In the title, Antarctica is misspelled as Antartica.
  • An Anti-Oxfordian conspiracy :!:
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:29 am

APOD Robot wrote:Image Solar Eclipse over Antarctica

Explanation: Last Friday, the fourth and final partial solar eclipse of 2011 was only visible from high latitudes in the southern hemisphere. If you missed it, check out this dramatic picture of the geocentric celestial event from a very high southern latitude on the continent of Antarctica. From a camera positioned at San Martín Station (Argentina) near the antarctic peninsula mountain range, the picture looks toward the south and east.
The Sun and silhouetted lunar disk are seen through thin, low clouds.
[c]Also: seen through the edge of the Ozone Hole:[/c]

Art Neuendorffer

nikavu

Post by nikavu » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:15 pm

Confused about something in the text. It says the camera is pointing south and east. But wouldn't that have to be north? It's hard to imagine the sun being further south in the sky than the camera's position. But I haven't had my caffeine yet, so maybe I'm missing something...

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:45 pm

nikavu wrote:Confused about something in the text. It says the camera is pointing south and east. But wouldn't that have to be north? It's hard to imagine the sun being further south in the sky than the camera's position. But I haven't had my caffeine yet, so maybe I'm missing something...
Before Spring Equinox the sun never leaves the opposite hemisphere.

However, after Spring Equinox the sun rises and sets in your own hemisphere.

This is over a month after Spring Equinox in the southern hemisphere and the sun rises and sets in the South
(unless you are close enough to the South Pole that there is a "midnight sun" directly to your south).
Art Neuendorffer

flash
Ensign

Post by flash » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:58 pm

nikavu wrote:Confused about something in the text. It says the camera is pointing south and east. But wouldn't that have to be north? It's hard to imagine the sun being further south in the sky than the camera's position. But I haven't had my caffeine yet, so maybe I'm missing something...
No it's not hard to imagine. At equinox and at the south pole, the sun makes a 360 degree trip along the horizon. Now take one step north of that (in any direction), and the sun still makes a 360 degree trip at the horizon, and at some point it is directly south of you. Have some coffee! :D

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Beautiful indeed!

And clicking thru the link to Carlos Zelayeta's images, it's almost like watching a time-lapse sequence of the eclipse.
Pretty cool!

:mrgreen:
Forget the box, just get outside.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:12 pm

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/1202/Algae-helps-explains-Antarctic-ice-sheet-formation wrote: Algae helps explains Antarctic ice sheet formation

Antarctic ice sheets first began to form some 34 million years ago, during a period of sharply declining atmospheric carbon dioxide levels, a new study of ancient algae suggests.
By Charles Q. Choi, Christian Science Monitor / December 2, 2011 <<Antarctica's vast ice sheets first grew when carbon dioxide levels in the Earth's atmosphere sharply declined millions of years ago, scientists now find.

Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas — it traps heat radiating away from the Earth's surface. High levels of it in the atmosphere are linked with global warming, while low levels are linked with global cooling. Many such periods of warming and cooling have occurred in the Earth's history, with repercussions for climate around the planet. But reconstructions of what atmospheric carbon dioxide levels were like back when glaciers began to cover Antarctica nearly 34 million years ago had appeared contradictory. Some research actually suggested carbon dioxide levels rose just before and across this time, a period known as the Eocene-Oligocene climate transition, which is the opposite of what would be expected as prime glacier-growing conditions.

Now research suggests that a sharp decline of atmospheric carbon dioxide levels may have played a major role in seeding Antarctica's glaciers.

Scientists investigated alkenones — tough organic compounds only produced by certain types of algae — to find the carbon dioxide signatures of this period. These photosynthetic organisms would have used carbon dioxide that entered the water from the air, so looking at the chemical makeup of ancient deposits of alkenones can give an idea of what levels of the gas were like in the past.

Paleoclimatologist and geochemist Mark Pagani at Yale University and his team collected alkenones at six deep sea locations across the planet. They sampled spots both near and far from the poles, to get a better sense of what global atmospheric carbon dioxide levels were like during this particular period. The investigators focused on carbon isotopes within these compounds. All isotopes of an element have the same number of protons, but each has differing number of neutrons — for instance, carbon-12 has six neutrons, while carbon-13 is heavier with seven. The more carbon dioxide there is in the water — and thus air — the more often alkenones are made up of lighter carbon isotopes. This is because the enzyme that helps the algae suck in carbon dioxide prefers such isotopes, and the more of the gas there is overall, the more chances this enzyme has to absorb the carbon it likes.

By looking at carbon isotope ratios within the alkenones, the researchers found that carbon dioxide apparently decreased in the atmosphere just prior to and during the onset of glaciations in Antarctica. The contradictory alkenone findings published previously — ones from Pagani and his colleagues — likely came from locales with high levels of carbon dioxide that did not reflect what global levels overall were like, Pagani said.

"The research supports a clear correspondence between carbon dioxide and climate change," Pagani told OurAmazingPlanet. "This is not a great surprise to those of us who study the history of Earth's climate, but given the politicization of science these days, connecting the dots between carbon dioxide and climate is increasingly important. The geologic record is just waiting to reveal the nature of climate sensitivity to carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases," Pagani added. "Further carbon dioxide investigations of very warm periods in Earth history and better constraints on global temperatures through time will keep me busy." The scientists detailed their findings in the Dec. 2 issue of the journal Science.>>
Art Neuendorffer

islader2

Post by islader2 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:08 am

@ EZUCKER You are too kind==on your first post you notice misspelled words? Try the grammar: FUGGEDDABOUTIT. :o :o

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:14 am

islader2, the editors appreciate knowing when there are typos.

ezucker, thanks for your post. As soon as I read it, I emailed the author, who (you have no doubt noticed by now!) fixed the spelling.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 pm

http://www.universetoday.com/ wrote: Astrophoto: Aurora Australis by Patrick Cullis
by Dianne Castaneda on December 3, 2011

<<Patrick Cullis captured this amazing picture of the Aurora Australis from Antarctica. The constellation Scorpius and the Milky Way can also be seen “extended vertically through a clear pocket in the aurora, while Jupiter shines brightly through the green glow on the right.” A Scott tent is also visible at the foreground. Aurora Australis is the southern counterpart to the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis. It happens as a result of the interaction between energetic particles – mostly electrons – in the solar wind and the atoms and molecules in the Earth’s upper atmosphere, mediated by the Earth’s magnetic field. It can be seen in countries far south like Antarctica, South America, New Zealand and Australia.>>
Art Neuendorffer

wingnut

Post by wingnut » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:27 pm

neufer wrote:
http://www.universetoday.com/ wrote: Astrophoto: Aurora Australis by Patrick Cullis
by Dianne Castaneda on December 3, 2011

<<Patrick Cullis captured this amazing picture of the Aurora Australis from Antarctica. The constellation Scorpius and the Milky Way can also be seen “extended vertically through a clear pocket in the aurora, while Jupiter shines brightly through the green glow on the right.” A Scott tent is also visible at the foreground. Aurora Australis is the southern counterpart to the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis. It happens as a result of the interaction between energetic particles – mostly electrons – in the solar wind and the atoms and molecules in the Earth’s upper atmosphere, mediated by the Earth’s magnetic field. It can be seen in countries far south like Antarctica, South America, New Zealand and Australia.>>
Neufer (and especially Patrick Cullis) what a great picture! Thanks! I think it should be an APOD someday.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:00 pm

What a cool picture. A possible title might be--->It came from beneath the earth.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:28 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:47 pm

owlice wrote:
And the bartender says, "We don't serve your kind here."

A neutrino walks into a bar.
An "A", a "D" and an "F" walk into a bar.

And the bartender says, "We don't serve minors here."
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:51 pm

neufer wrote:
owlice wrote:
And the bartender says, "We don't serve your kind here."

A neutrino walks into a bar.
An "A", a "D" and an "F" walk into a bar.

And the bartender says, "We don't serve minors here."
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 03#p117603

:ssmile:

neptunium

Post by neptunium » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:15 am

owlice wrote:And the bartender says, "We don't serve your kind here."
A neutrino walks into the bar.
I don't get it. :?:

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:29 am

neptunium wrote:
owlice wrote:And the bartender says, "We don't serve your kind here."
A neutrino walks into the bar.
I don't get it. :?:
Think about a controversial experiment recently in the news, and about the relationship between the speed of light and causality.

It will come to you.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neptunium

Post by neptunium » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:50 am

Ooohh! I get it now! :D
And congratrulations on getting 5000, Chris!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:54 am

neptunium wrote:And congratrulations on getting 5000, Chris!
Criminy, I've got to get a life... <g>
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:41 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
neptunium wrote:And congratrulations on getting 5000, Chris!
Criminy, I've got to get a life... <g>
Fo' shizzle!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:36 am

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to see much of the lunar eclipse. Oh, well. There's always next time. :(
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.