APOD: Trees, Stars, Aurora (2012 Feb 09)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Trees, Stars, Aurora (2012 Feb 09)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:06 am

Image Trees, Stars, Aurora

Explanation: Have you ever seen an aurora? Auroras are occurring again with increasing frequency. With the Sun being unusually dormant over the past four years, the amount of Sun-induced auroras has been unusually low. More recently, however, our Sun has become increasingly active and exhibiting a greater abundance of sunspots, flares, and coronal mass ejections. Solar activity like this typically expels charged particles into the Solar System, some of which may trigger Earthly auroras. Two weeks ago, beyond trees and before stars, a solar storm precipitated the above timelapse displays of picturesque auroras above Ravnastua, Skoganvarre and Lakselv, Norway. Curtains of auroral light, typically green, flow, shimmer and dance as energetic particles fall toward the Earth and excite air molecules high up in the Earth's atmosphere. With solar maximum still in the future, there may be even better opportunities to see spectacular auroras personally over the next few years.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: APOD: Trees, Stars, Aurora (2012 Feb 09)

Post by geckzilla » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:23 am

Impressive auroras. Wish I was there, though I'm glad to be at home and warm in a blanket at the same time. I also liked both of the songs.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:13 am

Beautiful ribbons of light in the sky!

I would love to see displays like these. Fingers crossed and eyes to the north, hopefully there might be a chance to see something sometime over the next year or two.

Uwe

Post by Uwe » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:50 am

Sorry, I'm not able to see the video. (Germany, 02.09.,11:47 am)

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:50 am

This video is fantastic! (And you're right, geckzilla - it does look cold! Beautiful, but cold!)
I've seen the northern lights, but it was so many years ago it's almost like not seeing them at all. Here's hoping with the approach of solar maximum, I may get to see them again!

Awesome AVOD!

:mrgreen:
Forget the box, just get outside.

laura

Post by laura » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:50 pm

very beautifull

Psnarf
Science Officer

Post by Psnarf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:58 pm

The first time I witnessed the waving green curtains, it was the silence that added to the awe. Know I know those curtains cannot make any noise because of the density of air molecules at that altitude, but looking up, with no light pollution, the silent green curtains waving in the sky is something that I still recall fifty years later.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Vimeo is awesome! 8-) :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

jds14

Post by jds14 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:40 pm

This video is amazing. If it wasn't time lapsed, it would be so much less interesting. But when you speed these up the effect is amazing!
At time = 3:26 there is a red flash. Is that something related to tha Aurora that the camera captured? I tried a few times to pause at that moment, and eventually I caught it. Anyone else notice that?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:50 pm

jds14 wrote:At time = 3:26 there is a red flash. Is that something related to tha Aurora that the camera captured? I tried a few times to pause at that moment, and eventually I caught it. Anyone else notice that?
There's some people walking around over there with flash lights. Probably just someone pointing one at the camera as it was taking photos.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Uwe wrote:Sorry, I'm not able to see the video. (Germany, 02.09.,11:47 am)
For those who can't see the VIMEO version,
Here is the youtube version
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Phoenician1
Asternaut

Post by Phoenician1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Okay, I'm finally in. After many years of happily using APOD as my homepage, I'm finally registered. And my question, which pertains to today's beautiful video, is this; while I have always wanted to see an Aurora, living as I do in Phoenix, AZ, my chances are small. And this video, like all the others I have enjoyed over the years, is a time-lapse. Can a member of the community recommend an online video of an aurora which isn't time-compressed, so I can get a better idea of what one actually looks like in real-time? Right now, the only real-time (or close to real-time) representation of an aurora that I have access to is, sadly, in the video game "Skyrim". Pity me.

Oh, and I have a request. As I registered, I noticed there are a number of different time-zones and variants listed--but not one for Arizona. I realize that whole "no DST" thing complicates things. But can we maybe get a little time-zone love, too?

Thanks!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Phoenician1 wrote:Oh, and I have a request. As I registered, I noticed there are a number of different time-zones and variants listed--but not one for Arizona. I realize that whole "no DST" thing complicates things. But can we maybe get a little time-zone love, too?

Thanks!
Arizona is in Mountain Standard Time (UTC - 5)

saturn2

Post by saturn2 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:09 pm

Auroras, Auroras
Beautiful Auroras
The green light seems to dance in the sky,
mimicking multiple and unexpected shapes.

Phoenician1
Asternaut

Post by Phoenician1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:47 am

geckzilla wrote:Arizona is in Mountain Standard Time (UTC - 5)
Sure, now. But at 2 AM on Sunday, March 11th, Arizona moves to Pacific Daylight Time for almost 8 months, and we'll be UTC-6. Or rather, at 2 am you all shift an hour to the right (from our perspective).
And to think that I once believed not observing Daylight Savings Time would make my life simpler. *chortle*

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:53 am

Phoenician1 wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Arizona is in Mountain Standard Time (UTC - 5)
Sure, now. But at 2 AM on Sunday, March 11th, Arizona moves to Pacific Daylight Time for almost 8 months, and we'll be UTC-6. Or rather, at 2 am you all shift an hour to the right (from our perspective).
And to think that I once believed not observing Daylight Savings Time would make my life simpler. *chortle*
That's why there's a checkbox for whether or not DST is in effect. Everyone has to set it manually. A remote server simply has no way of knowing for sure whether you are in one of those places which observes DST or not after you've set your initial time zone. All time is kept in its own local time, of course. Any adjusted times are just a superficial convenience for you.

Phoenician1
Asternaut

Post by Phoenician1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:52 am

Well. I must've overlooked that detail on the Reg screens. My bad. Thanks for pointing that out, and for reminding me what time zone my state is in. You've made me feel all warm n' welcomed now.

rlongene@mdc.edu

Post by rlongene@mdc.edu » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Mon. 2/13, 9 a.m. - vimeo not operative on APOD version, hangs on 'pause' symbol. Local IT gurus say problem at source. Advice? (Magnificent stuff!!).

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:09 pm

The Vimeo works for me. In any case, the source is the vimeo website; the APOD hotlinks to it.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.