APOD assessment poll #3

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

Viewing APOD has made me more interested in science.

Poll ended at Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:35 pm

Strongly disagree
6%
Disagree
1%
Neither agree nor disagree
4%
Agree
26%
Strongly agree
63%

Total votes: 2050

RJN
Baffled Boffin

APOD assessment poll #3

Post by RJN » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:35 pm

Thank you very much for your interest in Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). We very much appreciate the time you have given us viewing our images and reading the explanations; your dedication drives us to keep doing the site. APOD will likely be asking other questions in the near future; your responses will help us better understand viewers like you, and will allow us to improve what we do for you.

Please select the option that best reflects your opinion on the poll statement listed. Please leave any comments you may have on this topic below.

Thank you!

I don't have one

Re: APOD assessment poll #3

Post by I don't have one » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:20 am

I've been "surfing the web" since the time when there was 1 DNS someplace in Europe - 1984 maybe (and, yes, in fact, BETA was a better technology ;)...Two sites have stuck with me up to this point and represent, IMO, what the internet is all about - Wordsmith.org (AWAD) http://wordsmith.org/words/today.html and Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).

Both these sites make me realize that there is a lot more "out there" than the bits and pieces I think I know.

It keeps you humble.

wbd
Ensign

Post by wbd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:41 am

More interested in science in general - possibly not.
But more interested in astronomy specifically - without a doubt!
Keep up the good work.

keerthi2kiran
Asternaut

Post by keerthi2kiran » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:42 am

APOD was the first website I ever visited (back in 1997). Back then, the address of the site was http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ and I had memorized the whole name :)
Today, it is the first website I visit everyday. There has not been a single day that I have not liked the APOD. You guys are doing a fantastic job.

Regards,
Keerthi

JoeyZola

Post by JoeyZola » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:44 am

An oddly difficult question. I have always had a great interest in Science. APOD hasn't increased that, but rather fed my hunger. Even so, I understand the spirit of the question and that would require a different answer. APOD has been one of my favourites since the earliest days, along with spaceweather.com, STScI (Hubblesite) and a few other prime science sites. Nothing beats being able to LOOK at something in order to increase your understanding of it.

Daily APOD visitor

Post by Daily APOD visitor » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:26 am

Beyond taking in the awesome photos posted each day, one of my favorite things about APOD is sharing it with my friends that don't care too much about science.

With that said, I do wish that there was a "dumbed down" version of the text - no one ever reads it because they get confused and I end up having to summarize everything for them separately.

adrianxw
Ensign

Post by adrianxw » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:29 am

Has been my "home" page for more than a decade.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

Another daily viewer

Post by Another daily viewer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:50 am

Another daily viewer since I have been on the net. I doubt it increased my interest in the sciences but certainly has maintained my interest in astronomy.
A great site and please keep up the excellent and informative site.

Ian G.

timespinner

Post by timespinner » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:20 am

JoeyZola wrote:An oddly difficult question. I have always had a great interest in Science. APOD hasn't increased that, but rather fed my hunger. Even so, I understand the spirit of the question and that would require a different answer. APOD has been one of my favourites since the earliest days, along with spaceweather.com, STScI (Hubblesite) and a few other prime science sites. Nothing beats being able to LOOK at something in order to increase your understanding of it.

Uwe

Post by Uwe » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:03 am

Been a daily visitor for at least ten years. I've always been interested in science and especially in astronomy, so no need for APOD to increase that :) , but by presenting a new subject each day and sometimes breathtaking pictures and vids APOD is quite a "sight", as well as it provides "insight"s. Thanks for that and keep up the good work! *thumbsup*

Derrick Watt

Post by Derrick Watt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:16 am

APOD is a flexible site able to disseminate wide ranging material connected with astronomy and cosmology
and develop new and interesting ideas not easily found elsewhere.

@star

Post by @star » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:45 am

It does increase interest in astronomy. Its the first website I visit everyday.. Its too good

Higgs

Post by Higgs » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:51 am

Hello:

For me it's just the reverse!
As a physicist I was of course interested in astronomy.And for exact 40 years I give lessons in a small obeservatory near Antwerp ( in Hove, exactly), and I also give lectures in the Antwerp Planetarium that belongs to the Antwerp Zoo.

So, it's by being less or more an (amateur!!) astronomer, that I became interested in APOD.

In any case: your pictures are marvllous.
( and by the way: sory for evntual mistakes in English )

Herman F.
Borgerhout / Antwerp

Rubaduk

Post by Rubaduk » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:23 am

This site is a DAILY MUST.
It not only increases our knowledge, but puts us firmly in our place - a minute scrap of life.
As a one time ships navigator, armed with only a sextant and chronometer, how I wish I knew then what I am still learning now.

Alee

Post by Alee » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:28 am

As a child i tried to buy everythig related with astronomy, now i'm older i found this site by chance, and from then keeps my hunger for science and astronomy at bay! you shoud know that every day this site fills the spirit of every visitor with knowledge and the mysteries of the universe, that's invaluable. :ssmile:

biker9999

Post by biker9999 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:38 am

This is a great site and a number of people have seen me looking at it and expressed interest in finding out more, so I think it works well in creating interest in science and astronomy. Thanks for all the work you do on both the pictures and (mostly) understandable explanantions

Annie B.

Post by Annie B. » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:15 am

I Love this site..umm..sight! It's educational..illuminating..Inspiring..Like witnessing the 'artwork of the Gods'..I say Gods..plural..because Surely 1 Being couldn't have been So prolific! It's 1 of the few Projects that if Gov't money is used..I think is Money well-spent.. I feel Enlarged when I look @ some of these photos..less claustrophobic..less 'closed-in' by my Own little life..It gives me 'perspective'..some Sense of the Vastness of the time/space thing..the Distance beyond..and the eons of Time behind all of it..Also not bad for inspiring poetic phrase or two..Thank you Apod.. :owl: U Wise old birds..xxO..Annie..

JohnDoc

Post by JohnDoc » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:23 am

NASA photo of the day is one of my favourite websites, please keep it going . JohnDoc.

smitty
Science Officer

Post by smitty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:43 am

JoeyZola wrote:An oddly difficult question. I have always had a great interest in Science. APOD hasn't increased that, but rather fed my hunger. Even so, I understand the spirit of the question and that would require a different answer. APOD has been one of my favourites since the earliest days, along with spaceweather.com, STScI (Hubblesite) and a few other prime science sites. Nothing beats being able to LOOK at something in order to increase your understanding of it.
Amen! A beautifully crafted comment! To which I'll happily add my "ditto"!

findlpmac
Asternaut

Post by findlpmac » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:49 am

Without doubt APOD is a must-see site each and every day. It is sites like APOD and the work of people such as Prof Nemiroff and Prof Brian Cox here in the UK that have raised my awareness and interest in matters scientific. I've got a couple of friends visiting APOD daily now so the word is spreading ! Thanks for all you do.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:49 am

Daily APOD visitor wrote:Beyond taking in the awesome photos posted each day, one of my favorite things about APOD is sharing it with my friends that don't care too much about science.

With that said, I do wish that there was a "dumbed down" version of the text - no one ever reads it because they get confused and I end up having to summarize everything for them separately.

Maybe this will help with your 'dumbing down':

http://thesaurus.com/?__utma=1.81318908 ... SAURUS.COM

otherwise, I'm :?

tomenajijic

Post by tomenajijic » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:05 pm

I agree with the many well phrased reply's above. The 'blue highlighted words' are especially appreciated for expanding my interest in astronomy. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 pm

Daily APOD visitor wrote: . . . I do wish that there was a "dumbed down" version of the text - no one ever reads it because they get confused and I end up having to summarize everything for them separately.
It is already greatly simplified.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bgooby

Post by bgooby » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:18 pm

This poll really begs the question -- which came first, the chicken or the egg? I was interested in science to begin with, especially astronomy, and that's why (and how) I found APOD. However, the information that come with the pictures, the links, and the mini-seminars actually help me find out more about astronomy, which is GREAT!

stevereeves

Post by stevereeves » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 pm

APOD has been the first website i visit each day for 16 years.