APOD assessment poll #3

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

Viewing APOD has made me more interested in science.

Poll ended at Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:35 pm

Strongly disagree
6%
Disagree
1%
Neither agree nor disagree
4%
Agree
26%
Strongly agree
63%

Total votes: 2050

Re: APOD assessment poll #3

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:36 pm

OOPS. Is there a way to change my vote? I meant to say "Strongly Agree", which I assumed would be at the top of the list, and I absent-mindedly voted Strongly Disagree. I apologize for skewing the results.

Not only does APOD increase my interest in science and astronomy; it helps me spread that intrest to others. When people ask me what that picutre on my computer wallpaper is, I get to talk about an interesting galaxy or nebula or such. When people ask if I have any plans this weekend, I get to tell them about the meteor shower or Venus transit I'll be watching, and encourage them to see it. When there's an eclipse coming, I can take my kids outside at the right time, watch it, and discuss it.

Thanks, and PLEASE keep it up!

dbello20

Post by dbello20 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:48 pm

APOD is my start up page, on every browser, and has been for many years. The only fair response I could give is that I agree that APOD has made me more interested, but to be fair, it's like going from a 9.9/10 to a 10/10. It does, however, amaze me every day and allows me to share my amazement with my son and friends.

webrru

Post by webrru » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:59 pm

As I find increasingly common, the question is wrong.
My interest in science brought me to APOD.
However, I always show the most engaging pictures to my children in hopes of increasing their interest in science.
For at least ten years, my desktop has been a progression of APOD images.
As for the text, there should be three versions: regular, smarted up, and ignoranted down (NOT DUMBED - the dumb won't get it anyway, but the ignorant only need a little education).

This is always one of the first sites I check in the morning, preceded by a couple of geology sites (to see what's shaking), and by some weather sites (to see what's in the wind), and then I check APOD (to see what's up).

The universe is bigger than the imagination.

fmoell

Post by fmoell » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:31 pm

APOD does not increase my interest in science, it is there since before there was an internet. APOD gives me that elusive "sense of wonder" and yes, i check it first thing every day.
/Fredrik

Kathy T.

Post by Kathy T. » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:42 pm

APOD is my daily dose of astronomy. It takes my mind off the usual boring minutiae of ordinary life here on the earth and sends me to heavenly realms. Since I no longer live in a place where star-gazing is possible, the pictures give me wonderful glimpses of the universe, especially the galaxies. I cannot say that APOD spurs me on to a greater interest in science because the interest is already there, but it does confirm and support my interest. Three Cheers for APOD.

guest31

Post by guest31 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:57 pm

I have to agree with some replies here. Carl Sagan increased my interest in science. The HiRISE camera on MRO has increased my interest in geology. I don't see a real causality with APOD, though I check it constantly. I think my interest in science is what brought me here and keeps me coming back. As always, a great site, and informative of current events and observation opportunities.

P.S. Let's hope NASA finds funding for those two 2.4-meter NRO telescopes.

chchrist007

Post by chchrist007 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:00 pm

I don't know that APOD has actually "increased" my interest in science. I am not into the technical and mathematical aspects of science, which is strictly a matter of my aptitude, rather than one of interest. What APOD has done for me is give me new perspective on cosmology and philosophy. The pictures give a clue, and only a clue, into the origin of our universe. However, they have given me much more of an understanding of the mechanics of the universe, i.e., the births and deaths of stars, planets, etc. My preferred learning style is that of seeing, feeling, touching, etc. The pictures on APOD come as close to giving me that as anything can.

Hyrowlor

Post by Hyrowlor » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Apod and e-mail are two items I look for everyday. It not only increased my interest in science it increased my appreciation for instruments like the Hubble Telescope.

brian grafton

Post by brian grafton » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:47 pm

You've asked too broad a question, IMHO. APOD tweaks and perhaps heightens one's interest in the cosmos, but not of science in general. APOD is wonderful at what it does; I have been visiting it daily for almost 15 years with pleasure, since it provides a daily "injection" feeding my awe of and fascination with the heavens. To expect APOD photos/explanations to impact on my general interest in science is, IMHO, asking too much.

MrDiver

Post by MrDiver » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:49 pm

All of my work and personal computers open with APOD. It's simply stunning to start the day with views of distant galaxies to the surface of Mars, views of the universe that previous generations could only dream about. The constant stream of amazing information helps me to visualize the advancement of our civilization through a better understanding gained from scientific observations.

GAM

Post by GAM » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm very sorry, but I skewed your histogram by answering incorrectly without looking carefully enough. I expected "strongly agree" to be the first item & I checked it without looking very carefully. I'm sorry about that. So subtract one "strongly disagree" vote and add one "Strongly agree" vote.

I have always been fascinated about science and I obtained a degree in biophysics for my professional work. Yet, if possible, APOD has increased wonder about the Universe and sometimes it makes me think I should have been a professional astronomer.

I consider APOD to be an indespensible site and it is one of the very few that I check out EVERY day. Thank you for your excellent work. It cannot be a trivial matter to update this site every day with something fresh and compelling (Even though astronomy lends itself to the fresh and compelling).

meteormaiden

Post by meteormaiden » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:59 pm

adrianxw wrote:Has been my "home" page for more than a decade.

Ray in Calgary

Post by Ray in Calgary » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:04 pm

APOD is the first website that I visit each day for about the last 10 years. It is very interesting. Thank you.

JLane1

Post by JLane1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:07 pm

APOD is an indispensable part of my day! I can't remember the first time I came, only that I never stopped coming back. It has increased my thirst for knowledge and science in particular in two ways - it constantly brings up things I didn't know, and it often sends me off on link-quests to find out more about something related to the POD; I've been known to spend hours just clicking and chasing down links, and understanding, and sharing with others, all because of an APOD. I've even collected a huge folder of the more interesting (IMHO) pictures just to share with my grandchildren. I can't think of a way to improve it, I can't think of my life without access to it, and I don't want to think of anything that would keep me from it!

All in all, APOD is one of my Top 5 sites anywhere on the Web. Every single day.

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:25 pm

APOD has become a habit with my family. Because of it son #1 is 2 years away from a degree in Astronomy. As it relates to science, well, you could say APOD has increased my willingness to dive into general science subjects more readily. Thanks APOD ! :D :D !

nlgoodman

Post by nlgoodman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:40 pm

I voted Disagree, because I'm already interested in science, or else I wouldn't have this on my toolbar for a daily viewing. 8-) Keep up the great site!

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:08 pm

I love this site. It is the first thing i open up in the morning--I begin with the sublime. Thanks. I wish there were more information.

Starkeeper

Post by Starkeeper » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:24 pm

I visit and share with others this wonderful website daily and have for several years. Thank you for the wonderful pictures and explanations.

rjgjr

Post by rjgjr » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:27 pm

APOD is a wonderful way to start each day. Great with coffee and a bagel !

lrn

Post by lrn » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:42 pm

I have been with APOD since its inception. It is my home page on every computer I use (and my smart phone). In addition, I have turned many people on to the site, and everyone who has been introduced to APOD has LOVED it. I am an amateur astronomer, and the site allows me to learn all kinds of new things; even outside of the realm of astronomy. Best site on the web as far as I am concerned.

ThePiper
Ensign

Post by ThePiper » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:50 pm

It would be interesting to see some statistics about the use of APOD. I'm sure, the whole world connects daily to APOD. People are curious and fascinated about the wonders of the universe and APOD is a great mediator.

You should have ~8 bln access per day, isn't it? :shock:
The worst scientific finding of mankind: "Everything points to eternal darkness being the ultimate fate of the Universe. Sorry about that." (cit. Chris L Peterson, APOD)

clusterchuck

Post by clusterchuck » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:00 pm

All the "strongly disagrees" are tea party trolls.

Keep up the inspirational work. People like me are just smart enough to follow along, though perhaps not smart enough to
get passing grades in astrophysics. It calibrates my world when experts give me the basics on a regular basis - hope it doesn't
take up too much of your professional time. There are many of us out here who REALLY need sites like this. I never made fun of
nerds in school - honest !

Lt Dan

Post by Lt Dan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:15 pm

What would be more interesting is knowing why we all thought APOD made us more or less interested in science.

Sophia Tortilla

Post by Sophia Tortilla » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:27 pm

:lol2: I have shared APOD with as many people I care about as possible :) . I don't understand everything, but I keep an open mind

sofia tortilla

Post by sofia tortilla » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:29 pm

"Everything in the universe is within you. Ask all from yourself. -- Rumi"