APOD: Venus Transits the Midnight Sun (2012 Jun 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Re: APOD: Venus Transits the Midnight Sun (2012 Jun 20)

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Perk Cartel wrote: ... In the State of Victoria in the south eastern part of Australia, the indigenous folk recognise six seasons ( no so called "autumn" or "fall" perhaps because indigenous vegetation here is non-deciduous. There's more here: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~herring/seasons.htm
Wow, straight from late summer to early winter. I would miss autumn, the light is so lovely ... .
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

astro-newbie

Post by astro-newbie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm a bit confused. The desription says,

"The remarkable scene looks north over the Norwegian Sea from Sortland, Norway."

Despite the fact that the sun is at its northernmost point seen in the sky, wouldn't it still be toward the SOUTH as viewed in Norway? Isn't this a picture of the SOUTHERN horizon around midnight?

Thanks.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:02 pm

astro-newbie wrote:I'm a bit confused. The desription says,

"The remarkable scene looks north over the Norwegian Sea from Sortland, Norway."

Despite the fact that the sun is at its northernmost point seen in the sky, wouldn't it still be toward the SOUTH as viewed in Norway? Isn't this a picture of the SOUTHERN horizon around midnight?.
On the summer solstice, above the Arctic Circle, the Sun reaches its highest point in the southern sky at noon. It is above the horizon all day, and at midnight is due north. In Sortland, on June 20, the Sun reached an altitude of about 45° above the southern horizon as it crossed the meridian at noon, and was just above the northern horizon as it crossed the meridian at midnight.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

ddale51
Ensign

Post by ddale51 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Boy, am I confused. Apparently the position and direction of travel of Venus as it crosses the sun varies hugely depending on the location of the observer on Earth. This photo shows Venus traveling across the sun's face in a horizontal position from roughly 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock. But from where I watched the transit--about 38 degrees latitude in the US--Venus began its transit at about the 1:00 position and was traveling "downward" toward the 5:00 position. That's about a 90 degree tangent from this photo! I just can't the visualize how these varying perspectives are possible. Is there a diagram somewhere that can explain this to this confused soul?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:57 pm

ddale51 wrote:Boy, am I confused. Apparently the position and direction of travel of Venus as it crosses the sun varies hugely depending on the location of the observer on Earth. This photo shows Venus traveling across the sun's face in a horizontal position from roughly 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock. But from where I watched the transit--about 38 degrees latitude in the US--Venus began its transit at about the 1:00 position and was traveling "downward" toward the 5:00 position. That's about a 90 degree tangent from this photo! I just can't the visualize how these varying perspectives are possible. Is there a diagram somewhere that can explain this to this confused soul?
path_strip.jpg
Venus traveled from east to west across the northern part of the Sun. The Sun is only tipped about 7° from the ecliptic, and Venus is only inclined a few degrees from it. So it makes sense that in the far north, when the Sun is moving parallel to the horizon, that the ecliptic, and therefore the apparent motion of Venus will be parallel to the horizon as well, with the north pole of the Sun pointing upwards.

The relationship between the direction of Venus's path and the local horizon depends entirely on the latitude of the observer. Like the Moon and other astronomical objects, apparent orientation in the sky varies widely with your location.

Everybody on Earth saw this event just as the chart shows, except they saw the Sun's north pole pointing is some different direction with respect to the horizon.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

ddale51
Ensign

Post by ddale51 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:40 am

Thanks Chris! I understand now. Your explanation was clear and helpful.