Which satellite is this?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

Which satellite is this?

Post by RJN » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:48 pm

A series of images from HL and MK on 2004 December 17 show an unusual bright object moving across the sky that must be some sort of of satellite. Oddly it might be quite high since there is NOT a lot of parallax between the two sites! The images follow. Since it was seen by both HL and MK, its height should be computable. Could someone search http://heavens-above.com/ to see what this is? Why hasn't the NSL network seen it before?

Here is the view from Haleakala (HL):
And it goes on for several more frames.

Here is the view from Mauna Kea (MK):

- RJN

lior
Science Officer

Post by lior » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:24 am

I checked Heavens-Above and it seems that this objects is not HST or ISS. Such a long Iridium flare was not expected at that night.

A convincing twilight-zone-like story would be the following:
The object is clearly seen at MK/HL moving from west to east. MW and KP turned off exactly when the object showed up so no records of that object were made. CI was covered with moisture for the whole night. However, WO was up and recorded an object making its way from west to east just three hours after it was seen at MK and HL.

The object can be seen in this picture just under perseus.

Few hours later, a bright meteor was reported to be crossing the sky above Jakarta:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4108697.stm

However, it is most likely that the object seen at Wise is a moon artifact (I have seen such before), and the meteor seen in Jakarta has nothing to do with the satelite seen at MK/HL.

A less exotic option is that the object is a french spy satellite that was launched from south america that day.
http://www.news24.com/News24/AnanziArti ... 44,00.html

However, the reported time when the satellite was launched is about two hours after the object was seen.

[/url]

Post by guest » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:46 am

What is truly bizarre is that this object is visible for a good 55 minutes at Haleakala and close to 30 minutes at Mauna Kea.

Usually, satellites take a few dozen seconds or, at the most, a couple of minutes to cross the entire sky.

If this object is a satellite, it is either very slow moving or at a very high altitude.
I checked all the possibilities at Heavens-Above and no satellite passes seem to fit this observation.
It is also impossible to be a meteorite.

?!?!?!

sarch

Emoticon Fury
Ensign

Post by Emoticon Fury » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:58 pm

Maybe a piece of space junk just happened to be rotating at the right speed and caught the sun just right?

tilvi
Ensign

Is it the asteroid in the above images?

Post by tilvi » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:06 pm

A recent release from space.com that a "Small Asteroid Passes Between Satellites and Earth "
http://space.com/scienceastronomy/aster ... 41222.html
Tilvi
Michigan Tech. University, MI.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:13 pm

Tilvi,

Interesting! But that space.com article says that closest approach was December 19, and the above images were on December 17. Now I wonder how bright the December 19th object was -- is it visible on any NSL images?

- RJN

Ice-man-jamie
Asternaut

Post by Ice-man-jamie » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:08 am

I watched the movie from HL for the 17th and it shows it for a long time. You can follow it all the way to the horizon. and the funny thing is it is fuzzy.....

Also at MK they have it marked with yellow blocks. why is that?

llaveder
Asternaut

Post by llaveder » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:18 pm

Hi, I'm new in this forum. I'm the french translator of APOD and I saw a link to this forum in the next Tuesday picture.
I would like to have some more informations:
- How many time it has taken to the object to go from an horizon to the other? In the APOD animation, the object is visible from 14:19 to 14:39 and covers only about 1/3 of the sky! It's very slow for a satellite, except for a high orbit one. But high orbite satellite are generally dim.
- At what time does the Sun set on mid-december in Hawaii (please, could you answer me in UT?). I would like to estimate the elevation of the Sun under the horizon. In the animation, the object seems to appear slowly, as it get out of the Earth'shadow. With the exact time of this apparition, it could be possible to estimate the altitude of the object.
- What's the distance between HL and MK?
- Notice: it couldn't be "Wonder Woman" with her aeroplane going to her secret Island (may be near Hawaii) because her plane is transparent (made with a very good multicoated material I think...), and despite her golden clothes, she doesn't have the good albedo. May be she's dead since the time of the TV series. :(

I think this object could be a meteorologic balloon (stratospheric) wich is relatively slow and, with its huge surface made with a high albedo material, can be very bright.

What do you think about my hypothesis?

I've just made a quick search and discovered that such a ballon was launch on december 16th (http://www.interactions.org/cms/?pid=1016963). But unfortunatly for my hypothesis, it was launched from Antarctica and made some revolution around the South Pole.

I hope my English is good enough to have been well understood :?
Laurent Laveder, Made in France
http://www.pixheaven.net

crosscountry
Ensign

Post by crosscountry » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:30 pm

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Sneak Preview

Post by RJN » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:46 pm

The APOD in question that is still being composed is here:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050208.html

This APOD might be updated and even switched to a different date. But in case any Asteriskians (better than Asteroids?) want to check it out and get in some early thoughts, please do.

Have at it!

- RJN
Last edited by RJN on Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helen
Ensign

Post by Helen » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:08 pm

As I've no access to past observations I don't know if the trail in the pictures - shown by both observatories with little parallax - is typical for a satellite, but if it is, wouldn't its height be computable as originally noted by RJN? A very high altitude would account for the transit time but - again subject to comparison with known such past traces - not for the luminosity.

Separately, isn't NORAD supposed to be informed of such objects? Some time ago there was a scramble with both US and Russian nuclear defenses over an unidentified object in the skies over Greenland until it turned out to be a balloon launched by a metereological station in Denmark. Couldn't you call and ask before posting it as an APOD - and this said, may I congratulate you on the site!

Helen
Ensign

Post by Helen » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:23 pm

Llaveder may have a solution to the Asteriskians (?) term, if my recollection of a French cartoon character named Asterix is correct. Is Asterixes the plural - assuming that a proper noun has a plural to begin with?

llaveder
Asternaut

Post by llaveder » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:50 am

Indeed, Astérix is a cartoon character from a cartoon named "Astérix", see http://www.asterix.tm.fr
But, in french, a proper noun doesn't have any plural.
Astérix comes from the world Astérisque, which comes from the greek "Asterisk" meaning "Little star". So Astérix is a French Star like Keanu Reeves or Georges Clooney in US! :D In the cartoon Astérix, all the french (called the Gaulois in Middle Ages) characters have name finishing with "ix" and are puns.
Laurent Laveder, Made in France
http://www.pixheaven.net

geon

Post by geon » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:15 am

It's a secret military satellite.

Ben

APOD Feb 8th 2005 Haleakala NSL animation

Post by Ben » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:56 am

If the APOD animation is a good indication, the object appears to have slowed down rapidly. It starts off as a thin streak and appears to be coming closer as it's aspect increases, and it suddenly seems to slow down. What do you think?

Old Janx Spirit

Streak in the Sky

Post by Old Janx Spirit » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:06 am

Has anyone checked the luminosity index of the object? If it's as or nearly as bright as the sun then we have an extremely reflective object. If it were a nearly frictionless surface it might reflect more brightly.

It seems to be at agreat distance from Earth since the length of the streak (recorded over the same length of time one presumes) is much longer and clearer when overhead than when aproaching the horizon where it progressively gets smaller and more diffused. This may indicate a forshortening from our perspective, but would also indicate it's great distance from us. The gradual increase in 'fuzziness' could be explained by the 'piling' on top of one another of the light rays. It may also indicate the length of the object as well (function of time, luminosity & length). It may also indicate a curved surface.

What do you think?

Zig

Object above Hawaii

Post by Zig » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:51 am

The APOD object reminds of something I saw in the middle of night when I was a child sleeping out under the stars. It took me almost 25 years to figure out was it was. Actually there were 2 warm orange objects each the apparent size of the full moon traveling about the speed of a satillite from the northeast to the southwest, but in 1962 I had not yet seen a satillite pass overhead. The second object appeared about a minute after the first one disappeared over the horizon and was virtually identical to the first one. Each took a couple of minutes to traverse the sky. Turns out they were undoubtedly meteors caught in Earth's orbit that eventually eroded into the upper atmosphere. They were huge, so probably big enough and slow enough to have landed in the ocean since I only lived about 20 miles from the ocean in a remote area of California near the Oregon border. Two years ago I met someone who also saw it who was out driving a Willey's Jeep on top of a mountain about 25 miles south of where I lived. I figure they were about 60 miles up when I saw them.

The APOD object is larger and more diffuse than the one I saw, thus it might be more of a cometary substance that eroded slightlyl as it grazed the upper atmosphere. But it was moving so slowly?? I can't figure how that would be possible.

passing thru

Post by passing thru » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:57 am

The object moves at about the same rate as the dark area (clouds?) on the top of the frames in the GIF. It has to be in the atmosphere.

Re: APOD Feb 8th 2005 Haleakala NSL animation

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:05 am

Ben wrote:If the APOD animation is a good indication, the object appears to have slowed down rapidly. It starts off as a thin streak and appears to be coming closer as it's aspect increases, and it suddenly seems to slow down. What do you think?
That's a visual anomaly caused by the fish-eye lens.

Jerry Fishman

APOD Unknown over Hawaii- Feb 8

Post by Jerry Fishman » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:22 am

BOB-
I BELIEVE THAT THIS IS JUST THE RE-ENTRY of an un-cataloged piece of spacecraft or upper stage that could have been in orbit for many years. It could have been something as small as a large explosive nut or bolt used to tie satellites to an upper stage.

Best Regards, It was good to see you in San Diego. Keep up the good work on APOD.

Jerry Fishman
NASA-MSFC

night sky weirdom

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:25 am

Ok. Here's an eyewitness account. I had forgotten about this event until I saw the Astro Picture of the Day site earlier this evening.

I live in South Kona on the Big Island. I awoke in the very early AM. The sky was quite clear that AM. As I gazed up towards the zenith, tracking close to Leo was a very large "white blob". Being a frequent star gazer my initial response was "What the f#$# is that"!. I have never seen an object like it before. It's size was approximately twice, maybe a little more, than the Full Moon diameter.

After watching it track very slowly for about 10 minutes, I decided it was worth a look in my telescope. I have a 4" Vernonscope Refractor. Magnification was 20x. The wide field revealed a very soft light - no it was not a weather balloon as others have suggested - with stars visible behind it. Rather than some distinct object it seemed that a light was shining on part of the sky!

Even stranger was what I observed on the southern side of the object. About 3 full moon diameters away was a small dot of pale yellow/white light that looked and tracked like a satellite, however, moved much slower. Don't know about distance above the Earth, however, if it was in the atmosphere, there was no sound of any engine noise (I live in a very quiet area of the Island and any atmospheric sound from an airplane etc. would be audible). Also, there was no observable beam of light coming from the small object.

From the time I picked up the object until it disappeared into the East about 45 minutes later, it remained "parallel" to the "white blob", never varying its distance or speed. I have observed airplanes across the sky here, and this was not moving like an airplane. This tells me the object's distance from the Earth Surface was significantly higher.

One impression was a possible UFO, however, as I mentioned, there was no erratic pattern in its flight. Certainly doesn't rule it out, however, from what I've read (no I've never seen a UFO) UFO objects usually fly in erratic patterns.

Curious if anyone else saw this event Naked Eye???

it'sjustspacejunk

For 45 minutes...?

Post by it'sjustspacejunk » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:59 am

"BOB-
I BELIEVE THAT THIS IS JUST THE RE-ENTRY of an un-cataloged piece of spacecraft or upper stage that could have been in orbit for many years. It could have been something as small as a large explosive nut or bolt used to tie satellites to an upper stage. "

A piece of space junk, a nut or bolt, re-entering the atmosphere for 45 minutes? Are you serious? Please explain how this is even a remote possibility.

davidmatthews

clueless

Post by davidmatthews » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:04 am

there are some brilliant people out there

skysat

AMC-16

Post by skysat » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:09 am

This would appear to be a fuel dump. The AMC-16 satellite was launched at 12:07 UT. Spacecraft separation was scheduled to occur 1:49 later (13:56 UT). I don't have the times but what followed next was the Contamination and Collision Avoidance Maneuver (CCAM). The first photo is at 14:19 UT. Twenty-three minutes seems like a reasonable time to wait before the fuel dump. 'Guest' probably saw AMC-16 in addition to the fuel (why didn't he see the Centaur upper stage)?

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av005/status.html
http://www.ilslaunch.com/launches/cbin/ ... _16_MO.pdf

JustAGuess

Post by JustAGuess » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:07 am

A liquid wouldn't have the reflectivity seen in these images, although from the timing it does seem likely the object is something from the AMC-16's launching vehicle. Separation was due to occur 1:48:42 after launch.