APOD assessment poll #7

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

For how long have you been following APOD?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Less than 6 months
5%
Between 6 months and 2 years
9%
Between 2 years and 5 years
19%
Between 5 years and 10 years
35%
Greater than 10 years
31%
What's an APOD?
0%

Total votes: 4208

mike studyform

Re: APOD assessment poll #7

Post by mike studyform » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:22 am

Having the daily image automatically set to appear on my screen every day is one of the best things I've done since I got a computer.
I read the Explanation each day too, but never get any roll-over cursor features or anything other than the pic and description.

My only moan is about the occasional silly animal (usually cat) picture which appears instead of the expected astronomically linked one (it appears with the explanation for the Pic which SHOULD be there), but as it's only there for a day every so often, I can live with it.

I'm always telling others about APOD, and recommend it where I can. After all, there really is no bigger subject, is there?

Thanks for the pleasure, information and interest you provide.

gidhsk

Post by gidhsk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:31 am

go universe! :D

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:35 am

:ssmile:
Fredalex wrote:Almost daily viewing. Scientific explanations appreciated. Wonder still afire in an older man.
I am 71 and still learning. Hope to never stop.

dship14

Post by dship14 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:47 am

I discovered APOD after the purchase of my first computer in 1996. Most of the images were nothing short of breathtaking and the "vanilla English" descriptions helped in my understanding of how the universe works. I was searching for a homepage where I wasn't bombarded with advertisements and popups and I knew I had found it. I continue to tell family, friends and associates about APOD ... in most cases I now spot either APOD on their computer or an image being used as wallpaper. Keep up the good (and educational) work!

Carolone

Post by Carolone » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:31 am

Thank you for bringing such wonderful images and details to us!!! Always a part of my day, usually the best part!! Seeing God's handiwork does wonders for the soul.

soundlady

Post by soundlady » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:53 am

Bravo APOD!! Keep up the fine and wonderful pics of our universe and beyond. I use these fabulous pics as my wallpaper on my cell!

billykershaw

Post by billykershaw » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:01 am

I also look at APOD at bedtime and I am almost always blown away. It's a powerful spiritual experience for me and makes me know that all is well with the universe.

sillyBasenji

Post by sillyBasenji » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:32 am

I am surprised to find that I have been a daily visitor to APOD for more than 10 years, perhaps as much as 13 years. If I miss a day, I always go back in the archives as soon as I get onto the computer.

Thanks, gentlemen, for so many days of wonder, dreams, and occasional chuckles.

flemming52

Post by flemming52 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:57 am

I just wany to thank you for reminding this almost 60 year old body of the pleasure he felt as a 10 year old coming out of the library with a pile of books under his arms.

franklin

Post by franklin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:07 am

VINICIUS You do have the date close enough. It was, also, the first APOD with a link. Next day, no link. Hard work, my friend, hard work! :shock: :roll: 8-)

Lucy

Post by Lucy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:32 am

APOD is always the first thing I look at when i switch my laptop on every day. I've been following it for many years. Not quite sure how many so I put 5-10 years. It may be more but I can't remember for sure. Keep up the good work in educating the world about the wonders of the universe. Well done.

Roland

Post by Roland » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:25 pm

APOD addresses one of life's fundamental questions: what is the world like outside my tiny corner? I particularly like the planetscapes, and am looking forward to pictures from the next Mars lander.

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:32 pm

APOD is one of the very few sites on my daily list. I have been following since early 1996, and I went back to 'catch up' on those I missed. I find it a nice way to find pictures to rotate as my desktop wallpaper.

- Ken

KoolKatHebert2

Post by KoolKatHebert2 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:42 pm

In the 60s, my parents bought me a $25 Gilbert 3.5" cardboard tube Newtonian telescope, with which I scanned the heavens in southwest Louisiana. I now partake of astronomy through our local city park system's Highland Road Observatory, jointly run by LSU staff, BREC staff, and volunteers from the Baton Rouge Astronomical Society. Having poor eyesight following retina and cataract surgery, APOD has opened up a wonderful view of the heavens, and the hypertext write-ups provide intriguing educational materials to follow up with. I may not check it EVERY day, but I do check out EVERY APOD post! Thanks to the "Authors & editors" Mssrs. Robert Nemiroff (MTU) & Jerry Bonnell (UMCP) who have managed the daily production of this wonderful material with so much dedication and enthusiasm! Thanks to all who work to put together all of the posts, and the submitters. This is one of the best sites on the web!!

One humble suggestion: I really find great benefit in the text that acompanies the astronomical photos, when both the distance to the object and the scale of view, e.g., so many light years away, and the view is so many light years across. Please make this a standard for every astronomical photograph for which it is appropriate to do so. It is very helpful in helping me to imagine the "placement" of what is shown in the scale of things...

A humble suggestion: I wonder if there is enough location and direction and speed of motion of the objects we can see in the night sky to project what we see to what is actually there "now"? Would there be much of a difference?!

Thanks for a wonderul 10+ years of amazing astronomical posts!

m.m.

Post by m.m. » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:56 pm

luv APOD! Very intresting n amazing pics.

Tobar

Post by Tobar » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:22 pm

I've been following APOD since I first discovered it +10 ago. It's not my home page but I check it every morning. It puts me in the proper frame of mind like that 1st cup of coffee. The second site I always visit is www.spaceweather.com. Spaceweather is good for a heads up of forthcoming celestial events in particular solar flares and CMEs directed at earth. Its always good to know whats out there.....

Becky

Post by Becky » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:43 pm

I love this site. I have learned so much!

Post by 206265 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:57 pm

I've been interested in astronomy since I was a teenager. Also astronomy as a minor as physics doctoral student. I really appreciate the wide selection of images in various wavelengths, as accompanied by explanations. Long may APOD continue!

Wing Goose

Post by Wing Goose » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:41 pm

APOD is magnificent! I have been viewing as long as I have had a computer. ~ About 20 years.

kellanmarr

Post by kellanmarr » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:51 am

APOD is my homepage. I just got back from vacation (with no internet) this evening, and the first thing I am doing is going back through the APOD pages that I missed while I was gone. E-mail can wait.

SteveWalkey

Post by SteveWalkey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:16 am

Hi to all you APODders! I was just going to say to say, there seem to be some very pernickety people who view APOD, and then I was probably about go on some kind of rant about not being so anal, but then I see a lovely message from confoundedviola that restores my faith that there are Humans out there, not just Drones.
I personally say a kinda general goodnight to our World, all the Planets, Moons and Stars and everybody who inhabits them. And Good Morning too! So good Day to you, confoundedviola, and to everyone like you. If you keep your sense of Wonder, your life can be Wonderful!

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks for dedication and hard work. Over the years, I've notice the picture gets bigger and bigger. Great!

But... I'm now on a 1920x1080 and it's a hassle to have to scroll down to read the text, and scroll back up to look at the picture, then scroll back down to read some more... Please limit the size so that both the caption and image fit on a mainstream monitor size without scrolling!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:20 am

Guest wrote:Thanks for dedication and hard work. Over the years, I've notice the picture gets bigger and bigger. Great!

But... I'm now on a 1920x1080 and it's a hassle to have to scroll down to read the text, and scroll back up to look at the picture, then scroll back down to read some more... Please limit the size so that both the caption and image fit on a mainstream monitor size without scrolling!
It fits fine on my screen most days and I use the same resolution. Sounds like you've got a lot of extra stuff taking up space at the top of your browser? Or you could have accidentally zoomed in, which would make the picture and text all bigger.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

mmurphy

Post by mmurphy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:31 pm

I have been checking the site first thing in the morning since 1998. It's a great resource for my students. I always carry a copy of what stuck me as "wow" to show to friends, family and neighbors. Right now it is the Kelper Suns and Planets, posted on 3.29.11. Great site! Thanks for all you do to inspire students to learn more about the Universe!
TJ

yobar
Asternaut

Post by yobar » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:06 am

I've been checking APOD out since Sep 1996, usually once a week, clicking back through the missed pix. I've been using many of them for my desktop background.