APOD: Curiosity Before Mars: Seven Minutes... (2012 Jul 31)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
NoelC
Creepy Spock

Re: "All right, MR. O, I'm ready for my close-up,"

Post by NoelC » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:42 pm

neufer wrote:Now it's repeated the feat, with Curiosity.
Wow, the feats of precision just keep on coming! No doubt this was planned.

I think it's amazing that we have Mars instrumented so well as to be able to photograph one probe with another.

Just wow.

-Noel

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD: Curiosity Before Mars: Seven Minutes... (2012 Jul

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:32 am

So now it's a 2-feater. Something solid to stand on. However... even a broken clock has perfect time... twice a day. So we'll just have to wait till the 3rd shoe chute drops, to see if mars is really that well instrumented. :yes: :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:41 am

ta152h0 wrote:
BMAONE23 wrote:
Too bad they didn't include a Video Camera in the Sky Crane for footage of the actual landing
I think they do have a descent camera
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2012/08061652-mardi-video-thumb.html wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
First look at Curiosity MARDI's descent animation (WOW WOW)
Posted By Emily Lakdawalla, 2012/08/06

<<MARDI -- the Mars Descent Imager -- has already lived up to its promise, and it's hardly begun. Let me set the scene for you briefly. MARDI is a HD color camera bolted to the front left side of the rover, pointed down. It started recording images at a rate of 4.5 frames per second shortly before the heat shield was jettisoned, and shot photos all the way down. The full-resolution images are 1600 by 1200 pixels, and the full video will be breathtaking when it's available. That won't be for a while.

What we have on the ground now from MARDI is incredible, and it's nothing like what we'll eventually get. What we have now is a stop-motion animation of 297 individual frames. The frames are "thumbnails," downsampled versions of the full-resolution data. Curiosity sent these thumbnails to Earth in order to give the MARDI team a sense of when the most important images were taken, so that they can make good choices of which full-resolution frames to send first. So the animation will get way, way better than this.

It begins with the heat shield about 15 meters below the rover, glinting in the Sun. It falls away quickly, vanishing into invisibility. We see red Mars below it, spinning as the rover spins. At one point there's a sudden change in perspective, likely a result of the "divert maneuver" that Curiosity executed after it cut its connection to its parachute. As Curiosity approaches the ground, we start to see a plume of dust being kicked up. The Skycrane maneuver begins, and simultaneously the wheels deploy; one wheel (the left front, I think) pops into view in one corner. As the rover settles to the ground and the wheels take up its weight, the wheel moves out of the field of view again.>>
Art Neuendorffer

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:52 am

I picked out my vegetable plan for the next month starting with cauliflower
Wolf Kotenberg