iShake: Smartphone earthquake detector and reporter

Research the universe. Expand humanity's knowledge.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

iShake: Smartphone earthquake detector and reporter

Post by RJN » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:18 pm

In a previous post I became aware of an earthquake app that does something I believe is significantly better than other apps -- it reports the earthquake accelerometer reading to a central repository that can then use the signal from many smartphones to map out the affect of an earthquake. Other smartphone apps just seem to detect the earthquake locally and report general seismic observations, but not use multiple smartphones as nodes making out the strength and breadth of earthquakes. This post is here: http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 69#p181340

The smartphone app is called iShake but I was not able to find it on the iPhone app store, even though several apps with iShake in the name appear there. The place to get it seems to be:http://ishakeberkeley.appspot.com/ . Currently however, I am not able to download it to my iPhone 4, as it responds annoyingly "Your request could not be completed." But perhaps I am being particularly inept, or the site is temporarily swamped. If others can successfully download and try out this app, please tell me with a reply to this post. I will be trying again later myself.

If it works, I would classify this app as "Primary Science" and "Detector", which is a powerful and newly developing type of science. In general also think this distributed smartphone network is also a very powerful paradigm and can be expanded to explore other questions in other areas of science.

- RJN

Calvin
Asternaut

Re: iShake: Smartphone earthquake detector and reporter

Post by Calvin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:41 am

I am looking for an app that shows a map with all of the earthquake hotspots that are going on in real time. Does anyone know which app it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:34 pm

Calvin wrote:I am looking for an app that shows a map with all of the earthquake hotspots that are going on in real time. Does anyone know which app it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
There are too many to list. There are earthquake websites, as well as mobile apps. Take your pick. I have this one on my tablet, and like it.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Calvin
Asternaut

Post by Calvin » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Calvin wrote:I am looking for an app that shows a map with all of the earthquake hotspots that are going on in real time. Does anyone know which app it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
There are too many to list. There are earthquake websites, as well as mobile apps. Take your pick. I have this one on my tablet, and like it.
Thanks a lot for your help. I am excited to download them and check them out.