APOD: Apollo 11 Landing Site Panorama (2012 Aug 30)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Apollo 11 Landing Site Panorama (2012 Aug 30)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:06 am

Image Apollo 11 Landing Site Panorama

Explanation: Have you seen a panorama from another world lately? Assembled from high-resolution scans of the original film frames, this one sweeps across the magnificent desolation of the Apollo 11 landing site on the Moon's Sea of Tranquility. Taken by Neil Armstrong looking out his window of the Eagle Lunar Module, the frame at the far left (AS11-37-5449) is the first picture taken by a person on another world. Toward the south, thruster nozzles can be seen in the foreground on the left, while at the right, the shadow of the Eagle is visible toward the west. For scale, the large, shallow crater on the right has a diameter of about 12 meters. Frames taken from the Lunar Module windows about an hour and a half after landing, before walking on the lunar surface, were intended to initially document the landing site in case an early departure was necessary.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD: Apollo 11 Landing Site Panorama (2012 Aug 30)

Post by Beyond » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:19 am

Somehow, after Mars, this seems a bit... common.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 am

Beyond wrote:Somehow, after Mars, this seems a bit... common.
Maybe you need to reread the explanation ...
APOD Robot wrote:the first picture taken by a person on another world
I would say that makes this pretty amazing.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Baci

Post by Baci » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:55 am

I assume this was taken with a film camera - I'm not sure how it would have helped in the event of the need for a quick getaway as the film would not have been processed in situ presumabley? Or am I missing something?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:04 am

I think it is meant as more of "at least we got this" if they had to leave, not as an aid in leaving.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:29 am

bystander wrote:
I saw a lot of 'live', including planting the flag. It seemed rather normal to me back then. Maybe that's why today's APOD seems so common to me.

ro_star

Post by ro_star » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:56 am

I'm sure someone may have asked this before, but does anyone notice there are no stars at all? Not even the slightest glimmer of a trace. The moon atmosphere is virtually nonexistent. Stars should be like bright point lasers in the sky. Did they take this photo with digital or film equipment? Digital equipment existed back then, was it that bad? Can film be so bad to not see even one star? The foreground is perfectly clear so film is not damaged. Not even Sirius? No trace at all. Pure, unrelieved studio black. Hm. If it was in a studio and they put the wrong star pattern, some smart astro-girl or guy would eventually prove those stars were not in that direction at the time the photo was taken, so to avoid risks, put no stars in the studio, right? Maybe LRO will get hi res images to determine if there was a moon landing after all, 40 years ago. With 8 bit punch card computers and bad film.

jeeplvr2000

Post by jeeplvr2000 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:39 am

Oh my goodness the shadows are all wrong!! :)

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:56 am

ro_star wrote:I'm sure someone may have asked this before, but does anyone notice there are no stars at all? Not even the slightest glimmer of a trace. The moon atmosphere is virtually nonexistent. Stars should be like bright point lasers in the sky. Did they take this photo with digital or film equipment? Digital equipment existed back then, was it that bad? Can film be so bad to not see even one star? The foreground is perfectly clear so film is not damaged. Not even Sirius? No trace at all. Pure, unrelieved studio black. Hm. If it was in a studio and they put the wrong star pattern, some smart astro-girl or guy would eventually prove those stars were not in that direction at the time the photo was taken, so to avoid risks, put no stars in the studio, right? Maybe LRO will get hi res images to determine if there was a moon landing after all, 40 years ago. With 8 bit punch card computers and bad film.
The reason stars are not visible is that they would not be visible in a very short exposure photo. The reason for an incredibly short exposure time is to avoid overexposing the bright lunar surface (which is also a light source). The main subject is the foreground, not the background sky. Lots of space probe images of planets don't show stars, does that mean they were faked in a studio or Photoshop? Remember to use Occam's razor but try not to get cut! :D

APODFORIST
Ensign

Post by APODFORIST » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 am

This crater(s) made the landing(s) quite risky ... :shock:

Giordano Bruno

Post by Giordano Bruno » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:25 am

I suggest viewing another interesting picture here : http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/AS11-40-5922HR.jpg

It makes difficult to keep on believing that a gentleman came all the way from Earth in such a ridiculous Mickey Mouse vehicle to have a walk there ...

Surely they did a walk in the Nevada desert with some nice cosmonaut dress on ...

nstahl
Science Officer

Post by nstahl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:38 am

My wife and I had tickets to the Newport Jazz (Folk?) Festival but instead we stayed home to watch the landing. I'm glad we did.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:48 am

This is a nice tribute to Neil Armstrong.

Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:54 am

ro_star wrote:I'm sure someone may have asked this before, but does anyone notice there are no stars at all? Not even the slightest glimmer of a trace. The moon atmosphere is virtually nonexistent. Stars should be like bright point lasers in the sky. Did they take this photo with digital or film equipment? Digital equipment existed back then, was it that bad? Can film be so bad to not see even one star? The foreground is perfectly clear so film is not damaged. Not even Sirius? No trace at all. Pure, unrelieved studio black. Hm. If it was in a studio and they put the wrong star pattern, some smart astro-girl or guy would eventually prove those stars were not in that direction at the time the photo was taken, so to avoid risks, put no stars in the studio, right? Maybe LRO will get hi res images to determine if there was a moon landing after all, 40 years ago. With 8 bit punch card computers and bad film.
Go outside in daylight and take a landscape picture that includes the sky.

How many stars are in your picture?

So yes, I've noticed there are no stars in this APOD picture... I wouldn't expect there to be, because it was taken in daylight.

Here's an LRO shot of the Apollo 17 landing site: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110908.html
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Giordano Bruno

Post by Giordano Bruno » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:55 am

This one picture is also eye opening ... http://next.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/AS11-40-5927HR.jpg

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:05 am

Ann wrote:This is a nice tribute to Neil Armstrong.

Ann
I think so, too.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:18 pm

Beyond wrote:
Somehow, after Mars, this seems a bit... déjà vu: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120827.html
Art Neuendorffer

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Beyond....:kicks u: Moonpictures are always stunning and amazing...ever :!: MOONlady :mrgreen: who waves at Neil Armstrong and that incredible team.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:19 pm

owlice wrote:
Ann wrote:This is a nice tribute to Neil Armstrong.

Ann
I think so, too.
ditto
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Lordcat Darkstar
Ensign

Post by Lordcat Darkstar » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:33 pm

March 8, 2011 apod. Picture of Saturn with no stars in the back ground!!! Must be fake
:shock: Ouch just cut myself on a razor :roll: 8-)

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:47 pm

Moonlady wrote:
Beyond....:kicks u: Moonpictures are always stunning and amazing...ever :!: MOONlady :mrgreen: who waves at Neil Armstrong and that incredible team.
MOONlady, methinks you are just a bit predjudice in the matter. However, though the moon, to me, may be blase', you are NO reflection of that :!: To me, Moonlady is always Wild, wacky and Amazeing!!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:49 pm

neufer wrote:
Beyond wrote:
Somehow, after Mars, this seems a bit... déjà vu: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120827.html
That's because it's in black & white and not color. :mrgreen:

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:07 pm

You've already been given the answer to this, but let me add, while the lunar images were made on film (there were no practical digital cameras at the time), it would make no difference. While film is generally less sensitive than modern CCD and CMOS sensors, when the exposure times are normalized, each will record essentially the same thing for a normally lit scene like this. Digital images made by instruments orbiting other planets, or images made by astronauts from the ISS, seldom show stars... for the same reason that the lunar photographs don't.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

FloridaMike
Science Officer

Post by FloridaMike » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:25 pm

bystander wrote:
Exactly, just imagine what it was like sitting in that capsule gazing out at the landscape of an alien world for the first time in human history. The universe got a little smaller that day, not quite as unreachable as it had been the day before.
Certainty is an emotion. So follow your spindle neurons.

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:16 pm

when Armstrong..........taking a moment for a silent salute .........said ' drifting to the right a little ", are there any images of the location causing him to drift to the right a little ?
Wolf Kotenberg