Facebook
1%
Phone App
0%
Blog link
5%
Justin Bieber concert
1%
Other (explain below, if you would like)
20%

Total votes: 1772

RJN
Baffled Boffin

APOD assessment poll #8

Post by RJN » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:04 am

Thank you very much for your interest in Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). We very much appreciate the time you have given us viewing our images and reading the explanations; your dedication drives us to keep doing the site. APOD will likely be asking other questions in the near future; your responses will help us better understand viewers like you, and will allow us to improve what we do for you.

Please select the answer that best reflects how you first heard about APOD. Please leave any comments you may have on this topic below.

Thank you!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: APOD assessment poll #8

Post by geckzilla » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Search engine but not Google. I think I used Yahoo back in the day.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:59 am

... lost in the mists of time.

starrigger

Post by starrigger » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:11 am

God might remember, but I don't. Probably an Alta Vista search gone wrong. :)

dship14

Post by dship14 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:16 am

A long-forgotten search engine ... first computer--looking for an interesting home page. And I found it ...

W8LQ

Post by W8LQ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:23 am

My son got me hooked on APOD when I was still using WIN95 on dial-up. Been checking every night since!
Thanks for a great web site.

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:30 am

Sorry ~~ I don't remember. I probably accidentally stumbled across it looking for something on the NASA website.

cmjj42

Post by cmjj42 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:33 am

Other = I've been following APOD for so long now, I honestly can't remember where I first heard about it! Most likely a friend or coworker, tho'.

Robin

Post by Robin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:41 am

I learned about APOD through my nephew's Facebook posted recommendation and link.

GerB

Post by GerB » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:42 am

Read it in a book by Ken Macleod

oldman

Post by oldman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:46 am

Too long ago to be sure, but I think it was an article somewhere that mentioned the site run by a guy from da Tech. Being a Tech grad myself, BSME 1952, that caught my eye and I've checked in every day since. Thanks for a great site and a great education.

AstroChick
Asternaut

Post by AstroChick » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:51 am

Wow! So long ago I'm don't remember. I do remember telling colleagues in my department about this 'new cool astro page' back in grad school days - that would be fall 1995.

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:53 am

A long time ago, I did have a subscription to a paper monthly magazine, telling its readers what was interesting on the internet, how the various dialup ISPs compared, why it was important to get the new “high speed” modem, how to “build” a homepage, et cetera.
I must have copied (typed in) one of the links printed in there.

CycloneJack

Post by CycloneJack » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:56 am

I can't even begin to remember how I found apod. It's probably been 6 or 7 years, checking every day. That seems to be a popular response though.

PianoLady

Post by PianoLady » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:10 am

One of my sons was living in Michigan, going to University of Michigan in 1995. Knowing that my fascination with astronomy is rivaled only by his, he sent me an email saying, Mom, you have to check out this website! Which I did. I've had APOD bookmarked since then, on a lot of different machines!

Scrotes McGee

Post by Scrotes McGee » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:16 am

The first time I heard about APOD was April 18, 2001 in my earth science class in 9th grade. I remember it because the topic was "A Higher Dimensional Universe" and it was the first time I had ever heard of a hypercube or even thought about the implications of living in more than 3 dimensions. I've looked at every single picture since that day!

Scrotes McGee

Post by Scrotes McGee » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:17 am

Scrotes McGee wrote:The first time I heard about APOD was April 18, 2001 in my earth science class in 9th grade. I remember it because the topic was "A Higher Dimensional Universe" and it was the first time I had ever heard of a hypercube or even thought about the implications of living in more than 3 dimensions. I've looked at every single picture since that day!
My teacher showed the website to the whole class.

El Pato

Post by El Pato » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:26 am

Twitter; I get a reminder to check it daily

stowaway
Ensign

Post by stowaway » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:51 am

It was 1995. APOD was on a list of ten or so recommended astronomy websites in a magazine. I don't remember the magazine or any of the other websites. But I haven't missed an APOD since ;-)

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:29 am

We received an email from the Clementine project about a cool picture on a NASA site called APOD.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap960530.html

This became my home page, before I even knew what one was. Great site - thanks

stargirl

Post by stargirl » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:36 am

The relative is a passionate amateur astronomer (was long time variable star observer) - so that's got me to APOD the first time, the quality of the art brings me back.

peregrino65

Post by peregrino65 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:48 am

It was 1995, and I was an astronomy student. In Netscape era, this was one of the most exciting sites (at least for me and my colleagues; astronomy was poorly represented in the web), and mirroring via Brera Observatory (thanks a lot!) was mandatory, due to connection velocity at the time. I don't remember how I knew about APOD, but probably was just words passing through the academic world.

Humpty Dumpty

Post by Humpty Dumpty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:57 am

I have no idea how I found APOD. Sure am glad I did. Years ago, far far away....

Humpty Dumpty

Post by Humpty Dumpty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:01 am

Sooooooooo funny that so many people can't remember how they found this gift of a website. Just shows how great it is!
LOVE YOU, APOD!!!!! :D

Robin

Post by Robin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:36 am

I found APOD after I saw a short note in Scientific America sometime last century. I love it.