APOD assessment poll #10

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

Where are you when you usually view APOD?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Home
66%
School
2%
Work
30%
Traveling
0%
Under a car, hiding from the police
1%
Other (if you would, please explain below)
1%

Total votes: 2083

RJN
Baffled Boffin

APOD assessment poll #10

Post by RJN » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:32 pm

APOD assessment poll #10

Thank you very much for your interest in Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). We very much appreciate the time you have given us viewing our images and reading the explanations; your dedication drives us to keep doing the site. APOD will likely be asking other questions in the near future; your responses will help us better understand viewers like you, and will allow us to improve what we do for you.

Please select the answer that best describes the place where you usually view APODs. Please leave any comments you may have on this topic below.

Thank you!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD assessment poll #10

Post by Beyond » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 pm

I have a PC. They're not really portable, so even though hideing under a car from the police, while viewing an APOD sounds like fun, it's just not something that i can do. :no:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Beyond wrote:
I have a PC. They're not really portable, so even though hiding under a car from the police,
while viewing an APOD sounds like fun, it's just not something that i can do. :no:
So you are hiding from the police at home then :?:
Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:50 pm

I actually view both at work and at home

lisaloon

Post by lisaloon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:27 am

I view from wherever I am! A must-do every day. So: From Work AND from home equally, as well as from cyberspace....

Ploate

Post by Ploate » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:29 am

I watch the picture at work.It's usually the start of my day (just don't tell my boss). Nice pictures become my dekstop background.

Ploegd

Post by Ploegd » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:39 am

The first thing to when I switch on my computer at work is to watch te APOD. I do this for several years from my work: the district court in Groningen (The Netherlands).
I must the most of te pictures are awefull. It's a pity that our ICT has not allowed to make beautiful background.

abc

Post by abc » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:00 am

I think APOD is great and I turned it into my browser home page, so every morning I start with a new picture.

All the best,

Yosef

BikerMike
Ensign
AKA: BikerMikeM

Post by BikerMike » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:35 am

abc wrote:I think APOD is great and I turned it into my browser home page, so every morning I start with a new picture.

All the best,

Yosef

Me too!

BikerMike
Still on the green side of the sod. --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hometruths/ ... tion.shtml

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:15 am

sometimes at my after hours bar

Masterpeace
Asternaut
AKA: Wasserwolf

Post by Masterpeace » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:56 am

APOD is part of my morning ritual. It is the first site I visit. I need a doze of kosmos to place me in reality - this huge weird place we live in. It humbles and elevates me simultaniously.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:02 am

I chose work because I feel like I'm there more, which is probably true. But I do view APOD from home on the days I'm not working.

But wherever I am, I have to have my APOD fix! :yes:

:thumb_up:
Forget the box, just get outside.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:13 am

It used to be work; now I usually see an APOD first from home.

Those of you hiding under a car from the police: make sure you move before the car does. As a friend of mine discovered, not everyone does. :shock:
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Star_glow

Post by Star_glow » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:32 am

In the mornings when I wake up, APOD is one of the first things I look at on my iPod. I love learning about space and seeing the beautiful photos! :)

Guest8

Post by Guest8 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:42 am

I'm a 9th grade science teacher and we start off every class with the picture of the day. The kids walk in excited to see what awesome picture you have posted next! Thanks again for helping me get the future generation excited about science :D

ChuckN

Post by ChuckN » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:08 pm

I work from home, so I view APOD -- first thing each day -- simultaneously from work and from home.

Guest2

Post by Guest2 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:37 pm

I am usually the first to the office. Open my coffee, and come out to APOD 1st thing. It's like a little treat every morning. Great site, guys...keep 'em coming.

Country Parson

Post by Country Parson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Awesome! I start my day with APOD. "When I consider the heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man...? You have crowned him with glory and honor. O Lord our Lord, how excellent is your name in all the earth!" Thanks to you for these views.

gcal

Post by gcal » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Since we could only pick one, I answered "work". But I often check from home on weekends, or from wherever I happen to be on vacation.

Like others have said, many pictures become my wallpaper. I use a program to automatically change the wallpaper every day. Visitors to my office often see a new picture and ask what it is. I enjoy explaining the picture, why I like it, and where I got it. It makes me look smart! 8-)

stolenmoment

Post by stolenmoment » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:28 pm

I use the Android APOD app by Sam Oakley to set my tablet wallpaper every day, so I "visit" APOD everywhere!

MMM

Post by MMM » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:56 pm

I show APOD to my (high school) astronomy students almost every day. They let me know about their displeasure when I have to skip a day.

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:16 pm

Like many others, it's my home page, so I view it at work, home, or wherever I happen to be with an internet connection. It's my home page on my laptop, PC, and Android browsers.

gregory the pope

Post by gregory the pope » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Every day, first thing on my lunch break. Unfortunately, company firewall prevents viewing any movies or animations, so I have to wait until I get home.

podkayn
Ensign

Post by podkayn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:04 pm

I have had APOD as my opening screen at work for over 10 years. One of the first images I remember was the Tarantula Nebula, Oct. 27, 1999. I didn't bother to buy a home computer because my employer (a university) allowed unlimited use of their system by staff, so I could just stay late. But I retired at the end of July, and bought a laptop and a router. So, now I would have to answer 'home'. I don't know how to score that.
I'm a retired veterinarian with widespread interests in science.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:40 pm

APOD is a very helpful tool as I work with high school special needs students.