APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 5308
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:05 am

Image Baku Moonrise

Explanation: A Full Moon rises in this waterfront scene. Its colorful, watery reflection is joined by harbor lights and a windowed skyscraper's echo of the western horizon just after sunset. The tantalizing image is a composite of frames recorded at 2 minute intervals on November 28 from the Caspian Sea port city of Baku, Azerbaijan. Still, this Full Moon was not really as big or as bright as others, though it might be hard to tell. In fact, November 28's Full Moon was near apogee, making it the smallest Full Moon of 2012. As it rose over the Baku boardwalk (along with much of the eastern hemisphere), it was also in the Earth's lighter or penumbral shadow. The subtle effect of the penumbral lunar eclipse is just discernible as the slightly darker left side of the lunar disk. Opposite the Sun in planet Earth's sky, the Full Moon was also joined by bright planet Jupiter, only a few days from its own opposition.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8406
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by owlice » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:46 am

Oh, I was hoping this would show up as an APOD!! Yay!

Congrats, Tunç!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

saturno2
Commander
Posts: 755
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by saturno2 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:09 am

This image is very good.

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 8200
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Nice Photograph! :) :yes:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9180
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by geckzilla » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Yes, congrats again to Tunç... you've got so many APODs even Wally might be envious.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

canopia
Science Officer
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:09 pm
Location: Bursa, Turkey

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by canopia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Thank you all! Owlice, I was nearly not making the spot on time because of commitments to my day job. This was just a few meters to the north of where I photographed the sunrise analemma earlier this year.

Geckzilla, Wally and I had a road trip around US Southwest in May 2012. Back then, owners of 79 APODs were in his car. :shock:

Tunç Tezel

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13298
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by Ann » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Indeed, congrats to Tunç, one of the great astrophotographers whose picture often grace the "Recent Submissions" thread of Starship Asterisk*.

Ann
Color Commentator

mbondr

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by mbondr » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:08 am

The reflection of the moon in the water is a bit suspicious. It must have been manufactured because it couldn't have matched up like that with each frame.

User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8406
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by owlice » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:49 am

mbondr wrote:The reflection of the moon in the water is a bit suspicious. It must have been manufactured because it couldn't have matched up like that with each frame.
Why couldn't they have? Make your case.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18040
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:03 am

mbondr wrote:The reflection of the moon in the water is a bit suspicious. It must have been manufactured because it couldn't have matched up like that with each frame.
How could it not be?
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

dziban303
Asternaut
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by dziban303 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:46 pm

In fact, November 28's Full Moon was near apogee, making it the smallest Full Moon of 2012.
I think you mean "near perigee".

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18040
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:51 pm

dziban303 wrote:
In fact, November 28's Full Moon was near apogee, making it the smallest Full Moon of 2012.
I think you mean "near perigee".
On 28 November 2012 the Moon was both full, and at apogee (406364 km). The two events were only separated by about five hours.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: San Francisco, California, Turtle Island

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Lovely. Thanks. It's surprising to see how far the Moon and Jupiter move in the sky over just two minutes of Earth's rotation.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18040
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Anthony Barreiro wrote:Lovely. Thanks. It's surprising to see how far the Moon and Jupiter move in the sky over just two minutes of Earth's rotation.
As astroimagers know, the sky rotates at 15 arcseconds per second, or 1/4° per minute. The Moon is 1/2° in diameter, and near the ecliptic, so we expect it to travel its own width in about 2 minutes. And here we have a lovely photographic demonstration of that otherwise fairly abstract observation.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: San Francisco, California, Turtle Island

Re: APOD: Baku Moonrise (2012 Dec 08)

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Anthony Barreiro wrote:Lovely. Thanks. It's surprising to see how far the Moon and Jupiter move in the sky over just two minutes of Earth's rotation.
As astroimagers know, the sky rotates at 15 arcseconds per second, or 1/4° per minute. The Moon is 1/2° in diameter, and near the ecliptic, so we expect it to travel its own width in about 2 minutes. And here we have a lovely photographic demonstration of that otherwise fairly abstract observation.
Yes, as somebody who uses manually driven telescope mounts, I know how fast the sky moves. :wink: And as you say, this is a lovely depiction of that movement.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.