'star' on Moon's shadow - what was it? please!

Ask questions, find resources, browse the virtual shelves.
laurencerowland
Asternaut

'star' on Moon's shadow - what was it? please!

Post by laurencerowland » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:15 pm

I live in Perth, Western Australia. At about 19.30hrs on the 18th February 2013, my wife told me to go outside to look at a 'star' over the shadowed area of the Moon. Over a period of about ten minutes the object moved down and left, towards the bright half of the Moon and was lost against the surface (ie it took about ten minutes to cross about one quarter of the Moon's diameter). I did not see the object emerge from bright area of the Moon.

Efforts to photograph the object with a point and shoot camera whilst being eaten alive by nasty little mozzies were not too effective:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 3847761088
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 3847121072

(sorry, my website is down at the moment, so I posted these on Facebook)

What was it, please?

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: 'star' on Moon's shadow - what was it? please!

Post by owlice » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:38 pm

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

laurencerowland
Asternaut

Post by laurencerowland » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:35 am

Thanks very much!
Looked like the object was over the Moon, but the eye does funny things when looking at the Moon.
Actually, my snap seemed, too, to show Jupiter in front.
Whatever, the reason for that; at least I have something to tell the children.

Thanks again, L.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:54 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procter_%26_Gamble#Logo_controversy wrote:
<<The Procter & Gamble Company, also known as P&G, is an American multinational consumer goods company headquartered in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. Its products include pet foods, cleaning agents and personal care products. Prior to the sale of Pringles to Kellogg Company, its product line included foods and beverages.

P&G's [original 1851 logo was] a crude cross that barge workers on the Ohio River painted on cases of P&G star candles to identify them. P&G later changed this symbol into a trademark that showed a man in the moon overlooking 13 stars, said to commemorate the original 13 colonies.

The company received unwanted media publicity in the 1980s when rumors spread that the moon-and-stars logo was a satanic symbol. The accusation was based on a particular passage in the Bible, specifically Revelation 12:1, which states: "And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of 12 stars." P&G's logo consisted of a man's face on the moon surrounded by 13 stars, and some claimed that the logo was a mockery of the heavenly symbol alluded to in the aforementioned verse, thus construing the logo to be satanic. Where the flowing beard meets the surrounding circle, three curls were said to be a mirror image of the number 666, or the reflected number of the beast. At the top and bottom, the hair curls in on itself, and was said to be the two horns like those of a ram.

The moon-and-stars logo was discontinued in 1985 because of the controversy.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Some people, it seems, can just be so damn stupid. But then... are the rest of us really any less, in a lot of ways :?: :?: :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Lunar jets

Post by neufer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:10 pm

http://www.universetoday.com/100097/luckiest-photo-ever-the-moon-jupiter-and-more/#more-100097 wrote: Luckiest Photo Ever: The Moon, Jupiter … and More
by Nancy Atkinson, Universe Today, February 19, 2013

“No matter how much you plan and prepare,” said photographer Greg Gibbs, “sometimes you just have to be very lucky.”

As we mentioned last week, Jupiter and the Moon were going to have a close encounter in the sky on February 18, with an occultation visible in some areas. And so Gibbs was preparing to get shots of the occultation through his telescope from his location in Victoria, Australia, and was using an automated timer to get shots at about 10 second intervals But then he noticed lights from a plane coming close to the Moon.

“I realised that there was a chance that it would pass in front of the Moon,” he said, “so I quickly canceled the remote timer I was using to take the shots and instead started shooting high speed continuous frames. I managed to get this plane crossing the moon in five individual frames just as Jupiter was about to be occulted by The Moon.”

This final product, as Gibbs notes on his Facebook page, is a two image composite. The Moon, Jupiter and the plane are all one single image. Then he took an overexposed image to bring up the Galilean Moons of (from left to right) Io, Callisto and Europa. At the time of this shot, Ganymede had already been occulted by The Moon.>>
Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Re: Lunar jets

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:19 pm

neufer wrote:
http://www.universetoday.com/100097/luckiest-photo-ever-the-moon-jupiter-and-more/#more-100097 wrote: Luckiest Photo Ever: The Moon, Jupiter … and More
by Nancy Atkinson, Universe Today, February 19, 2013

“No matter how much you plan and prepare,” said photographer Greg Gibbs, “sometimes you just have to be very lucky.”

As we mentioned last week, Jupiter and the Moon were going to have a close encounter in the sky on February 18, with an occultation visible in some areas. And so Gibbs was preparing to get shots of the occultation through his telescope from his location in Victoria, Australia, and was using an automated timer to get shots at about 10 second intervals But then he noticed lights from a plane coming close to the Moon.

“I realised that there was a chance that it would pass in front of the Moon,” he said, “so I quickly canceled the remote timer I was using to take the shots and instead started shooting high speed continuous frames. I managed to get this plane crossing the moon in five individual frames just as Jupiter was about to be occulted by The Moon.”

This final product, as Gibbs notes on his Facebook page, is a two image composite. The Moon, Jupiter and the plane are all one single image. Then he took an overexposed image to bring up the Galilean Moons of (from left to right) Io, Callisto and Europa. At the time of this shot, Ganymede had already been occulted by The Moon.>>
Ju Petter Believe it

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:40 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor