Where am I?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: Where am I?

Post by Ann » Thu May 30, 2013 9:50 am

Pickering's Triangle?

Although I have no idea what it has to do with Ontairo and York.

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu May 30, 2013 10:04 am

Ann wrote:Pickering's Triangle?

Although I have no idea what it has to do with Ontairo and York.

Ann
Correct Answer!
And note that I said YorkSHIRE (the county) and not YORK (the city)

PICKERING ( http://www.pickering.uk.net/pickering/index.php)
is a delightful town on the North Yorkshire Moors. (Quite near Scarborough...)

PICKERING ( http://www.pickering.ca/en/)
is also, I discovered when getting the above information link, a City in Ontario.

Pickering's triangle. From the link on the Apod
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html (29/5/2013) which says "western segment"

There is a nice image of Pickering's Triangle at this Apod:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080701.html
Info and an image at the Star-imager site
Pickering’s Triangle was discovered in 1904 by Williamina Fleming of the Harvard Observatory while examining photographic plates of the area. The object was named in honor of her boss, astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, then director of the Observatory.

Pickering’s Triangle goes by a number of aliases, including Pickering’s Wedge, Fleming’s Triangular Wisp, and Simeis 3-188. Current estimates place this supernova remnant at about 1800 light years from Earth. The entire Veil Nebula complex, of which Pickering’s Triangle is but a portion has an apparent diameter of about 3° or nine full moons! The tangled mass of star ejecta in the main body of the Triangle along with the fine, twisted filaments trailing out from that region make this object a beautiful and rewarding target for amateur astro-imagers.
So PICKERING'S triangle should be called "Fleming's Triangle" or "Williamina's Triangle"!

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 30, 2013 1:36 pm

My first (and only) thought about Yorkshire was pudding, but then i thought nah!, and went to pickled herring because of Pickler's Triangle. Other than those two, i got nutin.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu May 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Beyond wrote:My first (and only) thought about Yorkshire was pudding, but then i thought nah!, and went to pickled herring because of Pickler's Triangle. Other than those two, i got nutin.
It is the art of using a search engine or Wikipedia, Beyond.

Having seen the name Pickering on the picture that Art posted, all that was then necessary was to type that word intoa search box! Then the places in Yorkshire and Ontario would be top of the list.

I've just tried it on BING and the three of the first four results gave ALL the answers to this puzzle, including Pickering's Triangle.

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Hmm... i just tried it with Bing. Had to scroll down about a half dozen just to get out of Ontario. I think Bing likes you better, Margarita.
So as to what they all have in common... a place called pickering :?: :?:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 30, 2013 3:05 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:
PICKERING ( http://www.pickering.uk.net/pickering/index.php)
is a delightful town on the North Yorkshire Moors. (Quite near Scarborough...)

PICKERING ( http://www.pickering.ca/en/)
is also, I discovered when getting the above information link, a City in Ontario.
The things I didn't know! :shock: :shock: :shock:
MargaritaMc wrote:
Info and an image at the Star-imager site
Pickering’s Triangle was discovered in 1904 by Williamina Fleming of the Harvard Observatory while examining photographic plates of the area. The object was named in honor of her boss, astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, then director of the Observatory.
So PICKERING'S triangle should be called "Fleming's Triangle" or "Williamina's Triangle"!
So the triangle couldn't be named after the woman who discovered it - talk about sexism!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Ann wrote:
MargaritaMc wrote: So PICKERING'S triangle should be called "Fleming's Triangle" or "Williamina's Triangle"!
So the triangle couldn't be named after the woman who discovered it - talk about sexism!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ann
YES! I thought that would interest you in the same way it interested me...

A project that I would like (us?) to undertake a project - perhaps a new thread on Asterisk - dedicated to women astronomers and physicists who have made huge (and often unnoticed) contributions to our area.

The Spanish website created by asterisk member Willy has a page dedicated to Women Astronomers.
http://www.astronomia-iniciacion.com/mu ... nomas.html. There are lots there that I certainly have never heard of.

Margarita

PS. Should you get the opportunity to visit Pickering - DO do so! If it still has its steam train across the moors, then that alone is worth making the trip from Malmö for! :D

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:16 pm

Holy smokes, Margarita! I don't think I could've made that connection in a million years. I went on a tangent looking for witches in Yorkshire and Ontario :!: :!: :!:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu May 30, 2013 4:36 pm

stephen63 wrote:Holy smokes, Margarita! I don't think I could've made that connection in a million years. I went on a tangent looking for witches in Yorkshire and Ontario :!: :!: :!:
But I did give a CLUE when Moonlady asked for one! So that narrowed it down to just the objects that are in the piece of the Witch's Broom that are in the small segment of which Neufer posted an image ( she wails, trying to exonerate herself...)

I always go through all the click-through links on the Apod before I go to the discussion, and so - also - before a puzzle has occurred to me.

And I am an addict of really good detective fiction, by authors like Ngaio Marsh, Dorothy Sayers and Margery Allingham ... All women with fiendishly complicated plot-making abilities! :lol2:

Some time back, when I set Pan- starrs as a puzzle, Beyond complained that I wasn't putting my brain to work sufficiently... Heh heh .. Heh. :wink:

Margarita the Malevolent

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu May 30, 2013 4:42 pm

I've just posted something about the magnificent Willamina Fleming at:

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 02#p200196

Read All About It!!

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Thu May 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Pickering, Ontario is, among other things, the location of the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station, which may make it a suitable clue for a star-related phenomenon - or not.

Rob

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu May 30, 2013 5:05 pm

rstevenson wrote:Pickering, Ontario is, among other things, the location of the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station, which may make it a suitable clue for a star-related phenomenon - or not.

Rob
Whereas Pickering Station, North Yorkshire, is a little less high tech...

A good clue for a nebula?
Margarita

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Looks like Pickering Station, North Yorkshire is a bit steamed at being a little less high tech... :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri May 31, 2013 12:13 am

rstevenson wrote:Pickering, Ontario is, among other things, the location of the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station, which may make it a suitable clue for a star-related phenomenon - or not.

Rob
Why do I think of the Simpsons and Mister Burns?

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri May 31, 2013 12:20 am

Ann wrote:Why do I think of the Simpsons and Mister Burns?
Maybe because you've got w-a-y over 500 posts and are just as officially insane as the rest of us :?: :yes: :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri May 31, 2013 12:25 am

It's my turn to post something, right?

This is probably going to be too hard, but think of it like this. At least one aspect of it is recent!
First you've got this... (although the objects involved are not necessarily cars...)

...then you get this...

...and then you get, sort of, this.

You've got to hurry, though! It goes away quickly!

:wink:

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri May 31, 2013 12:37 am

thCAV1INYI.jpg
thCAV1INYI.jpg (4.99 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri May 31, 2013 12:43 am

Well, Sprite goes away quickly, I guess! But it doesn't shine, does it?

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri May 31, 2013 1:27 am

Ah, that's what those white things are.
Well, the next thing on my list would be the Aurora Borealis, AKA The northern lights. . . Is that a brighter :idea: :?:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri May 31, 2013 1:32 am

OHH!!

Now I know what you were referring to, Beyond - the Red Sprite APOD a couple of days ago. (Good puzzle, Beyond, you fooled me completely!) But that's not the answer to my puzzle.

Let me put it like this: you need to look Beyond. Much farther away than the northern lights, too!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri May 31, 2013 1:49 am

hahaha, i gave you a little puzzle inside of your bigger puzzle.
Well, having to look farther away lets out you walking a sundog.
I think i kinda vaguely remember something about something colliding in space and producing a bright(?) light, but that's about it.
I'll just have to wait till the space-brainy ones make an appearance and figure it out.

OH... hold on... it wouldn't happen to be about a meteor that hit the moon recently, would it :?: :?:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri May 31, 2013 2:16 am

Nope, this is way beyond the solar system, Beyond.

Here's a hint. The object I'm looking for has actually been posted somewhere here at the Asterisk* quite recently, though not in one of the most conspicuous threads.

Oh, and - I'm a little involved, too!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri May 31, 2013 2:33 am

Well, that does it. I'm back to waiting for the space-brainy ones.
I'm beginning to suspect that you and Margarita get together and do little malevolent space dances to come up with the clues you guys use for these puzzles. :mrgreen:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Fri May 31, 2013 8:10 am

Ann wrote:Nope, this is way beyond the solar system, Beyond.

Here's a hint. The object I'm looking for has actually been posted somewhere here at the Asterisk* quite recently, though not in one of the most conspicuous threads.

Oh, and - I'm a little involved, too!

Ann
My thinking out loud:
Clue one. Two objects in collision, (one smaller than the other?).
- (a) First thought is: Two galaxies colliding, (one smaller than the other)
- (b) Second thought: Binary stars, white dwarf + red giant = supernova?
Clue Two. Fireworks. Huge bright display of short duration.
- (a)Thought one: starburst from two galaxies colliding/merging
- (b) Second thought: supernova, linked to 1(b) above
Clue Three. Mmm. That looks very like one of the rectangle supernovae remnants we've seen on Apod. But you said in a later post that it has been mentioned on a not very conspicuous thread... So not the Red Rectangle. (There is also a SN remnant called The Red Square, but this feels as though I am barking up the wrong tree... :puppy: )

Clue Four. April 11. Mmmm! I actually searched your posts for that date this year, Ann! I drew a blank.
- then I put it into number form in the day/month style of 1104 and looked up NGC 1104. ! Nope - zero.

So I am going to have my second cup of coffee and let cogitation happen behind the scenes.
Oh - I'm expecting workmen in to do noisy things today, so a little light puzzling is just about the only 'study' possible!

Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri May 31, 2013 12:36 pm

Margarita wrote:
My thinking out loud:
Clue one. Two objects in collision, (one smaller than the other?).
- (a) First thought is: Two galaxies colliding, (one smaller than the other)
That's right! :D Although I'm not sure if one of the galaxies used to be smaller than the other - the wreck is so complete that the individual parts are hard to tell apart...
Clue Two. Fireworks. Huge bright display of short duration.
- (a)Thought one: starburst from two galaxies colliding/merging
That's right! :D Although the most intense starburst may very well be over by now... I didn't say it isn't...
- (b) Second thought: supernova, linked to 1(b) above
That's right! :D
Clue Three. Mmm. That looks very like one of the rectangle supernovae remnants we've seen on Apod. But you said in a later post that it has been mentioned on a not very conspicuous thread... So not the Red Rectangle.
That's right. No red rectangle. Forget about the rectangular shape, too. I just wanted a single light surrounded by darkness, and I didn't want the light to be to be a candle. This was the best I could do.
Clue Four. April 11. Mmmm! I actually searched your posts for that date this year, Ann! I drew a blank.
- then I put it into number form in the day/month style of 1104 and looked up NGC 1104. ! Nope - zero.
My post is not from April 11, but a lot more recent. As a matter of fact, it is from this week! But April 11 is still a date and not an NGC number.

Go on sleuthing, Margarita! :D

Ann
Color Commentator