Hubble Heritage: Galaxy Cluster Abell 68

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Hubble Heritage: Galaxy Cluster Abell 68

Post by bystander » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:32 pm

The Amazing Things One Finds in the Hubble Archive
Hubble Heritage | 2013 Mar 05
In mid-2012, the ESA Hubble office out of Garching Germany promoted a contest entitled "Hubble's Hidden Treasures" where people were encouraged to peruse the Hubble archive and snap an interesting photo of something that the telescope observed. An advanced part of the contest even allowed folks to use multi-wavelength data to create their own color image. Nick Rose won 9th place in the Image Processing Category for this amazing composite of Abell 68.

The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope is one of the most powerful available to astronomers, but sometimes it too needs a helping hand. This comes in the form of Einstein's general theory of relativity, which makes galaxy clusters act as natural lenses, amplifying the light coming from very distant galaxies.

Abell 68, pictured here in infrared light, is one of these galaxy clusters, and it greatly boosts the power of Hubble, extending the telescope's ability to observe distant and faint objects. The fuzzy collection of blobs in the middle and upper left of the image is a swarm of galaxies, each with hundreds of billions of stars and vast amounts of dark matter.

The effect of this huge concentration of matter is to deform the fabric of spacetime, which in turn distorts the path that light takes when it travels through the cluster. For galaxies that are even further away than the cluster — which is already at the impressive distance of two billion light-years — and which are aligned just right, the effect is to turn galaxies that might otherwise be invisible into ones that can be observed with relative ease.

Although the resulting images projected to us of these distant galaxies are typically heavily deformed, this process, called gravitational lensing, is a hugely valuable tool in cosmology, the branch of astronomy which deals with the origins and evolution of the Universe.

These distorted images of distant galaxies are a particularly fine example of this phenomenon. In the middle of the image are a large number of galaxies stretched out into almost straight streaks of light that look like shooting stars. Meanwhile, just above and to the right of the large, bright elliptical galaxy in the upper left of the image is a spiral galaxy whose apparent shape has been stretched and mirror-morphed into the shape of an alien from the classic 1970s computer game Space Invaders! A second, less distorted image of the same galaxy appears to the left of the elliptical galaxy.

Another striking feature of the image, albeit one unrelated to gravitational lensing, is the galaxy in the top right corner of the image. What appears to be purple liquid dripping from the galaxy is a phenomenon called ram pressure stripping. The gas clouds within the galaxy are being stripped out and heated up as the galaxy passes through a region of denser intergalactic gas.

This image comes from the infrared channel of Hubble's Wide Field Camera 3, combined with near-infrared observations from the Advanced Camera for Surveys. This offers a modest taste of the kind of images that will come from the forthcoming James Webb Space Telescope, which is scheduled for launch in 2018. Infrared images are particularly useful for studying very distant objects whose light is redshifted into the infrared by the expansion of the Universe, as well as for peering through dust clouds which are opaque to visible light. The Webb telescope will produce images which are sharper than Hubble's infrared images, but more importantly, it will be much more sensitive, thanks to its advanced sensors and larger primary mirror.

Credit: NASA, ESA, and the Hubble Heritage Team (STScI/AURA)-ESA/Hubble Collaboration
Acknowledgment: Nick Rose
Gravitational telescope creates space invader mirage
ESA/HEIC Hubble Photo Release | heic1304 | 2013 Mar 05
Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
Gravitational Lens Creates Cartoon of Space Invader
NASA/STScI HubbleSite News Release | STScI-2013-09 | 2013 Mar 05

Hubble Sees 'Space Invader' Image
NASA Image of the Day | 2013 Mar 05

Gravitational Lens Creates Cartoon of Space Invader
NASA | STScI | Hubble Space Telescope | 2013 Mar 05

NASA Finds a Space Invader
Universe Today | Nancy Atkinson | 2013 Mar 05

Hubble Spies a Space Invader
Slate Blogs | Bad Astronomy | 2013 Mar 05
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Hubble Heritage: Galaxy Cluster Abell 68

Post by Beyond » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:22 pm

WOW! That's all sorts of interesting :!: :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:16 pm

Beyond wrote:WOW! That's all sorts of interesting :!: :yes:
This is what seriously fascinates me, in the top right corner.
heic1304 wrote:Another striking feature of the image, albeit one unrelated to gravitational lensing, is the galaxy in the top right corner of the image. What appears to be purple liquid dripping from the galaxy is a phenomenon called ram pressure stripping. The gas clouds within the galaxy are being stripped out and heated up as the galaxy passes through a region of denser intergalactic gas.
I've not heard of this phenomenon before.

As Beyond said - this image is all sorts of interesting!
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:51 am

The Astrophysical Journal, 662:781-796, 2007 June 20]/b]

A Statistical Study of Multiply Imaged Systems in the Lensing Cluster Abell 68.

The purpose of this paper is to illustrate the promise of such surveys by examining spectroscopically the rich population of lensed sources located in the lensing cluster Abell 68 ( α = 00h37m06.81s,  δ = +090924.0 (J2000.0), z = 0.255)
The paper is organized as follows. In § 2, we describe the various observpations and the reduction of the spectroscopic data. We present in § 3 the strong-lensing constraints, in the light of the redshifts and identification of new multiply imaged systems. Section 4 presents a mass model of the cluster from which the source magnifications are deduced. The physical properties of the various categories of high-redshift LAEs are presented in § 5, and the implications are discussed in the context of the limitations of blank-field surveys in § 6. We summarize our conclusions in § 7.

http://iopscience.iop.org/0004-637X/662 ... .text.html

I was interested in knowing more about this galaxy cluster - including its exact coordinates.

I presume that α means RA and δ, Declination?
I've not come across this before. :?:

Margarita

PS. I see from the discussion on the astronomy picture of the day for March 8th that the coordinates are correct but the designation of the constellation is not. Presumably thousands of astronomers will have emailed Hubble.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:29 am

PS. As I am an inveterate busy-body and pedant, I emailed Hubble at the email given at
http://heritage.stsci.edu/commonpages/i ... actus.html
but got a 'no such user' failure message and my email returned.

M