Apod Dec 26 (black hole) - RJN or someone?

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
makc
Commodore

Apod Dec 26 (black hole) - RJN or someone?

Post by makc » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:08 am

Though this APOD is awesome piece of digital art, it is very far from how black hole would really look like.

I've seen so-called "blak hole pictures" on APOD site before, and I don't understand why so misleading and non-even-close images are published on astronomy sites over and over, and specially APOD. Perheps, in the digital art scene there is too little astronomy knowledge, but professional astronomist site ?...
Last edited by makc on Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wondering

Um..

Post by Wondering » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:10 pm

Can you provide a link to an English language site for what a black hole SHOULD look like?

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:45 am

The image from my above post is now wide-spread over the net, and is actually loosely cropped version of this image (see below) by J.P.Luminet; on one of his site pages you can find older, original computer-simulated image.

(image removed - it's in post quote below)

P.S.: I suggest you to contact the author for his best image and publish it on APOD.
Last edited by makc on Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

crosscountry
Ensign

Post by crosscountry » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:25 pm

that's awsome thanks for the links.

makc wrote:The image from my above post is now wide-spread over the net, and is actually loosely cropped version of this image (see below) by J.P.Luminet; on one of his site pages you can find older, original computer-simulated image.

P.S.: I suggest you to contact the author for his best image and publish it on APOD.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:42 pm

makc (it's me, really)

Post by makc (it's me, really) » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:01 pm

FYI: you have a broken link there http://www.astro.rug.nl/~psackett/NVWS/index.html (404)

also,
on that APOD you wrote:In fact, near the black hole, you can see the whole sky - light from every direction is bent around and comes back to you.
but you image does not show that... well, image above does not project stars correctly, on the other side, but it shows light halo around it (see your own quote).

makc
Commodore

Tried to PM this, didn't worked out, message stuck in outbox

Post by makc » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:33 pm

I'm trying to derive light path equation from (A1) at http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/htmltest/gi ... endix.html

From what I have

it follows that there is circular orbit at any radius, which is wrong. Where is my mistake?

Thanx.