APOD: Space Station Lookout (2013 Apr 10)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Space Station Lookout (2013 Apr 10)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:06 am

Image Space Station Lookout

Explanation: If you glanced out a side window of the International Space Station, what might you see? If you were Expedition 34 flight engineer Chris Hadfield, and you were looking out one of windows of Japan's Kibo Research Module on February 26, you might have seen the above vista. In the distance lies the darkness of outer space and the blueness of planet Earth. Large ISS objects include long solar panels that stretch diagonally from the upper left and the cylindrical airlock of the Pressurized Module that occupies the lower right. Numerous ports and platforms of the space station are visible and labeled on an annotated companion image. Of particular note is what looks to be a washer - dryer pair toward the image left, which are really NASA's HREP (near) and JAXA's MCE (far) research platforms. The gold foil covered experiment in the rear of HREP is the Remote Atmospheric and Ionospheric Detection System (RAIDS) that monitors atmospheric airglow, while MCE includes the Global Lightning and Sprite Measurements (JEM-GLIMS) instrument that monitors atmospheric electrical discharges. The current Expedition 35 crew is now commanded by Colonel Hadfield and scheduled to stay aboard the space station until May.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Moonlady
Selenian

Re: APOD: Space Station Lookout (2013 Apr 10)

Post by Moonlady » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:21 am

The upper right part shows definitley some big buildings on a platform, the R-ORUs look like living and working places while the EFUs look like keeping fuel and other resources
for this place. The VE in the right corner looks like the bridge of this space station. They have another one at the left side.
In the middle of the platform is a round building with a high antenna, apparently the harbor for incoming and departing space ships.
You can also see that there are people in space suits, driving around in some high advanced vehicles there.
At the left you can see two other round buildings, HREP and MCE. HREP looks like an adventure them park, where as MCE must be some kind of a spa-hotel.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:55 am

Knock, Knock....HEY!!! I AM STILL OUT HERE!!!!! HELLO???????? :shock:

Nice View. Like the labels.

:---[===] *

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 am

Boomer12k wrote:
Knock, Knock....HEY!!! I AM STILL OUT HERE!!!!! HELLO???????? :shock:
HAL: "EFU" (Meaning, of course, that if you are both lonely & outside then you must be an Exposed Facility Unit.)
Art Neuendorffer

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Moonlady wrote:... HREP looks like an adventure them park, where as MCE must be some kind of a spa-hotel.
Just cross-linking - those looking for even more detailed information than the above errr.... nice description :wink: might want to start from here :

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 93#p196562

Vincent

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 pm

neufer wrote: HAL: "EFU" (Meaning, of course, that if you are both lonely & outside then you must be an Exposed Facility Unit.)
Ooops sorry did not pay attention to Art's link...

2nd useless post in 5 minutes :lol2:

neufer

FULKE U(nderhill)

Post by neufer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Vincent wrote:
neufer wrote:
HAL: "EFU" (Meaning, of course, that if you are both lonely & outside then you must be an Exposed Facility Unit.)
Well, things are pretty quiet here anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://tinyurl.com/cr87a69]Park Honan: _Shakespeare: A Life_ - Page 238[/url] wrote:
<<An existing copy of the Latin 'fine' of May 4, 1597 assigns to Shakspere a MESSUAGE with two barns & *2 gardens* . William UNDERHILL, who lived part of the year at Idlicote, was a Catholic recusant who appeared to Stephen Burman to be 'CRAFTY'. Two months after the sale, UNDERHILL was killed by HIS SON FULKE, then a legal minor, to whom he had orally bequeathed his lands. UNDERHILL died at Fillongley near Coventry on July 7, 1597. As a result, New Place was forfeited to the state for felony, and FULKe was hanged for murder in 1599. The crime kept his right to the house insecure until the victim's 2nd son Hercules UNDERHILL came of age in 1602.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frodo_Baggins wrote:
<<Frodo Baggins is referred to by several names and titles. On leaving the Shire he uses the alias 'Mr Underhill'.>>
Art Neuendorffer

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 pm

It interests me that there appears to be a definite connection between extra-terrestrial activities and domestic appliances....

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 25#p195603

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 59#p197057
Of particular note is what looks to be a washer - dryer pair toward the image left
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130410.html

Do we have lots of failed electrical-goods sales-people forced into the boring workaday world of astro-physics by careers advisors who lacked soul and vision... :?:

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Vincent wrote:
neufer wrote: HAL: "EFU" (Meaning, of course, that if you are both lonely & outside then you must be an Exposed Facility Unit.)

NOT USELESS! :D Thanks for posting this link, Vincent - I hadn't realised that Art's was to this very informative thread. It makes the Apod much more interesting once I can easily read what all the initials stand for!

M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Yet another post seems a bit OTT, but having just read thru Vincent's marvellous post on the other thread, I feel I MUST share this,:-)

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 93#p196562
Other inflatable structures have also been successfully deployed, but are not visible on this picture. Among them is the Inflatable Space Terrarium, that must not only deploy, but also demonstrate sufficient air tightness over long term (several months) with no active pressure control, to allow for germination of some seeds (spinach, tomato...) Only temperature is controlled through switching a halogen lamp on and off. Some water is fed to a foam material containing the seeds, and germination is observed with a camera.
Everybody else probably KNEW that the ISS did splendid things like that - but I didn't!
Vincent - you REALLY know your ISS! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Margarita, could you please splain OTT a bit :?: Thank-a-you. It seems to be an odd word.
Last edited by Beyond on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Yeah, it's impressive. It is remarkably difficult to find information on all the specific parts of Kibo.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:25 pm

geckzilla wrote:Yeah, it's impressive. It is remarkably difficult to find information on all the specific parts of Kibo.
Try this, geckzilla. It has lottsa links. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stati ... s/jem.html
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Beyond wrote:Margarita, could you please splain OTT a bit :?: Thank-a-you. It seems to be an odd word.
Oh, so sorry, Beyond! :oops:

I dislike unexplained initials myself, so should have known better - but I didn't realise that OTT wasn't used worldwide.
It stands for Over The Top - as in 'excessive' or 'extravagant'.
Margarita

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Beyond wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Yeah, it's impressive. It is remarkably difficult to find information on all the specific parts of Kibo.
Try this, geckzilla. It has lottsa links. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stati ... s/jem.html
Yeah, that's all pretty general stuff. The exposed facility with specifics is what was needed for this APOD.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:28 am

geckzilla wrote:
Beyond wrote:
Yeah, that's all pretty general stuff. The exposed facility with specifics is what was needed for this APOD.
I'll just add my "few penn'orth" (=penny-worth) more here: reading through the thread in which Vincent gave all the details about the ISS specifics was enlightening in showing me some of the detailed background work that goes on in bringing Apods about, in this case involving RJN and Geckzilla as well as Vincent.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!
Margarita
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 93#p193972 for more details.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:59 am

HREP in the explanation is not defined so I have done a search of the NASA website and found this:- "The Hyperspectral Imager for the Coastal Ocean (HICO) and Remote Atmospheric and Ionospheric Detection System (RAIDS) Experiment Payload (HREP) consists of two instruments. The HREP-RAIDS is an experiment designed to perform a comprehensive study of naturally occurring airglow emissions in the upper atmosphere". So HREP apparently stands for "Experiment Payload", or could it be "Hyperspectral Remote Experiment Package" :?: I'm confused (easily done :) ) and would be grateful for any help to definitely state what HREP stands for.

neufer

HR-ump?

Post by neufer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:07 am

DavidLeodis wrote:
HREP in the explanation is not defined so I have done a search of the NASA website and found this:- "The Hyperspectral Imager for the Coastal Ocean (HICO) and Remote Atmospheric and Ionospheric Detection System (RAIDS) Experiment Payload (HREP) consists of two instruments. The HREP-RAIDS is an experiment designed to perform a comprehensive study of naturally occurring airglow emissions in the upper atmosphere". So HREP apparently stands for "Experiment Payload", or could it be "Hyperspectral Remote Experiment Package" :?: I'm confused (easily done :) ) and would be grateful for any help to definitely state what HREP stands for.
HREP-RAIDS Experiment Payload sounds good to me.
Art Neuendorffer

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Re: HR-ump?

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 am

neufer wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:
HREP-RAIDS Experiment Payload sounds good to me.
Thanks neufer for that rapid response suggestion, which is appreciated, though I'm still confused. :)

It does irritate me when an acronym is used in an explanation but it is not defined. :roll:

neufer

Re: HR-ump?

Post by neufer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:37 am

DavidLeodis wrote:
neufer wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:
HICO-RAIDS Experiment Payload sounds good to me.
Thanks neufer for that rapid response suggestion, which is appreciated, though I'm still confused. :)

It does irritate me when an acronym is used in an explanation but it is not defined. :roll:
As I am confused when I post too early in the morning.

I had really meant to say: "HICO-RAIDS Experiment Payload sounds good to me" and that
that was what I thought you were basically implying with your "Hyperspectral Remote Experiment Package"
Art Neuendorffer