APOD: Horsehead: A Wider View (2013 May 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Re: APOD: Horsehead: A Wider View (2013 May 03)

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Sat May 04, 2013 2:14 pm

geckzilla wrote:This is the only forum I visit where English usage is a common topic beyond simple your/you're corrections. There are entire APOD threads which have been almost entirely compromised due to some detailed analysis of what is grammatically correct.
There are entire APOD threads that have been enriched by some detailed analyses of what is grammatically correct. :ssmile:
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat May 04, 2013 2:23 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:
geckzilla wrote:This is the only forum I visit where English usage is a common topic beyond simple your/you're corrections. There are entire APOD threads which have been almost entirely compromised due to some detailed analysis of what is grammatically correct.
Could we therefore usefully have a separate Grammar thread, into which such posts could go? Or be moved by administrators?
Threads sometimes naturally flow into other topics and it's not nice to split it in the absence of another conversation going on in parallel within the same thread. So, yes, sometimes it's appropriate and other times it's not.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Sat May 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:... English is incredibly fluid, incredibly versatile, and what is "right" is determined purely by common usage.
Fluid and versatile, yes. But it's an overstatement to say that a description of how most people speak or write is the only way to decide what is correct. Prescriptive grammar still has its advocates and its benefits, as someone who has pointed out the subtle difference between "more elliptical" and "more eccentric" might recognize. :wink:

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Anthony Barreiro wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:... English is incredibly fluid, incredibly versatile, and what is "right" is determined purely by common usage.
Fluid and versatile, yes. But it's an overstatement to say that a description of how most people speak or write is the only way to decide what is correct. Prescriptive grammar still has its advocates and its benefits, as someone who has pointed out the subtle difference between "more elliptical" and "more eccentric" might recognize. :wink:
One can certainly argue for a particular usage that provides greater clarity. But the bottom line remains: for English, what is correct is determined by usage. I'd wager that was is considered correct these days by even the most pedantic speakers would have been considered incorrect or unusual at some point in the past.

We can use our own usage in an effort to create change, as well. In most cases, I avoid using Latin plurals, and in astronomy I avoid using Latin genitives. This goes against the most common convention, but isn't strictly wrong... and perhaps my choice of usage will push the language a little in a different direction.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat May 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Data is grates, and I'd edit that is were I editing text which used it.

If usage is what connotes what is correct, then Chris, your use of the English language is wildly incorrect where I live. I would not argue for the lowest common denominator here!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 04, 2013 3:37 pm

owlice wrote:Data is grates, and I'd edit that is were I editing text which used it.

If usage is what connotes what is correct, then Chris, your use of the English language is wildly incorrect where I live. I would not argue for the lowest common denominator here!
I wouldn't argue for the lowest common denominator, either. I argue for the greatest clarity. Usually, but not always, that is achieved through consensus usage. In some cases ("data" is a good example) there is no consensus. Nor is it always the case that there is just one usage that is "correct".

(Which particular usage of mine are you considering "wildly incorrect"?)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Sat May 04, 2013 3:42 pm

bystander wrote:[attachment=0]Horsehead_of_a_Different_Color.jpg[/attachment] Here you go ed, a "horsehead of a different color" avatar.
Thanks! I needed a new head!
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat May 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:(Which particular usage of mine are you considering "wildly incorrect"?)
I don't consider any of your usage wildly incorrect, but if you're going with "usage makes it correct," you'd have to pretty much give up noun-verb agreement and other such orthodoxies to fit in here. And standard spelling, too.

(More times than I would have liked -- I'd have preferred zero -- I had to correct the spelling lists my son brought home from school. These lists were typed and could easily have been spell-checked by the computer, but were they? Noooooooo!)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 04, 2013 4:22 pm

owlice wrote:I don't consider any of your usage wildly incorrect, but if you're going with "usage makes it correct," you'd have to pretty much give up noun-verb agreement and other such orthodoxies to fit in here. And standard spelling, too.
Well, to be more precise, I'm not arguing that a single person using English in an unorthodox way automatically makes the usage correct. But more than in most languages, what is correct is ultimately determined by consensus, and that can shift very quickly. This is particularly true of English vocabulary, where not only are new words common, but old words shift into new meanings, or new forms (such as "data" being collective, or "party" being a verb).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Sat May 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:...

We can use our own usage in an effort to create change, as well. In most cases, I avoid using Latin plurals, and in astronomy I avoid using Latin genitives. This goes against the most common convention, but isn't strictly wrong... and perhaps my choice of usage will push the language a little in a different direction.
What do you call Eta Carinae, or any other star that is commonly referred to by its Bayer designation? Just curious.

I'm a bit of a language geek, and enjoy such things as subject-verb agreement and genitive possessives.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Anthony Barreiro wrote:What do you call Eta Carinae, or any other star that is commonly referred to by its Bayer designation? Just curious.

I'm a bit of a language geek, and enjoy such things as subject-verb agreement and genitive possessives.
Where the star name has fallen into common usage, like Alpha Centauri, I use the Latin form. In most other cases I don't. I usually refer to Eta Carina (although that one is a borderline case).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory