What kind of plant is this, please?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

What kind of plant is this, please?

Post by owlice » Fri May 17, 2013 2:43 am

I have no idea; am told it is fast-growing (in Maryland).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/teuben/8745679123/
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Moonlady
Selenian

Re: What kind of plant is this, please?

Post by Moonlady » Fri May 17, 2013 5:18 am

Looks like leaves of an an elm tree, family ulmaceae.

But the flowers cant be seen well and dont fit to elms.

The flowers could belong to a bradford pear tree, which is a rosaceae, that tree is also widely planted in north America and invasive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrus_calleryana

But that isnt easy to tell without seeing the flowers from top.

I hope it is a Donut Tree :tree: :doughnut: :chomp:

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri May 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks, Moonlady! I hope it is a doughnut tree, too; wouldn't that be lovely!!!

I thought originally beech or elm, but beech is slow-growing and the flowers don't match, and elm also doesn't have flowers like that. It's definitely not a Bradford pear; they are very common here, their leaves are different, and they are long past flowering. (My street is lined with them and when they drop their petals, usually all within a couple or three days, the petals can look like a light snowfall on the street. :-) )
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri May 17, 2013 1:11 pm

owlice wrote:
I thought originally beech or elm, but beech is slow-growing and the flowers don't match, and elm also doesn't have flowers like that. It's definitely not a Bradford pear; they are very common here, their leaves are different, and they are long past flowering. (My street is lined with them and when they drop their petals, usually all within a couple or three days, the petals can look like a light snowfall on the street. :-) )
Slippery Elm (Ulmus rubra) :?:
American hazelnut :?:
Zelkova/Cranberry :?: :?:

Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri May 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Reminds me of apple! Of course apples and pears are related to roses; so it also reminds me of rose leaves! :?
rose leaves.jpg
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 20, 2013 12:20 pm

It could be a variety of this family, Hydrangea macrophylla. Or maybe more likely this family, Hydrangea aspera.
The leaves look all right here, and not all flowers are as "full" as they are in this particular specimen.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon May 20, 2013 12:48 pm

Is any fruit ever produced? Could be a cherry tree. It's definitely not a hydrangea, doesn't look like an apple, and the flowers are just plain wrong for a slippery elm or hazelnut. You could have been slightly more specific than "plant" in your description. Is it a tall tree or a stout shrub?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer

Rubus?

Post by neufer » Tue May 21, 2013 2:27 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus
http://www.plantbio.uga.edu/herbarium/seshrubs/indiv%20pages/Rubus%20bifrons.htm wrote:
<<Rubus fruticosus: The plant is also known as cloudberry (in northern Europe) and dewberry (in the American South). In Britain, the same plant is usually called bramble, because of its prickly thorns, or brambles. Other names used are: Black Berry, Goutberry, Rubi Fruticosi (or Rubus fruticosus) Folium, Rubi Fruticosi Radix, Rubus affinis, Rubus plicatus, Thimbleberry. The blackberry grows on small, bushy vines. Each berry (or drupe) is a cluster of small, black fruits. The constituents of blackberry leaf include tannins. Blackberry is astringent and tonic, and has been used historically and in contemporary times for diarrhea, and for sore throat. Blackberry leaf has been used since the time of Christ as a mouth rinse for bleeding gums.>>
Art Neuendorffer

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: Rubus?

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue May 21, 2013 8:04 pm

neufer wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus
http://www.plantbio.uga.edu/herbarium/seshrubs/indiv%20pages/Rubus%20bifrons.htm wrote:
<<Rubus fruticosus: The plant is also known as cloudberry (in northern Europe) and dewberry (in the American South). In Britain, the same plant is usually called bramble, because of its prickly thorns, or brambles. Other names used are: Black Berry, Goutberry, Rubi Fruticosi (or Rubus fruticosus) Folium, Rubi Fruticosi Radix, Rubus affinis, Rubus plicatus, Thimbleberry. The blackberry grows on small, bushy vines. Each berry (or drupe) is a cluster of small, black fruits. The constituents of blackberry leaf include tannins. Blackberry is astringent and tonic, and has been used historically and in contemporary times for diarrhea, and for sore throat. Blackberry leaf has been used since the time of Christ as a mouth rinse for bleeding gums.>>
If it is blackberry, encourage it, despite the thorns, which are lethal! The fruit are delicious, especially cooked with apple in a pie or a crumble. Recipe available on request!
Margarita

PS. But looking back at Owlice's photo, the leaves look a slightly different shape. Owlice - can you get another photo, showing the leaf from above and also the flowers. I've got a Keble Martin concise British Flora, but haven't checked so far as you are not in Britain...
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue May 21, 2013 9:09 pm

I don't think it's blackberry. The leaf configuration for the blackberry shows groupings of three while the specimen in question does not. I looked some more at cherry tree flowers and looked closer at the photo and there's no way it's a cherry either. Little white flowers seem to be about as ambiguous a little brown birds.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed May 22, 2013 12:40 am

geckzilla wrote:
I don't think it's blackberry. The leaf configuration for the blackberry shows groupings of three while the specimen in question does not. I looked some more at cherry tree flowers and looked closer at the photo and there's no way it's a cherry either. Little white flowers seem to be about as ambiguous a little brown birds.
It still looks like a member of the wild rose family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodotypos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosoideae
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed May 22, 2013 11:00 am

I have a blackberry, and it is not like mine; but there are different species of them!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!