APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 2995
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby APOD Robot » Mon May 27, 2013 4:07 am

Image Bird Sun Dog

Explanation: Have you ever seen a little rainbow off to the side of the Sun? Rare but rewarding to see, such spectacles are known as sundogs, mock suns or parhelia. Sundogs are just sunlight refracting through hexagonal falling ice crystals in the Earth's atmosphere. When thin ice crystals flitter down nearly horizontally, they best refract sunlight sideways and create sundogs. Alternatively, randomly oriented ice crystals may create a complete circular sun halo. Sundogs occur 22 degrees to each side of a setting or rising Sun, although sometimes nearby clouds can block one or both. The above image was taken through a polarizing filter during October 2012 in Mérida, Spain.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

User avatar
alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound
Posts: 746
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:51 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby alter-ego » Mon May 27, 2013 5:49 am

In this case, I think a Sun Bird Dog is more suitable :lol2:
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

User avatar
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar
Posts: 1831
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 pm
Location: 28°16'7"N 16°36'20"W

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby MargaritaMc » Mon May 27, 2013 9:04 am

What bird is it? A goose, maybe?

Click to play embedded YouTube video.


Beautiful picture.
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2089
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby Boomer12k » Mon May 27, 2013 12:27 pm

Interesting picture...the gradation of color almost looks like a spectrum...

:---[===] *

pboyce
Asternaut
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby pboyce » Mon May 27, 2013 1:19 pm

It is a spectrum, of course. The ice crystals act as prism.
However, the explanation of th formation of a sun dog is incomplete. You get a bright spot (sun dog) when the 22 degree halo crosses and adds to the azimuthal arc which goes around the sky at the height of the sun above the horizon. The combination of the two gives the bright spot.

Wild Duck
Asternaut
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 2:08 pm

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby Wild Duck » Mon May 27, 2013 2:16 pm

The bird flying in today's APOD (May 27) is a white pelican.

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby Beyond » Mon May 27, 2013 2:43 pm

In identifying waterfowl, i hate to go against someone with the title "Wild Duck", but if that's a white Pelican, then it's lost it's beak. It does look like a wild goose, though.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13274
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby Chris Peterson » Mon May 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Beyond wrote:In identifying waterfowl, i hate to go against someone with the title "Wild Duck", but if that's a white Pelican, then it's lost it's beak. It does look like a wild goose, though.

It's a bit hard to tell. If you assume the bird is flying to the left, it does look a lot like a goose. But if you see it flying from left to right, it appears to be pelican. I'm leaning towards the latter, myself.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby Beyond » Mon May 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Beyond wrote:In identifying waterfowl, i hate to go against someone with the title "Wild Duck", but if that's a white Pelican, then it's lost it's beak. It does look like a wild goose, though.

It's a bit hard to tell. If you assume the bird is flying to the left, it does look a lot like a goose. But if you see it flying from left to right, it appears to be pelican. I'm leaning towards the latter, myself.

Flying left to right :?: I don't have the means to reverse it's flight, so I'm stuck with the goose going to the left. :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Brem2

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby Brem2 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:54 pm

I'd say a Heron flying to right. Geese don't fly alone, no Pelicans in Spain.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13274
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby Chris Peterson » Mon May 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Beyond wrote:Flying left to right :?: I don't have the means to reverse it's flight, so I'm stuck with the goose going to the left. :mrgreen:

I'm sticking with a pelican flying to the right. What you are seeing as the goose's neck I'm seeing as the pelican's tail. What you are seeing as the goose's tail, I'm seeing as the pelican's bill.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
stephen63
Science Officer
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:53 am
Location: Pa

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby stephen63 » Mon May 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Mérida is pretty far inland. It might be a pelican that is lost! Maybe an egret of some sort?

Edit:
Egret_FlightStudy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8640
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby geckzilla » Mon May 27, 2013 4:13 pm

I agree with you, stephen. Even though it's possible that it could be a pelican, the legs are so long. An egret fits the profile much better.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

braspet

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby braspet » Mon May 27, 2013 4:30 pm

It has the exact profile of Great Blue Heron which have been seen in Spain.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13274
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby Chris Peterson » Mon May 27, 2013 4:38 pm

geckzilla wrote:I agree with you, stephen. Even though it's possible that it could be a pelican, the legs are so long. An egret fits the profile much better.

Yes, an egret is a good suggestion. Heron, egret, pelican- all birds with big bills or keels, and legs extending behind them. Assuming, of course, we see the bird flying towards the right...
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby Beyond » Mon May 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Beyond wrote:Flying left to right :?: I don't have the means to reverse it's flight, so I'm stuck with the goose going to the left. :mrgreen:

I'm sticking with a pelican flying to the right. What you are seeing as the goose's neck I'm seeing as the pelican's tail. What you are seeing as the goose's tail, I'm seeing as the pelican's bill.

After i read your post, i looked at the picture with a magnifying glass. Sho-nuff, it's one of them long legged wading birds flying to the right, with it's legs up behind it. Couldn't make out a tail, but there's gotta be one there somewhere.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13274
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby Chris Peterson » Mon May 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Beyond wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Beyond wrote:Flying left to right :?: I don't have the means to reverse it's flight, so I'm stuck with the goose going to the left. :mrgreen:

I'm sticking with a pelican flying to the right. What you are seeing as the goose's neck I'm seeing as the pelican's tail. What you are seeing as the goose's tail, I'm seeing as the pelican's bill.

After i read your post, i looked at the picture with a magnifying glass. Sho-nuff, it's one of them long legged wading birds flying to the right, with it's legs up behind it. Couldn't make out a tail, but there's gotta be one there somewhere.

I said "tail", but was really talking about tail and legs together. Tail as in the tail end, which with many of these birds in flight is mainly the legs.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby rstevenson » Mon May 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Pixelator to the rescue, though the image isn't very HiDef to start with. Here's the boid in question, rendered at 300%...

heripelicrane.jpg

I have just one question: can a bird's wing tips ever point towards the front, as the near one seems to be doing?

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14417
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby neufer » Mon May 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Image
Brem2 wrote:
I'd say a Heron flying to right.
Geese don't fly alone, no Pelicans in Spain.

Heron... or stork :arrow:
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14417
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby neufer » Mon May 27, 2013 5:24 pm

rstevenson wrote:
I have just one question: can a bird's wing tips ever point towards the front, as the near one seems to be doing?

http://naturalandalus.blogspot.com/2010 ... stork.html
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar
Posts: 1831
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 pm
Location: 28°16'7"N 16°36'20"W

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby MargaritaMc » Mon May 27, 2013 6:13 pm

I've just come back to the board to discover that there has been such an informative discussion about the breed of bird!
It didn't occur to me that it could be a heron(ish) bird flying to the right rather than an unusually lonesome goose flying to the left.

By the way - not a stork: look at the Apod and you'll see that the neck is retracted, as in the photo Stephen posted (what was that a photo of, Stephen?)
Herons (including egrets, which are a related species) fly like that, I dimly remember. Storks and cranes fly with necks extended. As in the photo Art posted.
Margarita

PS. Not a pelican! - beak on the Apod bird not huge enough
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8640
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby geckzilla » Mon May 27, 2013 6:39 pm

The bird is certainly flying with anterior facing to the right side of the photo. The wrist is clearly visible and is the most important detail for determining this:

Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby rstevenson » Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 pm

neufer wrote:
rstevenson wrote:
I have just one question: can a bird's wing tips ever point towards the front, as the near one seems to be doing?

http://naturalandalus.blogspot.com/2010 ... stork.html

Thanks Art. Such a flexible thing, a wing.

Rob

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby Beyond » Mon May 27, 2013 9:56 pm

rstevenson wrote:
neufer wrote:
rstevenson wrote:
I have just one question: can a bird's wing tips ever point towards the front, as the near one seems to be doing?

http://naturalandalus.blogspot.com/2010 ... stork.html

Thanks Art. Such a flexible thing, a wing.

Rob

That Art, he doesn't say much, but he sure articifies a lot of allusions. :yes: :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Re: APOD: Bird Sun Dog (2013 May 27)

Postby DavidLeodis » Tue May 28, 2013 11:48 am

In the explanation it states the image was taken "during October 2012". For added interest I like to know the actual date that an APOD image was taken, so I got the image's Exif data from the properties of the APOD image and in that data it states "Create Date 2009:08:23" but also "Modify Date 2013:05:07". I am wondering therefore where the "during October 2012" comes from? I appreciate that date/time settings on camera may not be accurate but August 2009 and October 2012 is a lot of difference!


Return to “The Bridge: Discuss an Astronomy Picture of the Day”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests