Question by a novice

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Cloudgazer
Ensign

Question by a novice

Post by Cloudgazer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi! I just registered today for the first time and have yet to find the "post a topic" sign for something related to a sighting I had, with photos to show, of a rolling cloud in South Africa last month. Can someone enlighten me? I can read all the posts I like and do everything else except see how I can add my grain of salt, let alone upload a photo (I have 3 to show) of the phenomenon.
Thanks for playing instructor for me!
Cloudgazer

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Question by a novice

Post by neufer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Cloudgazer wrote:Hi! I just registered today for the first time and have yet to find the "post a topic" sign for something related to a sighting I had, with photos to show, of a rolling cloud in South Africa last month. Can someone enlighten me? I can read all the posts I like and do everything else except see how I can add my grain of salt, let alone upload a photo (I have 3 to show) of the phenomenon.
Cloudgazer
Hi Cloudgazer,

Go to : http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 25#p200445

Scroll down to "POSTREPLY" and hit it.

Scroll down to "Upload attachment" and hit it.

Art (not really an instructor but I play one on TV) Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:35 pm

The Asterisk* and its inhabitants are not responsible for any knocked over monitors due to funny instructions given by Art (not really an instructor but I play one on TV) Neuendorffer.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:10 pm

But if you are looking to add a grain of salt, you won't get saltier than Neufer

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:13 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
But if you are looking to add a grain of salt, you won't get saltier than Neufer
"Yarr, I don't know what I'm doin'."
Art Neuendorffer

Cloudgazer
Ensign

APOD: A Roll Cloud Over Uruguay (2013 Jun 02)

Post by Cloudgazer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:36 am

Not having heard about roll clouds until the APOD crossed my way, I now know that I did have a sighting on 14th of May this year in South Africa, precisely from my garden in the George area/Southern Cape. Being an amateur photographer with a simple digital camera I still believe that the 3 photos I took could be interesting on the subject?
Sorry, but I don't find the "Upload attachments" option - what do I do with these images now?
Can someone enlighten me?
Cloudgazer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: APOD: A Roll Cloud Over Uruguay (2013 Jun 02)

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:42 am

Sorry Cloud, try it now. I have attachments turned off for newly registered users just in case pesky spammers come and decide to post images which are not family friendly.

Cloudgazer
Ensign

Post by Cloudgazer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks geckzilla - will do! No fear though of ever finding anything spammy or otherwise irregular in my posts ...

Cloudgazer
Ensign

Post by Cloudgazer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:53 am

Here then 3 images of the roll cloud as found near George/S. Africa on 14th of May - better results could have been obtained by a better camera (which I actually bought since then, but will probably have to wait 20 years until the next phenomen comes up):

Cloudgazer
Ensign

Post by Cloudgazer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:57 am

Trying again with one single attachment of the roll cloud - see if I get lucky.

Cloudgazer
Ensign

Post by Cloudgazer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 am

For geckzilla: I've tried three times in a row to upload from my Desktop but no image shows in my post. The Upload option was available (thank you) but the entered pictures do not end up in my post - I'll try to add one here in my reply to you if you don't mind ...

Okay, will try again with reduced size:
Attachments
IMG_0765.jpg

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Cloudgazer wrote:Hi! I just registered today for the first time and have yet to find the "post a topic" sign for something related to a sighting I had, with photos to show, of a rolling cloud in South Africa last month. Can someone enlighten me? I can read all the posts I like and do everything else except see how I can add my grain of salt, let alone upload a photo (I have 3 to show) of the phenomenon.
Cloudgazer
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=20507
The above link is to a thread with advice on using Bulletin Board Code. I found it a great help to read through it carefully when I first joined this forum.
Margarita
PS There is a thread in which new members can introduce themselves at this link
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=24535
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Cloudgazer
Ensign

Post by Cloudgazer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Hmmm, now I see what kind of a crowd I joined - don't know if I am sharp-witted enough to take the flak and still drop a bomb.
Give me time, especially since I am not writing in my mother tongue. I also think that I need to look for an avatar ....

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Cloudgazer wrote:
Hmmm, now I see what kind of a crowd I joined - don't know if I am sharp-witted enough to take the flak and still drop a bomb.

Give me time, especially since I am not writing in my mother tongue. I also think that I need to look for an avatar ....
Joe Btfsplk :?: :wink:
Art Neuendorffer

Cloudgazer
Ensign

Post by Cloudgazer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Oh NOOOO, that's just about a portrait of myself - can't use that. I am desperately trying to reduce my chosen avatar to 6Kb, so far without success. I can't seem to get under 100Ks, so again: give me time ...

Cloudgazer
Ensign

Post by Cloudgazer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:36 pm

From Cloudgazer to Cloudgazer ... sorry, but I don't know how else to go about this: to add an avatar to my profile how on earth do I get a photo down to 6Kb and still SEE something? I am working with iPhoto and am totally lost since I cannot possibly get anything seeable under 100Kb. Any ideas by someone out there?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Cloudgazer wrote:From Cloudgazer to Cloudgazer ... sorry, but I don't know how else to go about this: to add an avatar to my profile how on earth do I get a photo down to 6Kb and still SEE something? I am working with iPhoto and am totally lost since I cannot possibly get anything seeable under 100Kb. Any ideas by someone out there?
When i did my avatar, i did it through a free on-line program. All i had to do was deposit the photo and give the dimensions, and a few seconds later i had it.
Unfortunately, i don't remember where it's at, IF it's still available.
But if you google something like -free avatar sizing-, you may find it.

Also, IF you've read the rules of the Asterisk* that RJN posted, you'll see that once you've hit 500 posts, you are Officially declared to be insane.
So don't forget... you must follow the rules, or one of the Administrators may ship you off to the QE2 asteroid to do laps around it, until you come into compliance.
So read the rules, have fun and always be polite, even while dropping bombs :!:
Have a very nice week!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Cloudgazer wrote:From Cloudgazer to Cloudgazer ... sorry, but I don't know how else to go about this: to add an avatar to my profile how on earth do I get a photo down to 6Kb and still SEE something? I am working with iPhoto and am totally lost since I cannot possibly get anything seeable under 100Kb. Any ideas by someone out there?
Shrink it to 80px by 80px and save as jpg
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Cloudgazer
Ensign

APOD: A Roll Cloud Over Uruguay (2013 Jun 02)

Post by Cloudgazer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Well, I have to thank you for a very human answer to my query even though I don't know what sort of inhabitants Beyonder Land breeds: humans? I shall take your advice and check out Google. Maybe I even find something among Apple's software suppliers. Sometime in the near future, when you see a picture next to my name, you'll know that I have graduated ... I promise to abide by the rules since the punishment for not doing so seems a bit extreme! You too enjoy the rest of the week!

Cloudgazer
Ensign

Post by Cloudgazer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:35 pm

I think this shrinking method might be my first approach to get the picture up there - it might just work in spite of my rather rudimentary knowledge of these matters. Thanks for trying to help! Next I would follow Beyond's advice which makes a lot of sense also.
If I sign up for any other forum however (my interests are manifold enough) I'll never get off the computer. I get bleary-eyed already after a couple of hours ....

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Haha, if you give up, you can email a pic to me (click the mail icon under my name) if you'd like and I'll put it up for you. I'm guessing you'd rather learn how to do it yourself, though.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:27 pm

You've got lots of advice re the avatar. Just one more - I've got a free program called Reduce Photo Size on my Android tablet.
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS