APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4528
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:05 am

Image All of Mercury

Explanation: For the first time, the entire surface of planet Mercury has been mapped. Detailed observations of the innermost planet's surprising crust have been ongoing since the robotic MESSENGER spacecraft first passed Mercury in 2008 and began orbiting in 2011. Previously, much of the Mercury's surface was unknown as it is too far for Earth-bound telescopes to see clearly, while the Mariner 10 flybys in the 1970s observed only about half. The above video is a compilation of thousands of images of Mercury rendered in exaggerated colors to better contrast different surface features. Visible on the rotating world are rays emanating from a northern impact that stretch across much of the planet, while about half-way through the video the light colored Caloris Basin rotates into view, a northern ancient impact feature that filled with lava. MESSENGER has now successfully completed its primary and first extended missions.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 20837
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by bystander » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:09 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:20 am

Nice Vid... :D

:---[===] *

Stendec

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by Stendec » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:25 am

This is interesting, but during the first 3 seconds and the last 3 seconds of the video a section comes into view at the top of the picture which shows an obvious gap in the photo montage. It seems that this video does not represent the completed mapping spoken of in the article.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9158
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:48 am

Stendec wrote:This is interesting, but during the first 3 seconds and the last 3 seconds of the video a section comes into view at the top of the picture which shows an obvious gap in the photo montage. It seems that this video does not represent the completed mapping spoken of in the article.
Looks to me more like that particular part is in black and white and hence did not receive any color emphasis.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

madtom1999
Ensign
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:21 am

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by madtom1999 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:02 am

That was horrible - it looked like jelly or Jupiter with all the bits rotating and slipping.

User avatar
Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:40 pm
Location: Md

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:54 am

madtom, I'm not sure what you mean by 'all the bits rotating and slipping'...?
The video shows planet Mercury rotating. What exactly do you mean by 'slipping'? Maybe your video player needs updating...? Just a thought/suggestion.

I found the video very interesting, if a bit fast. Is that so it mimics the actual speed that Mercury spins?

:wink:
Forget the box, just get outside.

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 7102
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:12 am

Neat video; I liked it! 8-) :D :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :yes:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

saturno2
Commander
Posts: 707
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by saturno2 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:26 am

Very good video
It is the product of thousands images
The surface of Mercury is different than others planets of
Solar System

User avatar
stephen63
Science Officer
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:53 am
Location: Pa

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by stephen63 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Stendec wrote:This is interesting, but during the first 3 seconds and the last 3 seconds of the video a section comes into view at the top of the picture which shows an obvious gap in the photo montage. It seems that this video does not represent the completed mapping spoken of in the article.
That's not a gap. That's where the underground explosion occurred on April 1st. Part of the planet was blown into space. :lol2:

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by Beyond » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:31 pm

I like the 'exaggerated' colors. It gives it Pizzazz :!:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Skytreker
Asternaut
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:45 am

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by Skytreker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 pm

That's great, but can we have in in normal color please?

User avatar
stephen63
Science Officer
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:53 am
Location: Pa

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by stephen63 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Skytreker wrote:That's great, but can we have in in normal color please?
Google
http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/multimedia/ ... IM_ID=7543

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
Posts: 2524
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am
AKA: Bruce
Location: East Idaho

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Indigo_Sunrise wrote: I found the video very interesting, if a bit fast. Is that so it mimics the actual speed that Mercury spins?
I too found the video’s rotation rate far too fast to really enjoy taking in Mercury’s features. And the vid’s speed has nothing to do at all with Mercury’s rotation rate. Mercury has the 2nd slowest planetary rotation rate in the solar system (after Venus). It’s sidereal rotation period is 58.6 days, or about 2/3rds of its 88 day long year.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Bill RSaturn Galaxy

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by Bill RSaturn Galaxy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Is there anything showing Earth in a similar manner. I wonder what we would see if we saw Earth rendered in exaggerated colors to better contrast different surface features? Great video. I like it almost as much as the one from a few years back that showed Earth's moon shift through its phases.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9158
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Bill RSaturn Galaxy wrote:Is there anything showing Earth in a similar manner. I wonder what we would see if we saw Earth rendered in exaggerated colors to better contrast different surface features? Great video. I like it almost as much as the one from a few years back that showed Earth's moon shift through its phases.
It's arguable that you wouldn't want Earth's surface features exaggerated because it is already so interesting. Seeing it in its natural, unadulterated state would probably be preferable to many. Looking at mercury is sort of like looking at our moon except it doesn't even have those familiar maria which we imagine to be many things. It's no wonder someone chose to emphasize the colors to help Mercury's naturally indiscernible features pop out and become apparent.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18738
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:12 am

geckzilla wrote:
It's arguable that you wouldn't want Earth's surface features exaggerated because it is already so interesting. Seeing it in its natural, unadulterated state would probably be preferable to many. Looking at mercury is sort of like looking at our moon except it doesn't even have those familiar maria which we imagine to be many things. It's no wonder someone chose to emphasize the colors to help Mercury's naturally indiscernible features pop out and become apparent.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16315
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:19 am

geckzilla wrote:
Bill RSaturn Galaxy wrote:Is there anything showing Earth in a similar manner. I wonder what we would see if we saw Earth rendered in exaggerated colors to better contrast different surface features? Great video. I like it almost as much as the one from a few years back that showed Earth's moon shift through its phases.
It's arguable that you wouldn't want Earth's surface features exaggerated because it is already so interesting. Seeing it in its natural, unadulterated state would probably be preferable to many. Looking at mercury is sort of like looking at our moon except it doesn't even have those familiar maria which we imagine to be many things. It's no wonder someone chose to emphasize the colors to help Mercury's naturally indiscernible features pop out and become apparent.
For the whole Earth, I'd agree (although multichannel Earth observation satellites usually portray things in rather garish colors). But locally, aerial and satellite imagery of the Earth are enhanced the same way all the time. Geologists do it to distinguish the makeup of areas of sand and rock. Archaeologists do it to detect subsurface artifacts. Ecologists do it to enhance plant structure in forests.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9158
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by geckzilla » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:59 am

Garish colors? You don't say! I hated this image so much that I downloaded the largest format available and tinkered with the individual channels. I got it looking a lot better aesthetically and gave the vegetation (red) greater depth by assigning it a color gradient and overlaying it on top of the other two which I converted to RGB with pseudogreen much like HLA processing but in the end conceded defeat because the cost was losing color distinction between water and man made structures. Geck 0, Pros 1
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18738
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:16 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
  • Romeo and Juliet Act 3, Scene 2
JULIET: Come, gentle night, come, loving, black-brow'd night,
  • Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
    Take him and cut him out in little stars,
    And he will make the face of heaven so fine
    That all the world will be in love with night
    And pay no worship to the garish sun.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by Beyond » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:21 am

geckzilla wrote: Garish colors? You don't say! I hated this image so much that I downloaded the largest format available and tinkered with the individual channels. I got it looking a lot better aesthetically and gave the vegetation (red) greater depth by assigning it a color gradient and overlaying it on top of the other two which I converted to RGB with pseudogreen much like HLA processing but in the end conceded defeat because the cost was losing color distinction between water and man made structures. Geck 0, Pros 1
As the Rolling Stones sing... "You can't always get what you want." That applies to :ninja: geckos also. :yes: :mrgreen: :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Stendec

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by Stendec » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:07 am

Upon closer examination I concur that the area I mentioned in my previous post has some craters and is merely uncolored. I also noticed two or three other uncolored areas. I plead presbyopia. (Or I can think of some other excuse if you don't like that one.)

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by Beyond » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:47 am

That excuse works well for me. I don't have the foggiest idea what it means, and I'm tooo lazy to look it up. :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18738
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:27 pm

Beyond wrote:
Stendec wrote:
Upon closer examination I concur that the area I mentioned in my previous post has some craters and is merely uncolored. I also noticed two or three other uncolored areas. I plead presbyopia. (Or I can think of some other excuse if you don't like that one.)
That excuse works well for me.

I don't have the foggiest idea what it means, and I'm tooo lazy to look it up. :lol2:
And you call yourself "far-sighted." :roll:
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: All of Mercury (2013 Jun 12)

Post by Beyond » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:00 pm

neufer wrote:
Beyond wrote:
Stendec wrote:
Upon closer examination I concur that the area I mentioned in my previous post has some craters and is merely uncolored. I also noticed two or three other uncolored areas. I plead presbyopia. (Or I can think of some other excuse if you don't like that one.)
That excuse works well for me.

I don't have the foggiest idea what it means, and I'm tooo lazy to look it up. :lol2:
And you call yourself "far-sighted." :roll:
:lol2: , eggzackly, i think.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.