APOD: APOD Turns Eighteen (2013 Jun 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Re: APOD: APOD Turns Eighteen (2013 Jun 16)

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:20 pm

A slightly belated happy birthday to apod, and thanks to the contributors, editors, and translators for the beautiful images and informative explanations!

If I'm calculating correctly, Starship Asterisk* will celebrate its ninth birthday next month.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:36 pm

Anthony Barreiro wrote:If I'm calculating correctly, Starship Asterisk* will celebrate its ninth birthday next month.
Correct. The join date for the default admin account coincides with the moment the forum was done installing for the first time.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Jauregui

Post by Jauregui » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:38 pm

Congratulations APOD team! I enjoy your daily picture since 1999.

Kadaitcha_Man
Ensign

Post by Kadaitcha_Man » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:49 am

Well...as much as I would like to formulate a colourful (i.e. 'colorful' to all our antipodean participants in good ol' U.S. of A.) response with all spectacular bells and whistles complimentary to this anniversary, I hope my simple "Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou to all you developers of APOD" is sufficient to enhance the very well deserved atmospherics...correction: Astropherics...of appreciation visitors to this site undoubtedly bear. Three Cheers for APOD!

mjsailing

Post by mjsailing » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Happy Belated Birthday!
I can't get to APOD every day but I do love it so and have shared your link with may friends and acquaintances. You asked "how many can you identify?' I don't know, but I did immediately recognize the APOD of the Aurora (green pic in the middle on the "film reel")!!! I printed a copy of this one for me and it holds a spot on my wall above my desk. Besides being absolutely stunning and enthralling - it remindes me when I am in my office to check the new APOD! Thanks for all the great years and spectacular images. mj

Ben Holt

Post by Ben Holt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:36 pm

My wife and I, both Nasa earth scientists, greatly enjoy APOD and just want to say, way to go and keep it going for another 18 years and more.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:33 am

Thank you for all the wonderful insights!!! happy birthday!