APOD: Milky Way Over Crater Lake with Airglow (2013 Jun 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Milky Way Over Crater Lake with Airglow (2013 Jun 19)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:11 am

Image Milky Way Over Crater Lake with Airglow

Explanation: How many different astronomical phenomena have come together to create the above vista? Several. First, in the foreground, is Crater Lake -- a caldera created by volcanism on planet Earth about 7,700 years ago. Next, inside the lake, is water. Although the origin of the water in the crater is melted snowfall, the origin of water on Earth more generally is unclear, but possibly related to ancient Earthly-impacts of icy bodies. Next, the green glow in the sky is airglow, light emitted by atoms high in the Earth's atmosphere as they recombine at night after being separated during the day by energetic sunlight. The many points of light in the sky are stars, glowing by nuclear fusion. They are far above the atmosphere but nearby to our Sun in the Milky Way Galaxy. Finally, the bright arch across the image is the central band of the Milky Way, much further away, on the average, than the nearby stars, and shaped mostly by gravity. Contrary to appearances, the Milky Way band glows by itself and is not illuminated by the airglow. The above image is a six-frame panorama taken during about two weeks ago in Oregon, USA.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: APOD: Milky Way Over Crater Lake with Airglow (2013 Jun

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:14 am

Here's a big version of the annotated image if anyone is interested. It took me 5 hours to figure out which stars were which... :doh:
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:27 am

That, is a very nice picture!!
Would framing it in dull black make it seem just a bit brighter?
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:01 am

Thanks for annotating the big image, Geckzilla. This picture has been taken with a technique that brings out a lot of stars but does not enhance the brightest ones, so indeed, figuring out which stars are which is extremely difficult.

Ann
Color Commentator

Willy
Ensign

Post by Willy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:39 am

Today's APOD is of unwordly beauty, a magical view...

Thanks Geckzilla, the big version came in perfect for my Spanish version of the APOD.

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:46 am

geckzilla wrote:Here's a big version of the annotated image if anyone is interested. It took me 5 hours to figure out which stars were which... :doh:
A very nice job, geckzilla. I enjoy doing that myself, and they do take time. It would have taken you even longer without some nice landmarks (skymarks :!: :?: ) to work from.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:35 am

Another image from my home state...I have stood around to the right, the parking lot for the lodge is around that way. Wizard Island would be on the left from that view. You can feed Chipmunks. :D

I do not call Volcanism an Astronomical Phenomena. Geological, not Astronomical. But the Earth's formation, and the Earth itself as a planet are....If you get picky....not all those stars are "nearby" the Sun at all....and the Milky Way....shaped..."mostly by gravity"....really?...what is the other influence on its shape???? The arching here is actually the perspective of the sky and panorama shot....I think.

So, it is kind of like that 4 planets at sundown picture from the other day...trick question....

The air glow looks cool though....Alien Green.... 8-)

Beautiful View...and a picture does NOT do it justice.

:---[===] *

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:21 pm

geckzilla wrote:Here's a big version of the annotated image if anyone is interested. It took me 5 hours to figure out which stars were which... :doh:
You must know the stars and constellations like the back of your hand by now!
Excellent work by the photographer and yourself :)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:00 pm

Boomer12k wrote:I do not call Volcanism an Astronomical Phenomena. Geological, not Astronomical...
Knowledge is knowledge. But the way we categorize it can get fuzzy at times. When we study volcanism on Io or Mars, is that astronomy or geology (and can you even have geoology when your not on γῆ?)

It is useful for those studying volcanism- whether on Earth or on other bodies- to have a grounding both in aspects of geology and astronomy. Of course, you're correct that terrestrial volcanism and tectonics are primarily thought of as geological sciences, but in the big picture, what happens on Earth is just an example of what's going on everywhere else, and that seems more like astronomy- especially in the context of the Connections-like format of today's APOD caption.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:19 pm

stephen63 wrote:You must know the stars and constellations like the back of your hand by now!
Excellent work by the photographer and yourself :)
Not really. I'm terrible at memorization. I remember what they generally are (lizard, dolphin, little fox, etc) but not their specific configurations. Looking at the night sky I can pick out Orion, the two dippers, and Pleiades. The only thing I could even spot right off in this photo was Andromeda. I'm jealous of John, though. I'd much rather take the photo(s) than draw lines on it.

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Outstanding work bringing the Universe to us mere mortals. And knowing Andromeda has a way to go before arrival is conforting. Thank you for annotating the image.
Wolf Kotenberg

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Any idea why the two areas of red on each horizon at the Milky Way band? I suspected the more prominent on the left to be sunset but why the other on the right? :?:
Make Mars not Wars

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:19 pm

APOD Robot wrote:How many different astronomical phenomena have come together to create the above vista? Several. ...
There are also supernova remnants, usually called "trees."
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:
Any idea why the two areas of red on each horizon at the Milky Way band?
I suspected the more prominent on the left to be sunset but why the other on the right? :?:
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 65#p180341
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:Any idea why the two areas of red on each horizon at the Milky Way band? I suspected the more prominent on the left to be sunset but why the other on the right? :?:
It's light pollution. We're looking east around midnight. The azimuth's are nearly perfect for the orange area on the left (north) to be the lights of Bend, OR (90 miles), and the area on the right (south) to be the lights of Reno, NV (260 mi). 260 miles is pretty far, but Reno is very bright. However, that light pollution could also be from Altamont and the other towns south of Klamath Lake, only about 50 miles away.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

fausto.lubatti
Ensign

Post by fausto.lubatti » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:52 pm

Wonderful image! :-)

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:
Any idea why the two areas of red on each horizon at the Milky Way band?
I suspected the more prominent on the left to be sunset but why the other on the right? :?:
260 miles is pretty far
It's light pollution. We're looking east around midnight. The azimuth's are nearly perfect for the orange area on the left (north) to be the lights of Bend, OR (90 miles), and the area on the right (south) to be the lights of Reno, NV (260 mi). 260 miles is pretty far, but Reno is very bright. However, that light pollution could also be from Altamont and the other towns south of Klamath Lake, only about 50 miles away.
260 miles is pretty far :!:

The horizon starts at 45,000 feet above Reno (versus only about a mile above Bend).

Code: Select all

Bend population           ~52,029
Klamath Falls population  ~20,840
Altamont population       ~19,257
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:37 pm

neufer wrote:260 miles is pretty far :!:

The horizon starts at 45,000 feet above Reno (versus only about a mile above Bend).
Allowing for an 8000 ft elevation at Crater Lake, and a 5000 ft elevation at Reno, I get the local horizon at the former projecting to just 9500 feet over the latter.

The distance is still large, and I'm inclined to believe that the light is from around Klamath, but it's not physically unrealistic that it could be light from Reno, as well.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:43 pm

For an image as nice as this, it's one of the better effects of light pollution. If I were Irish I might claim it to be a more imaginary glow. :lol2: Truly a Celestial rainbow of a different hue. I missed the picture from a year ago. It was equally dazzling and thought provoking. Thanks to all involved in their creation and deciphering.
Make Mars not Wars

Galaxian
Ensign

Post by Galaxian » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Willy wrote:Today's APOD is of unwordly beauty, a magical view...

Thanks Geckzilla, the big version came in perfect for my Spanish version of the APOD.
I've looked and looked but I can find no beauty in today's APOD. There is something oddly askew with my sense of aesthetics, and I mean no offence to the photographer and artist who clearly spent much time and effort in creating this image, but I find it untidy and ugly.
Sorry, but I do.
I can clearly see that it's a work of some considerable inspiration and skill but I sadly find myself not liking it.
I would really like this flaw in my taste explained as APOD is my homepage, the first thing I see when I open up any browser and usually thrills me greatly.
When I set up my sister's computers, I always add Firefox and I always set her homepage to APOD. (I also set the IE homepage to APOD, just in case she uses it.) She once thanked me and said it was the most beautiful and moving thing I had ever done to her machine for her. Usually I'd have agreed with her but not today.
Would anyone have any ideas as to why I find this Crater Lake image distasteful?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:59 pm

Galaxian wrote:Would anyone have any ideas as to why I find this Crater Lake image distasteful?
Aesthetics are personal. I seldom like images by Wally Pacholka or Rob Gendler. Both are very popular here. We like what we like, we dislike what we dislike. The nice thing about APOD is there's something for everyone. If today doesn't suit, it's only a few hours until tomorrow.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:33 pm

It's a nice composition but the texture of the sky is pretty rough. The long exposure necessary for imaging both the aurora and the Milky Way resulted in the stars being quite overexposed. That's why it's practically impossible to pick out any landmark constellations without the annotation. Do you think you would like it if the sky were smoother, Galax?

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:01 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:
260 miles is pretty far :!:

Allowing for an 8000 ft elevation at Crater Lake, and a 5000 ft elevation at Reno,
I get the local horizon at the former projecting to just 9500 feet over the latter.
  • You are assuming a sea level ( :?: ) horizon between the two:
http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm wrote:

Code: Select all

Altitude     sea level horizon    5000 ft. horizon    crater wall horizon
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
14500 ft.        147.6 miles        119.4 miles         98.8 miles  
 8000 ft.        109.6 miles         67.1 miles         ~3.0 miles
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
total distance:  257.2 miles        186.5 miles        101.8 miles
  • I was assuming an horizon defined by the other side of the crater wall.
Chris Peterson wrote:
The distance is still large, and I'm inclined to believe that the light is from around Klamath,
but it's not physically unrealistic that it could be light from Reno, as well.
Then we are both inclined to believe that the light is from around Klamath
(and that images by Wally Pacholka or Rob Gendler are not to our personal tastes).
Art Neuendorffer

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:03 am

this photo is exquisite and is my desktop pic now due to the fabulous blue and green colors and overall darkness of it which i like. kudo's to the creators. "Airglow"? never knew the phenomena existed.
It looks like an Aurora Borealis, in the middle. Is the Airglow only on the far right?

BILL WRIGHT

Post by BILL WRIGHT » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:09 am

Odd that the author of the text fails to mention the dark "clouds" that track the Milky Way, obstructing view of perhaps half of its stars. I think these literally are clouds, of interstellar dust and gas, probably cast off by supernovae. And maybe in the bright clouds toward the right end of the Milky Way the gas itself becomes luminous because of photoionization by X-rays from very bright young stars. But this is mostly amateur speculation.