APOD: Nova Delphini 2013 (2013 Aug 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Nova Delphini 2013 (2013 Aug 16)

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:57 am

Czernoo wrote:I have reviewed all the comments, still can't seem to find an definite hint of how long a typical nova such as this is supposed to stay extra-bright : days? weeks ? more ?

TIA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova#Development wrote:
The time taken for a nova to decay by 2 or 3 magnitudes from maximum optical brightness is used to classify a nova via its speed class. A fast nova will typically take less than 25 days to decay by 2 magnitudes and a slow nova will take over 80 days.[3]
Please note that Nova Delphinus will be quite faint when it has decayed by two magnitudes. It remains to be seen if this process is going to take about 25 or about 80 days!

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:19 am

http://www.universetoday.com/104192/update-on-the-bright-nova-delphini-2013-plus-a-gallery-of-images-from-our-readers/#more-104192 wrote: Update on the Bright Nova Delphini 2013;
by Nancy Atkinson on August 16, 2013

<<Since showing itself on August 14, 2013, a bright nova in the constellation Delphinus — now officially named Nova Delphini 2013 — has brightened even more. As of this writing, the nova is at magnitude 4.4 to 4.5, meaning that for the first time in years, there is a nova visible to the naked eye — if you have a dark enough sky. Even better, use binoculars or a telescope to see this “new star” in the sky.

The new nova is located in Delphinus alongside the familiar Summer Triangle outlined by Deneb, Vega and Altair. If you aren’t able to see the nova for yourself, there are a few online observing options:

The Virtual Star Party team, led by UT’s publisher Fraser Cain, will try to get a view during the next VSP, at Sunday night on Google+ — usually at this time of year, about 10 pm EDT/0200 UTC on Monday mornings.

The Virtual Telescope Project, based in Italy, will have an online observing session on August 19, 2013 at 20:00 UTC, and you can join astronomer Gianluca Masi at this link.

The Slooh online telescope had an observing session yesterday (which you can see here), and we’ll post an update if they plan any additional viewing sessions.

There’s no way to predict if the nova will remain bright for a few days more, and unfortunately the Moon is getting brighter and bigger in the sky (it will be full on August 20), so take the opportunity this weekend if you can to try and see the new nova.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Galaxian
Ensign

Post by Galaxian » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:52 pm

avogt wrote: Unfortunately since I am still learning how to take the photographs they are not as high quality as they could be.
If this is an example of you not at your best I *really* want to see what you do when you do better.
It's gorgeous. It's beautiful. It's a lovely image, thank you.
If you don't mind, I'm going to keep a copy for my collection of lovely astro-themed wallpapers that brighten up my machines.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:50 am

I have cleaned up the supernova talk. I don't know why that even happened. If it happens again I am going to put giant, obnoxious text up to make sure people check their understanding that nova ≠ supernova.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:05 pm

Czernoo wrote:I have reviewed all the comments, still can't seem to find an definite hint of how long a typical nova such as this is supposed to stay extra-bright : days? weeks ? more ?

TIA
Greetings Czernoo. I'm catching up on apod's after taking a few days off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova wrote:A fast nova will typically take less than 25 days to decay by 2 magnitudes and a slow nova will take over 80 days.[Reference:] Warner, Brian (1995). Cataclysmic Variable Stars. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-41231-5.

So I guess we'll have to wait and see on this one. By the way, Sky and Telescope has a great page for this nova, with daily updates, links to the AAVSO light curve, and a detailed sky chart to help you find it.

I've been enjoying watching this nova wax and wane, in spite of passing clouds and the bright Moon. A brand new nova! How exciting!
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Anthony Barreiro wrote:A brand new nova! How exciting!
Yeah... but it's not really super. :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:35 pm

What other kind of nova could their be? If it weren't new, it would be a malnova.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
What other kind of nova could their be? If it weren't new, it would be a malnova.
It could be a recurrent nova.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:03 am

Anthony Barreiro wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
It could be a recurrent nova.
An interesting question. If it's between outbursts, does it still qualify as a nova?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:32 am

Whoever named novas didn't put that much forethought into it. You could propose novas be renamed to something long, mundane, and more correct. In case you succeed, I think Neil has room in his bunker which protects him from rabid Pluto fans.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Kexing Delphini

Post by neufer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:24 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Whoever named novas didn't put that much forethought into it.
You could propose novas be renamed to something long, mundane, and more correct.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guest_star_%28astronomy%29 wrote:
<<In Chinese astronomy, the term "guest star" (ke xing 客星) refers to a star which has suddenly appeared visible in a place where no star had previously been observed and becomes invisible again after some time. The term is a literal translation from ancient Chinese astronomical records. Modern astronomy recognizes that guest stars are manifestations of cataclysmic variable stars: novae and supernovae. Still, the term "guest star" is still used in the context of ancient records, since the exact classification of an astronomical event in question is based on interpretations of old records, rather than on direct observations. In ancient Chinese astronomy, guest stars were one of the three types of "new stars", the other two being comets in modern understanding.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:An interesting question. If it's between outbursts, does it still qualify as a nova?
If it's been a long time since its last outburst, would it be an old nova? :doh:

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:56 pm

Anthony Barreiro wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:An interesting question. If it's between outbursts, does it still qualify as a nova?
If it's been a long time since its last outburst, would it be an old nova? :doh:
Exactly. A malnova.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Anthony Barreiro wrote:
Exactly. A malnova.
Hmm, that word is not listed in my American Heritage Dictionary, and it doesn't appear in any of the dictionaries on dictionary.reference.com . There is a definition for an Esperanto word malnova on wiktionary.org , but I don't think of either Esperanto or wiktionary as being standard references for English usage.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:13 am

Anthony, you have to keep in mind that Chris lives w-a-y up in Abominable Snowman country, where the air is thinner, and he has access to strange :o_O: (incredulous) words and stuff that go floating by, that we 'lower-dwellers' don't have any idea of, such as "malnova". :yes: :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.