APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3583
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:08 am

Image Strawberry Sun

Explanation: This striking, otherworldy scene really is a view from planet Earth. The ochre sky and strawberry red sun were photographed on August 22nd near the small village of Strawberry, California, USA. Found along Highway 108, that location is about 30 miles north of the origin of California's large Rim Fire, still threatening areas in and around Yosemite National Park. The extensive smoke plumes from the wildfire are easily visible from space. But seen from within the plumes, the fine smoke particles suspended in the atmosphere dim the Sun, scattering blue light and strongly coloring the sky.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by Boomer12k » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:25 am

Interesting effect...too bad it has to be from such a tragic and terrible cause....

:---[===] *

Uwe

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by Uwe » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:05 am

I know it is cynical, but I've come to the (wrong) expression that interesting pictures like this can be taken every year in this area. Are there any thoughts given or means spend to fire prevention at all? Or is it more effective to simply wait until there is (obviously very soon) no tree left? Reminds me of the high water prevention here in Germany, which shows the same null effect.

nstahl
Science Officer
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:08 am

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by nstahl » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:31 am

For decades too much thought and effort was made to prevent fires, leaving a century's worth of fuel on the forest floor. That fuel should have been disposed of in more frequent, small fires. And of course global warming with the hotter, drier summers in the west, is involved. We must work on that or this kind of view could become a Lot more common.

saturno2
Commander
Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by saturno2 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:04 pm

Beautiful image

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 4843
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:17 pm

I hope the fires go out soon! The picture is nice!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8967
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by geckzilla » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Uwe wrote:I know it is cynical, but I've come to the (wrong) expression that interesting pictures like this can be taken every year in this area. Are there any thoughts given or means spend to fire prevention at all? Or is it more effective to simply wait until there is (obviously very soon) no tree left? Reminds me of the high water prevention here in Germany, which shows the same null effect.
Fire prevention in the US's major forests was too successful. As nstahl wrote above it's left them very vulnerable. The trees and animals living in those areas are adapted to surviving the natural cycle of forest fires. In fact, some pine trees rely on the heat of a fire to open their cones up so that a new generation of trees can be born, though I'm not sure that one of those species is in the Rim Fire area.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
LocalColor
Science Officer
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:11 pm
Location: Central Idaho, USA

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by LocalColor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:04 pm

What most people have forgotten (or not learned) is that the First Americans set fires to "manage" the land, gleaned firewood for cooking and heating. The "park like" forests that the first Europeans saw were due to thousands of years of "management". Now we lock up the land and call it wilderness, and the fires we have now with the huge buildup of fuels sterilizes the land and affects the local climate. Snow melts faster due to lack of tree cover. Rain causes flash floods that scours the streams down to bedrock and pours silt into the rivers.

We are also having fires in central Idaho, several fires in the wilderness are being allowed to burn. This is what the sun looked like from here on August 9th.

http://local-color.smugmug.com/Working/Recent/i-CgMnkJf

Otdoorsey

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by Otdoorsey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:30 pm

"Otherworldy?" Obviously the writer of the description doesn't spend much time outdoors.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8967
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by geckzilla » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:35 pm

LocalColor wrote:What most people have forgotten (or not learned) is that the First Americans set fires to "manage" the land, gleaned firewood for cooking and heating. The "park like" forests that the first Europeans saw were due to thousands of years of "management". Now we lock up the land and call it wilderness, and the fires we have now with the huge buildup of fuels sterilizes the land and affects the local climate. Snow melts faster due to lack of tree cover. Rain causes flash floods that scours the streams down to bedrock and pours silt into the rivers.

We are also having fires in central Idaho, several fires in the wilderness are being allowed to burn. This is what the sun looked like from here on August 9th.

http://local-color.smugmug.com/Working/Recent/i-CgMnkJf
Well, it probably does need to be locked up and our national parks are certainly wilderness. I think there are a lot of good people doing their best to keep them that way, fire management failure aside. They're isolated enough that some people figured that out and started growing large marijuana farms within. So some meadow gets destroyed so that humans can have their pot. Anyway, I've never heard of indians intentionally setting fires or consciously managing the land, though. I figured their lifestyle didn't require putting any effort into such things.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8967
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by geckzilla » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Otdoorsey wrote:"Otherworldy?" Obviously the writer of the description doesn't spend much time outdoors.
Alternatively, he doesn't spend much time near forest fires. I think it's fair to say most people don't spend much time engulfed in smoke.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

John G. E.

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by John G. E. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Samuel Taylor Coleridge must have seen something like this image.

From The Rime of the Ancient Mariner:

All in a hot and copper sky,
The bloody Sun, at noon,
Right up above the mast did stand,
No bigger than the Moon.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16027
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by neufer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:34 am

John G. E. wrote:Samuel Taylor Coleridge must have seen something like this image.

From The Rime of the Ancient Mariner:

All in a hot and copper sky,
The bloody Sun, at noon,
Right up above the mast did stand,
No bigger than the Moon.
Except that that was the Rime Fire.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by Beyond » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:57 am

To 'e', or not to 'e'.
Without the 'e', the Rime is just a Rim, out on the edge somewhere, without Rime or reason.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Dustin M.

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by Dustin M. » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:32 am

For those who would like to learn about Fire ecology and Native American use of controlled forest fires. It's a good starting point. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ecology

stowaway
Ensign
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by stowaway » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:30 am

geckzilla wrote:
Otdoorsey wrote:"Otherworldy?" Obviously the writer of the description doesn't spend much time outdoors.
Alternatively, he doesn't spend much time near forest fires. I think it's fair to say most people don't spend much time engulfed in smoke.
I'm sorry to say I have spent entirely TOO much time engulfed in the smoke from the Rim Fire. I live in Carson City, Nevada which is just south of Reno and right in the middle of the river of smoke emanating northwards from the fire. It has been thick and heavy for about two weeks now. The Sun here looks like it does in the picture even though we are 75 miles from the fire. I haven't seen a blue sky or a normal cloud in all that time. I didn't know prevailing winds could be so consistent. It is becoming a health issue and shows no signs of letting up.

User avatar
fausto.lubatti
Ensign
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:43 am

Re: APOD: Strawberry Sun (2013 Aug 29)

Post by fausto.lubatti » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:06 am

A really beautiful shot!