APOD: Milky Way Over Spains Bardenas Reales (2013 Sep 02)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Milky Way Over Spains Bardenas Reales (2013 Sep 02)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:05 am

Image Milky Way Over Spains Bardenas Reales

Explanation: What's that below the Milky Way? First, across the top of the above image, lies the faint band that is our planet's sideways view of the central disk of our home Milky Way Galaxy. The Milky Way band can be seen most clear nights from just about anywhere on Earth with a dark sky. What lies beneath is, by comparison, is a much less common sight. It is the striking peak of Castildetierra, a rock formation located in Bardenas Reales, a natural badlands in northeast Spain. Standing 50 meters tall, the rock spire includes clay and sandstone left over from thousands of years of erosion by wind and water. The astrophotographer waited months for the sky to appear just right -- and then took the 14 exposures that compose the above image in a single night.

Before you respond: Yes, it's real. No, it's not Castildetierra, it's a different cabezo. Yes, we know what it looks like. :wink:

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Gage

Re: APOD: Milky Way Over Spains Bardenas Reales (2013 Sep 02

Post by Gage » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:19 am

Spiral galaxies are more or less planar. Why does the Milky Way appear severely curved in this image? I've seen this before but less pronounced I think.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:41 am

Gage wrote:Spiral galaxies are more or less planar. Why does the Milky Way appear severely curved in this image? I've seen this before but less pronounced I think.
It's a nice looking way to fit a 360 180 degree spherical view of the sky onto a plane.
Last edited by geckzilla on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: oops
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:50 am

So you are saying that the Milky Way would normally be a straight "line" (band) but the photographer used a special effect lens?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:56 am

Gage wrote:So you are saying that the Milky Way would normally be a straight "line" (band) but the photographer used a special effect lens?
Yes, it would be a straight line. You'd look in front of yourself and see the left side and then have to look more or less straight up* to see the center of the arc and then look behind yourself to see the right side.

Special effect lens, no. Wide angle, yes. Imagine yourself with your camera on its tripod and then rotating the camera a few degrees in one direction until you've taken several photos of the whole horizon. Then you take all those photos and composite them into a single panorama, usually with a special imaging program suited for such tasks.

* possibly way less depending on the date and location.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:27 am

Gage wrote:Spiral galaxies are more or less planar. Why does the Milky Way appear severely curved in this image? I've seen this before but less pronounced I think.
Why do he Earth's lines of longitude appear curved on most maps?

BTW, the Milky Way only looks linear to most people when it is high overhead. When it is lower it is obviously not parallel to the horizon, and our brains tend to treat the horizon as a straight line (although it doesn't project as a straight line on our retinas).

The photographer here made a deliberate aesthetic decision to constrain the horizon to a straight line in the final image (which does not usually happen automatically when you make a very wide field image). She could as easily have chosen to constrain the Milky Way to a line, which would have been just as accurate, but would also create a very different impression on the viewer.
milkyway_mrvila_2500_proj.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:30 am

that spire is rather phallic

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:31 am

Chris and Geckzilla: Thanks for the very informative responses, and esp for the photo.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:38 am

Guest wrote:that spire is rather phallic
It could be discretely called a monument to Jupiter.

drollere
Ensign

Post by drollere » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:32 am

it's pretty, but it needs some smurfs in it ... maybe some smurfs having a picnic.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:27 am

Wonderful shot...

Going to have to straighten out the Milky Way someday...somebody got it all bent...

ThePiper
Ensign

Post by ThePiper » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:22 am

Gage wrote:Chris and Geckzilla: Thanks for the very informative responses, and esp for the photo.

Yes - and, Gage, thanks for the good question.
The appearance of the Milky Way will - for ever -be stress and challenge for my tortured brain... :roll:
The worst scientific finding of mankind: "Everything points to eternal darkness being the ultimate fate of the Universe. Sorry about that." (cit. Chris L Peterson, APOD)

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:41 am

What an extraordinary object!
And what an extraordinary view to choose, when most other aspects do not make the pinnacle look so, how can I put this, male? I suppose that this was demanded by the direction to get the Milky Way centralised?
See: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=casti ... 24&bih=585

John

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:49 am

In ancient Greece, they talked about Father Sky and Mother Earth.

Looks like the other way round here. :wink:

Ann
Color Commentator

hownow

Post by hownow » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:58 am

And into Pegasus the Horse!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:32 am

Reminds me of Chimney Rock in western Nebraska! :D Image from wiki:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

I am a Nut!

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Ann wrote:
In ancient Greece, they talked about Father Sky and Mother Earth.

Looks like the other way round here. :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_(goddess) wrote:
[img3="The Sky Goddess Nut arched protectively over the Earth and all of its inhabitants. Nut was seen as a friend and protector of the dead, who appealed to her as a child appeals to its mother: "O my Mother Nut, stretch Yourself over me, that I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may not die." Nut was thought to draw the dead into her star-filled sky, and refresh them with food and wine: "I am Nut, and I have come so that I may enfold and protect you from all things evil." She was often painted on the inside lid of the sarcophagus, protecting the deceased. The vault of tombs often were painted dark blue with many stars as a representation of Nut."]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ss_nut.jpg[/img3]
<<Nut or Neuth (also spelled Nuit or Newet) was the goddess of the sky in the Ennead of Egyptian mythology. She was seen as a star-covered nude woman arching over the earth, or as a cow. Nut and her brother/husband, Geb, may be considered enigmas in the world of mythology. In direct contrast to most other mythologies which usually develop a sky father associated with an Earth mother (or Mother Nature), she personified the sky and he the Earth.

Nut is a daughter of Shu and Tefnut. Her name is translated to mean 'sky' and she is considered one of the oldest deities among the Egyptian pantheon, with her origin being found on the creation story of Heliopolis. She was originally the goddess of the nighttime sky, but eventually became referred to as simply the sky goddess. Her headdress was the hieroglyphic of part of her name, a pot, which may also symbolize the uterus. Mostly depicted in nude human form, Nut was also sometimes depicted in the form of a cow whose great body formed the sky and heavens, a sycamore tree, or as a giant sow, suckling many piglets (representing the stars).

A sacred symbol of Nut was the ladder, used by Osiris to enter her heavenly skies. This ladder-symbol was called maqet and was placed in tombs to protect the deceased, and to invoke the aid of the deity of the dead.

Ra, the sun god, was the second to rule the world, according to the reign of the gods. Ra was a strong ruler but he feared anyone taking his throne. When he discovered that Nut was to have children he was furious. He decreed, "Nut shall not give birth any day of the year." At that time, the year was only 360 days. Nut spoke to Thoth, god of wisdom, and he had a plan. Thoth gambled with Khonshu, god of the moon, whose light rivaled that of Ra's. Every time Khonshu lost, he had to give Thoth some of his moonlight. Khonshu lost so many times that Thoth had enough moonlight to make 5 extra days. Since these days were not part of the year, Nut could have her children. She had 5: Osiris, Horus the Elder, Set, Isis, and Nepthys. When Ra found out, he was furious. He separated Nut from her husband Geb for all eternity. Her father, Shu, was to keep them apart. Still, Nut did not regret her decision.

Nut was the goddess of the sky and all heavenly bodies, a symbol of protecting the dead when they enter the after life. According to the Egyptians, during the day, the heavenly bodies—such as the sun and moon—would make their way across her body. Then, at dusk, they would be swallowed, pass through her belly during the night, and be reborn at dawn.

Nut is also the barrier separating the forces of chaos from the ordered cosmos in the world. She was pictured as a woman arched on her toes and fingertips over the earth; her body portrayed as a star-filled sky. Nut’s fingers and toes were believed to touch the four cardinal points or directions of north, south, east, and west.>>
Art Neuthendorffer (separating the forces of chaos from the ordered cosmos)_

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Congratulations, Maria Rosa, for a splendid APOD!!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:38 pm

owlice wrote:Congratulations, Maria Rosa, for a splendid APOD!!
Yes, congratulations! Speaking of males - and it is hard not to do that when we look at your photo, Maria Rosa, as you know - but for me as a lover of astrophotography even though I am, unfortunately, a non-photographer myself - it is great to see all the wonderful astroimages posted by all those great male astrophotographers out there. I have to say, though, that it is really nice to see a great APOD taken by a woman, too!

Way to go, Maria Rosa! :-D :clap: :-D :clap: :-D :clap:

Ann
Color Commentator

Juantoday

Post by Juantoday » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Shouldn't this be southeastern rather than northeastern Spain?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Juantoday wrote:
The Bardenas Reales is a semi-desert natural region, or badlands, in southeast Navarre: an autonomous community in northern Spain.
Art Neuendorffer

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: BTW, the Milky Way only looks linear to most people when it is high overhead. When it is lower it is obviously not parallel to the horizon, and our brains tend to treat the horizon as a straight line (although it doesn't project as a straight line on our retinas).
Photoshop ain't got nothing on the human brain. :mrgreen:

Boomer12k

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:54 pm

Maybe all that Heavenly Glory turn him on... :D

Mizar
Ensign

Post by Mizar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 pm

It's good to see that there are still places in Europe dark enough to take images of this degree of detail of the galaxy.
JohnD wrote:What an extraordinary object!
And what an extraordinary view to choose, when most other aspects do not make the pinnacle look so, how can I put this, male? I suppose that this was demanded by the direction to get the Milky Way centralised?
Interesting to note also that this very phallic object at this particular angle, was chosen by a woman. :lol2:

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:04 am

neufer wrote:
Juantoday wrote:
The Bardenas Reales is a semi-desert natural region, or badlands, in southeast Navarre: an autonomous community in northern Spain.
Ah, thanks.