APOD: Roll Cloud Over Wisconsin (2013 Sep 08)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Roll Cloud Over Wisconsin (2013 Sep 08)

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:42 am

I have recently categorized all the APODs of this summer. Based on my classifications and the APODs that appeared between June 1, 2013, and September 6, 2013, I'd say that about 5% of all APODs show clouds in the Earth's daytime sky.

Ann
Color Commentator

CDA

Post by CDA » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:57 am

owlice wrote:
whowho wrote:
CDA wrote:Hey guys, isn't this supposed to be Astronomy? Earth weather isn't astronomy.
I'm a professional astronomer, and I do not agree with you. Earth is just another planet! But, we get a REALLY close up view, at MUCH lower cost than for the seven other planets!
This. Thank you!
Let's check the definition of astronomy, shall we? From Merriam-Webster: "the study of objects and matter outside the earth's atmosphere and of their physical and chemical properties"

Any questions?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:58 am

CDA wrote:
Let's check the definition of astronomy, shall we?

From Merriam-Webster:
  • "the study of objects and matter outside the earth's atmosphere and of their physical and chemical properties"
Let's check the definition of picture, shall we?

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913):

Picture, n. [L. pictura, fr. pingere, pictum, to paint: cf. F. peinture. See Paint.]
  • 1. The Art of painting; representation by painting.

2. A representation of anything (as a person, a landscape, a building) upon canvas, paper, or other surface, produced by means of painting, drawing, engraving, photography, etc.; a representation in colors.

3. An image or resemblance; a representation, either to the eye or to the mind; that which, by its likeness, brings vividly to mind some other thing; as, the man "CDA" is the picture of grief.
Art Neuendorffer

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:32 pm

It's a great image. The roll cloud reminded me of the trail of the meteor that travelled over parts of Russia a little while ago. Witnessing either event would pit the wind up me. Wow, if the roll cloud really was a meteor trail then there was about to be serious damage! :shock:

One query. Is Megan Hanrahan the same person as Pierre cb, as the information brought up on clicking the pierre cb link does not help? To add to my confusion, in the information brought up through the "Above image" link it state of the image "Author Eazydp" but the information from that name link states that Wikipedia does not have a user called Eazydp. :?

Edit added later on September 9 2013. Having just checked the APOD of August 31 2011 (the previous use of this image) I found that I had posted a query about the people on September 1 2011 and in a reply by a member using the discussion forum name of eazydp it stated “My wife is the actually photograph, this Pierre Cb person is actually not the photographer, but rather my wife". Megan therefore took the photo but it was uploaded to the Wikimedia Commons section of Wikipedia by 'Pierre cb'.
Last edited by DavidLeodis on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retto

Post by retto » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:21 pm

Psnarf wrote:I advocate the inclusion of such weather-related images. Astronomy is not all about phenomena outside our solar system or above the atmosphere. We need to take a look around down here once in a while. Images such as the above give us pause. I might not be a smart idea to open the observatory domes and expose the telescopes to the elements when a roll cloud is approaching (wait, that's two reasons, let me enter again) Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. Our two weapons are awe of the universe and telescope safety and weather we can't explain, like thunderstorms with gamma rays linking lightning bolts to the ionosphere,,,drat! that's three....
Actually the dictionary definition of astronomy is the physical universe beyond the earth's atmosphere. I'm not complaining, I like the variety of the photographs, but a lot of people made such a fuss about the elk in the forest fire not being astronomy, I thought I would put a plug in for diversity.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:40 pm

CDA wrote:Let's check the definition of astronomy, shall we? From Merriam-Webster: "the study of objects and matter outside the earth's atmosphere and of their physical and chemical properties"
I study meteors. I've never met an astronomer who considers that not to be astronomy, despite the fact that meteors are entirely an atmospheric phenomenon. Much of the interest in meteors stems from their origin outside the atmosphere, of course, but the best way we have of studying the parent bodies is not outside the atmosphere. Entire branches of astronomy- planetary astronomy, exobiology, meteoritics- are highly dependent on studying analogous or identical behavior on Earth. We often study what we cannot touch directly by examining that which we can.

While most of the Earth science images posted on APOD are not strictly astronomical, they display features that inform astronomy.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Eating the same meal day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day gets B-O-R-E-I-N-G. Diversity is NICE :!: The Asterisk* is a diverse place.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Huh?

Re: Roll on, roll off, Racine

Post by Huh? » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:32 pm

neufer wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Wax_Headquarters wrote:

<<Johnson Wax Headquarters in Racine, Wisconsin was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and constructed from 1936 to 1939. The building features Wright's interpretation of the streamlined Art Moderne style popular in the 1930s. The building features many curvilinear forms and subsequently required over 200 different curved "Cherokee red" bricks to create the sweeping curves of the interior and exterior. The mortar between the bricks is raked in traditional Wright-style to accentuate the horizontality of the building. The warm, reddish hue of the bricks was used in the polished concrete floor slab as well; the white stone trim and white dendriform :tree: columns create a subtle yet striking contrast. All of the furniture was designed for the building by Wright and it mirrored many of the building's unique design features. In the Great Workroom, the dendriform columns are 9 inches in diameter at the bottom and 18 feet in diameter at the top, on a wide, round platform that Wright termed, the "lily pad." >>
Art Moderne Neuendorffer
As was the case with many of FLW's flat roofed builings, it leaked like a seive

neufer

Wright is Rain in Racine

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:18 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
  • Wright is Rain in Racine.
Huh? wrote:
neufer wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Wax_Headquarters wrote:
<<Johnson Wax Headquarters in Racine, Wisconsin was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and constructed from 1936 to 1939. The building features Wright's interpretation of the streamlined Art Moderne style popular in the 1930s. The building features many curvilinear forms and subsequently required over 200 different curved "Cherokee red" bricks to create the sweeping curves of the interior & exterior. >>
As was the case with many of FLW's flat roofed buildings,
it leaked like a sieve
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:30 pm

neufer wrote:Art Moderne Neuendorffer
Wouldn't that be Neuveau Art :?:

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Beyond wrote:
neufer wrote:
Art Moderne Neuendorffer
Wouldn't that be Neuveau Art :?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Neuveau wrote:
<<Art Neuveau was most popular during 1890–1910. According to the philosophy of the style, Art should be a way of life. For many Europeans, it was possible to live in an Art Neuveau-inspired house with Art Neuveau furniture, silverware, crockery, jewellery, cigarette cases, etc. Artists desired to combine the fine Arts and applied Arts, even for utilitarian objects. Although Art Neuveau was replaced by 20th-century Modernist styles, it is now considered as an important transition between the eclectic historic revival styles of the 19th-century and Modernism.>>
Art Neuveau

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:20 pm

Huh? wrote:As was the case with many of FLW's flat roofed builings, it leaked like a sieve
That's because he used Morton Salt materials. When it rains, it pours. Even in builings. :mrgreen:

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Beyond wrote:
Huh? wrote:
As was the case with many of FLW's flat roofed builings, it leaked like a sieve
That's because he used Morton Salt materials. When it rains, it pours. Even in builings. :mrgreen:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_silicate wrote:
<<Calcium silicate is the chemical compound Ca2SiO4, also known as calcium orthosilicate and sometimes formulated 2CaO.SiO2. Calcium silicate is a white free-flowing powder derived from limestone and diatomaceous earth. Calcium silicate has a low bulk density and high physical water absorption and is used in roads, insulation, bricks, roof tiles, table salt and occurs in cements, where it is known as belite.

Morton Salt's motto, "When it rains it pours" (from 1911), were developed to illustrate the point that Morton Salt was free flowing even in rainy weather after the company began adding magnesium carbonate as an absorbing agent to its table salt in 1911 to ensure that it poured freely; calcium silicate is now used instead for the same purpose. It is used as an anti-caking agent in food preparation and an antacid. It is approved by the United Nations' FAO and WHO bodies as a safe food additive in a large variety of products.

Calcium silicate is commonly used as a safe alternative to asbestos for high temperature insulation materials. Industrial grade piping and equipment insulation is often fabricated from calcium silicate. One of the most successful materials in fireproofing in Europe is calcium silicate. High performance calcium silicate boards retain their excellent dimensional stability even in damp and humid conditions and can be installed at an early stage in the construction program, before wet trades are completed and the building is weather-tight.>>
Art Neuendorffer

sparrow300

Post by sparrow300 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:51 pm

Been down the last few days for some reason.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:02 pm

And I was afraid the yellow message box at the top of the forum was too overt...
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:09 pm

geckzilla wrote:And I was afraid the yellow message box at the top of the forum was too overt...
I think it needs some animated GIFs. Fireworks and dancing cats. And you might as well include a party horn, too.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
geckzilla wrote:And I was afraid the yellow message box at the top of the forum was too overt...
I think it needs some animated GIFs. Fireworks and dancing cats. And you might as well include a party horn, too.
I don't think that will be enough. :no:

sparrow300

Post by sparrow300 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks.

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:25 am

are roll clouds always massive like this in terms of overall length, because if they are not i think i seen one yesterday and was quite pleased with myself :-).
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?