Highest Resolution Photos Ever of the Night Sky

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
Psnarf
Science Officer

Highest Resolution Photos Ever of the Night Sky

Post by Psnarf » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:54 pm

"These images are also at least twice as sharp as what the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) can make because the 6.5m Magellan telescope is much larger than the 2.4m HST."
https://visao.as.arizona.edu/

They converted a 36" broken mirror into a 35.5" secondary mirror with complex adaptive optics that makes 1000 atmospheric corrections per second. The images are toward the blue end of the visible-light spectrum.

Here's a link to one of the papers coming from this new eyeball:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.4155

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Highest Resolution Photos Ever of the Night Sky

Post by geckzilla » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:34 pm

Nice, this image shows a comparison. I wonder if those are from a single image or if each inset had to be done separately?

Very curious to see a full color image. Maybe they should do their own version of the Pillars of Creation, which is arguably Hubble's most famous picture.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:33 am

geckzilla wrote:Nice, this image shows a comparison. I wonder if those are from a single image or if each inset had to be done separately?

Very curious to see a full color image. Maybe they should do their own version of the Pillars of Creation, which is arguably Hubble's most famous picture.
The information about this system is very misleading, IMO.

There is nothing revolutionary about the new camera, it is a fairly typical AO system, with some evolutionary improvements (in particular, a large number of modes and a design that works into the long end of the visible light range). It does not image in color. Like all AO systems, it is extremely narrow field (8 arcseconds square for the visible light camera) and requires a bright reference star (limiting R magnitude of 14) very close (< 8 arcsec) to the target (the system doesn't have an artificial guide star laser).

The wide field reference image was not produced by this instrument, and could not be. The inset images were produced from separate exposures through a red filter (the images themselves, although displayed with a red palette, are single channel, monochromatic). The wavelength range of the camera is 600-1050nm, so all the available filters are red or infrared. The resolution is very impressive, but this instrument isn't going to outperform Hubble for any but a very specific, short list of important science goals.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:46 am

It was obvious to me that the background image was the Hubble image included only for comparison and the insets were monochromatic and from the MagAO. With those sorts of limitations you listed, it seems a lot less exciting, though. Extremely narrow field of view. That's what I was curious about.

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:59 am

Exoplanet research?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:09 am

In other words... It fills a particular niche very well :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:22 am

stephen63 wrote:Exoplanet research?
Yes. Exoplanet atmospheres. Deep circumstellar imaging. Close binaries. In the Solar System, the surface of moons and asteroids. All very important and useful.

Comparing this with the HST is really a case of apples and oranges.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:35 am

I suppose you could look for Yet Another Pluto Moon with it.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:08 am

geckzilla wrote:
The problem with finding small moons of Pluto probably has less to do with high resolution
than it has with long exposures and a really dark background.

The examples shown here had only 60 second exposure times.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:22 am

60 seconds :?: Heck, streakers get more exposure time than that, especially if they can run fast. :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:36 am

neufer wrote:
geckzilla wrote:
The problem with finding small moons of Pluto probably has less to do with high resolution

No, I think it's more of a resolution issue. This thing is attached to a very big telescope. Pluto will saturate in seconds; even a dim moon wouldn't require a long exposure. Pluto itself would probably need to be occulted, but the camera has that capability. The problem is that Pluto isn't generally bright enough for the AO system's wavefront detector, so any search would need to be carried out while the planet was passing within a few arcseconds of a star brighter than mag 14.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:05 am

If Stellarium is accurate, 2014 May 9th at 00:00 is a time to look. A magnitude 13.3 star almost touches Nix 35 minutes prior to that. :)

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:14 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:
geckzilla wrote:

No, I think it's more of a resolution issue. This thing is attached to a very big telescope. Pluto will saturate in seconds; even a dim moon wouldn't require a long exposure. Pluto itself would probably need to be occulted, but the camera has that capability. The problem is that Pluto isn't generally bright enough for the AO system's wavefront detector, so any search would need to be carried out while the planet was passing within a few arcseconds of a star brighter than mag 14.
Pluto isn't tiny enough for the AO system's wavefront detector.

Nevertheless I stand by my statement:

geckzilla wrote:
NoelC wrote:
I know very well what the Hubble can produce...
Ah to have a couple of hours time on that beautiful machine to do some wideband RGB imaging...
You won't get much but noise in a couple of hours. :)

Edit to above statement: Actually, it would depend on what object you are looking at.
A bright object probably would only take a couple of hours.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:13 pm

neufer wrote:Pluto isn't tiny enough for the AO system's wavefront detector.
That is almost certainly true, although in principle you can use AO techniques with non-stellar references as long as you have knowledge of their true profile. But for anything non-stellar, the wavefront analysis becomes much more complex, and the correction rate would necessarily drop.
Nevertheless I stand by my statement:

Hubble images of Pluto saturate in about a second. The VisAO camera will probably saturate about an order of magnitude faster, so the exposure time for targeting shots will be no more than a few hundred milliseconds. Hubble collects high S/N images of Nix and Hydra with 8-minute exposures, so that would be about 1-minute exposures with the VisAO. The most recently discovered moons are about three magnitudes dimmer, so would require exposures some 16 times longer.

We're talking exposures well under an hour, which means that there shouldn't be a problem keeping a reference star in the field, and any moons should produce very little movement. So I hardly think sensitivity is an issue (although as I noted, an occulting disc would need to be used to prevent blooming around Pluto). The magnitudes of bodies in orbit around Pluto are nowhere near the limiting magnitude of the camera and telescope, so sky background isn't an issue. Finally, the camera employed is an EMCCD, which means it has no readout noise and can be operated at high (even video) frame rates. So if conditions or AO requirements dictate, an image can be summed from shorter exposures with little or no S/N penalty.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:
I stand by my statement:

Hubble images of Pluto saturate in about a second. The VisAO camera will probably saturate about an order of magnitude faster, so the exposure time for targeting shots will be no more than a few hundred milliseconds. Hubble collects high S/N images of Nix and Hydra with 8-minute exposures, so that would be about 1-minute exposures with the VisAO. The most recently discovered moons are about three magnitudes dimmer, so would require exposures some 16 times longer.

We're talking exposures well under an hour, which means that there shouldn't be a problem keeping a reference star in the field, and any moons should produce very little movement. So I hardly think sensitivity is an issue (although as I noted, an occulting disc would need to be used to prevent blooming around Pluto). The magnitudes of bodies in orbit around Pluto are nowhere near the limiting magnitude of the camera and telescope, so sky background isn't an issue. Finally, the camera employed is an EMCCD, which means it has no readout noise and can be operated at high (even video) frame rates. So if conditions or AO requirements dictate, an image can be summed from shorter exposures with little or no S/N penalty.
The next moons of Pluto will probably be at least another three magnitudes dimmer,
and so will require exposures at least 16 times longer still. (Advantage Hubble.)
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:12 pm

neufer wrote:The next moons of Pluto will probably be at least another three magnitudes dimmer,
and so will require exposures at least 16 times longer still. (Advantage Hubble.)
Why will they be three magnitudes dimmer? Why would that give Hubble an advantage? Three magnitudes dimmer is still within the limiting magnitude of ground based instruments.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:
The next moons of Pluto will probably be at least another three magnitudes dimmer,
Why will they be three magnitudes dimmer?
Because there is no trace of them currently.

(Unless Charon has companion Trojan moons the size of Nix or Hydra.)
Chris Peterson wrote:
Why would that give Hubble an advantage? Three magnitudes dimmer is still within the limiting magnitude of ground based instruments.
We're talking exposures well over an hour for ground based instruments, which means that there should be a problem keeping a reference star in the field, and moons probably would produce noticeable movement at hi-res.

The 6.5m Magellan telescope was clearly designed to resolve brighter stars using short exposures. If Charon has companion Trojan moons the size of Nix or Hydra then Magellan has the advantage.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:41 pm

neufer wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:Why will they be three magnitudes dimmer?
One magnitude would be enough for that. As would the presence of objects closer to Pluto.
We're talking exposures well over an hour for ground based instruments, which means that there should be a problem keeping a reference star in the field, and moons probably would produce noticeable movement at hi-res.
I don't think so. Pluto has a drift rate of about 1 arcsecond per hour, so it should be possible to keep a properly selected reference star in the field for as long as 16 hours. The known moons have orbital periods measured in days, so an exposure of several hours should not be a problem.
The 6.5m Magellan telescope was clearly designed to resolve brighter stars using short exposures.
The telescope was clearly not designed for such a narrow purpose! Neither is this accurate for the AO system or the VisAO camera. They are perfectly well suited to long exposures, as long as there is a bright reference star close to the target. It is only in the case where the target and the reference are the same that we see short exposures, as in the examples.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Why will they be three magnitudes dimmer?
One magnitude would be enough for that. As would the presence of objects closer to Pluto.
I grant that Hubble is at a distinct disadvantage for moons closer to Pluto (and for resolving features on Pluto).
Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:
I don't think so. Pluto has a drift rate of about 1 arcsecond per hour, so it should be possible to keep a properly selected reference star in the field for as long as 16 hours. The known moons have orbital periods measured in days, so an exposure of several hours should not be a problem.
Pluto currently has a "drift rate" of about 1 arcsecond per hour due to its own speed.

The retrograde drift rate (taking into account the Earth's speed) can be as much as 3 to 4 arcseconds per hour.
Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:
The 6.5m Magellan telescope was clearly designed to resolve brighter stars using short exposures.
The telescope was clearly not designed for such a narrow purpose! Neither is this accurate for the AO system or the VisAO camera. They are perfectly well suited to long exposures, as long as there is a bright reference star close to the target. It is only in the case where the target and the reference are the same that we see short exposures, as in the examples.
My guess is that the Magellan telescope takes a number of 1 minute exposures and only uses the shot where the atmospheric turbulence is at a minimum. I could be wrong.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:08 pm

neufer wrote:My guess is that the Magellan telescope takes a number of 1 minute exposures and only uses the shot where the atmospheric turbulence is at a minimum. I could be wrong.
That isn't how it works. It is a perfectly conventional astronomical telescope (a pair, actually, although I think only one is finished). As such, it is used in a variety of ways, the most common being long exposure tracked images of deep sky objects. What you are describing is called "lucky imaging", and isn't often used professionally. When it is, it is on bright objects and with very short exposures - less than a second.

The VisAO instrument (which is only one of many instruments used on this telescope) works by modifying the optical wavefront, thereby allowing the camera to operate near the theoretical resolution of the 6.5 meter objective (which is quite a bit better than the atmosphere limited resolution without active optics). The VisAO instrument isn't designed for any particular exposure time; it will be short for bright objects, and long for dim ones.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:47 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:
My guess is that the Magellan telescope takes a number of 1 minute exposures and only uses the shot where the atmospheric turbulence is at a minimum. I could be wrong.
That isn't how it works. It is a perfectly conventional astronomical telescope (a pair, actually, although I think only one is finished). As such, it is used in a variety of ways, the most common being long exposure tracked images of deep sky objects. What you are describing is called "lucky imaging", and isn't often used professionally. When it is, it is on bright objects and with very short exposures - less than a second.

The VisAO instrument (which is only one of many instruments used on this telescope) works by modifying the optical wavefront, thereby allowing the camera to operate near the theoretical resolution of the 6.5 meter objective (which is quite a bit better than the atmosphere limited resolution without active optics). The VisAO instrument isn't designed for any particular exposure time; it will be short for bright objects, and long for dim ones.
I stand by my assumption that the Magellan telescope depends upon:
BOTH modifying the optical wavefront AND "lucky imaging."

(With 1 minute disposable "frames" I'll bet it gets a lot of "lucky imaging.")
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:15 pm

neufer wrote:I stand by my assumption that the Magellan telescope depends upon:

I'd love to see some evidence of your second assumption.

I doubt very much that the other cameras used on this telescope use short exposures (because there is a terrible readout noise penalty for doing so, very few of their targets would value from one minute exposures, and to take advantage of lucky imaging requires subsecond exposure times, which makes the readout noise problem even greater).

The VisAO camera doesn't use lucky imaging because it has something better: active optics.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:44 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:
I stand by my assumption that the Magellan telescope depends upon:

I'd love to see some evidence of your second assumption.
I'd love to see a 10 minute hi-res exposure from the Magellan telescope.
Chris Peterson wrote:
I doubt very much that the other cameras used on this telescope use short exposures (because there is a terrible readout noise penalty for doing so, very few of their targets would value from one minute exposures, and to take advantage of lucky imaging requires subsecond exposure times, which makes the readout noise problem even greater).
There doesn't have to be zero turbulence just minimal turbulence.
Chris Peterson wrote:
The VisAO camera doesn't use lucky imaging because it has something better: active optics.
The larger the effective aperture the more work the active optics have to perform.

There's plenty of work for the Magellan telescope to do without forcing it to also observe the faintest stars.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:58 am

neufer wrote:I'd love to see a 10 minute hi-res exposure from the Magellan telescope.
Here are a bunch of them, most much longer than 10 minutes.
There's plenty of work for the Magellan telescope to do without forcing it to also observe the faintest stars.
It is a 6.5 meter telescope. Its primary function is observing the faintest objects!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:02 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:
I'd love to see a 10 minute hi-res exposure from the Magellan telescope.
Here are a bunch of them, most much longer than 10 minutes.
None of them super hi-res :!:
Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:
It is a 6.5 meter telescope. Its primary function is observing the faintest objects!
Not at super hi-res :!:

Large apertures with adaptive optics permit super hi-res but not for the faintest objects!

(They also permit hi-res for the faintest objects!)
Art Neuendorffer